main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Revanfan1 and DigitalMessiah like this.
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Not really, he reminds me more of Harry Bordon when it comes to looks

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
  4. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Anybody who wants to try to say that earning 1.3b+ on the third film in two years just doesn't cut it needs an awful lot of spin in order to make their point of view make since.

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  5. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    read the comments of the article Gamiel linked to lol

6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    [​IMG]

7. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The audio finally worked for me on the Tribeca Talk with George Lucas from page 268, and it sounds like Lucas endorsed the EU to a certain extent. At least enough that his treatments were apparently closer to the EU than the ST is, though I am sure that at least the post-NJO probably would have been thrown out too.

AusStig likes this.
  8. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Lol. I saw about 50 posts and about half of them was a flame war between Ewalkingdead and Gerry Delonzo.

9. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Zeta if you read the Making of books for TLJ you would find that Lucas's original ideas weren't terribly different from what we have seen. In fact if he made the ST his episode VII storyline would have turned out similar to what we got in TLJ. Luke would have still secluded himself on a deserted island and he would have been training a young female Jedi (in his treatments the name was Kira).

10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    the name was Kira even when Daisy Ridley was cast

IIRC, JJ changed it to Rey only once they started shooting

Revanfan1 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  11. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Wonder if there was a reason they decided to change the name. Probably nothing more than they thought a one syllable name flowed better than a two syllable name. Given the fast pace of TFA only having to say one syllable probably would have worked better. Plus it played into the mystery of the Rey and Ren connection.

12. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Would have been a hell of a lot harder to isolate a syllable from Sir Alec Guiness to say "Kira" in voiceover for the Forceback.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    "Yes, I was a Jedi Knight, the same as your father. Our inspiration came from an Akira Kurosawa movie."
    "What's a movie?"
    "Never mind."

Revanfan1, BobaMatt, Vthuil and 3 others like this.
  14. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Maybe there's some mystery surrounding where her name comes from.

15. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    While this might work in the Star Wars galaxy, I'm uncertain how much a martyr for a losing cause would motivate people in the real world. This is strictly for analytical purposes, and I'm only bringing it up in how it relates in a narrow way to this SW topic (absolutely no disrespect to anyone intended)--some historians believe that one of the biggest movements in history might have died out if the followers weren't convinced their martyr returned to life.

Maybe it's just the cynic in me, but I'm not sure if, realistically, Luke's sacrifice is enough. It's written to be enough for Canto Bight kids at the end of 8, and I suppose we as the audience have to accept that. But realistically, I feel Luke would have to come back as a Force ghost in public view and do something really magnificent.

16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    thermopylae? remember the alamo?

Kylun likes this.
  17. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    It might sustain a few battles (like your examples did in the real world), but the Empire built the entire FO on "Remember the Death Star (murdered by Luke)", "Remember the Emperor", "we saved the galaxy from the Clone Wars" etc. The Finn tie-in books for TFA outlines all the propaganda the FO pumps out to motivate their people. Basically, the FO has their Thermopylaes and Alamos too.

For Rey to start a new Jedi that will last a thousand generations, I think she needs more.

18. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I think you could look to the martyrdom of Husayn, the grandson of Prophet Muhammad, at Karbala in 680 ad. It inspired a few militant resistance movements against the rulers that killed him, eventually led to a rival caliphate based in Egypt(the Fatimids), and likewise resulted in the caliphate being divorced from religious authority. It's still passionately commemorated to this day, and invoked in resistance struggles by
    Shia and Sunni alike.

sidv88 likes this.
  19. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Thanks, that's great historical research I need to look into sometime! :) It's fun how many of us Star Wars fans are also history buffs. ;)

Dawud786 likes this.
  20. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Did any of you guys catch Mark Hamill’s kids cameo?

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Went for my 6th full theatrical viewing on Saturday, actually wanted to get into the 2D show but due to the fact there are other people in the world had to go for the 3D AVX (only seen it in glorious 2D only once, boo). Now I have still seen me some Last Jedi, jumped in for the last 20 minutes a few weeks ago and I have sources some consider to be .... unnatural for an insta-quickie fix (and the audio on it is pretty decent too) but 6th bona-fide viewing (only the 2nd one top to bottom without having to jump outside the theatre mid movie, actually)

In a series with a lot of intentional, and maybe sometimes unintentional parallels, I did notice recently the Anakin ignites his saber in Order 66 and Luke ignites his saber over Ben. The shots aren't exactly the same but pretty close enough, what with the saber ignition and intent to murder is all thinking they're doing it for the good of the galaxy. However, Anakin was so deep in the dark side he believed what he was doing was right, Luke had a moment of pure instinct and it passed like a fleeting shadow and all that was left was shame. So, as Han said, Luke felt responsible and he left. However, for all the kerfuffle about Luke as failure who didn't do anything, I think it's important to point out that Luke was really heartbroken and guilty over his moment of weakness. He's human and he's his father's son and, also in a series where traits being passed down is a legit theme and plot point, Vader's darkness is there, which we've seen Luke struggle with. He doesn't go down the dark path to dominate his destiny but it does flirt at his edges. Honestly, the real problem is Ben is a light sleeper. (Luke probably deserved the shack being brought in around his head, to be honest, but Ben then took it up past level 11 to evil)

And it's not as if he gives up and dies in a corner, what Luke does at the end of the movie is consistently amazing to witness. Pretty much the most powerful Force usage I think we've seen in the series, right along side Yoda moving the X-Wing. I hope we don't see any darksiders pull this trick, I think it's more powerful and dramatic if only Luke and the light can do it. And while people put a lot of emphasis on Kylo's indirect line of "You can't be doing this, the effort would kill you" I think equal weight should be given to Rey's line of Luke is gone with "Peace and purpose". And, y'know, "See you around, kid." He decided to join the Force for the greater good. And I like that Johnson is leaving it up to the viewer to question if there are twin suns on Ach-To or that Luke saw the Twin Suns. I'm definitely in the latter camp. Although the VD says it has Twin Suns, which I wish I could scrub from my brain, but whatever, quibble. Amazing final moment from Luke is what I'm getting at, and he would sacrifice himself to save one, a dozen, a planetful, he is inherently good.

I brought this up in another thread but while people may say that Rey is unbelievably perfect and doesn't make mistakes, I'd like to point out that she was wrong about Kylo. Like really wrong. Like really really dire consequences for the galaxy wrong. Also pulling a lighsaber on Luke Skywalker wasn't exactly a good look either.

The First Order chase of the Resistance I buy they didn't go for anything more fancy than slowly following them because they're overconfident. That is also a consistent thing in baddies in the series so I buy it. Also we get Captain Canady barely contained rage at the ineptness of the First Order leadership with his "Five Bloody Minutes Ago!" so they being a tad dopey is acknowledged in the film itself. Also, hey, bonus points for novel readers, Poe's "About his mother" line to Hux adds resonance if one has read Aftermath were lil'Hux was a throway bastard child so anything mentioning his parentage seems like a good way to get in his head.

Poe's arc, while some people don't like Poe being hothead and wrong, I think works nicely in him being the hotshot, super confident guy in Force Awakens (heck he's still kinda in control when he's captured by the First Order, aside from Kylo yanking the map location from his brain) so this has him going full steam ahead in what he thinks is right, cuz he usually is, so it's interesting to see him knocked down a peg. And Poe has one of my favourite lines in the movie "Explain it again, but simpler." and "So we blow that one up!" "I like that attitude but no." (also, aside, I still find Rose/Finn's introduction to be consistently hilarious, especially everything Tran does in the scene). And as for Holdo not telling Poe, he was demoted! Not in your clearance, buddy. Above your pay grade.

Also I have to give Billie Lourd props for her Lt. Connix, not that she's a huge presence in the movie but, damn, she delivers the hell out of the movie's first few opening lines snapping "FORGET THE TRANSPORTS, THERE'S NO TIME!" Also her surrender to Leia is really funny to watch, especially if you consider the out-of-universe connotations of the moment. But, yeah, more Connix hollering in Episode IX is what I'm getting it.

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Ganner worked because the Yuuzhan Vong already had a movement going with the Shamed One's. And Nom Anor probably helped it grow during the FH trilogy. Jacen probably told the NR as well. There really isn't a known faction in the FO rallying around Luke Skywalker or even FN-2187. Maybe in a tv series set between TLJ and E9 or E9 sets it up.

23. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    It's a religious thing, for me. Not as much a historical matter. But i think it is one of the more relevant of such examples, because Canon Luke Skywalker is a figure of legend, myth and spirituality in the GFFA more than he is a historical figure.

The crucifixion of Jesus is similar, too.

24. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Well, if Lucas had done it, it might have worked, well, at least had a better shot than what we got, because this just doesn't work. I am starting to believe I don't necessarily love Star Wars, but George Lucas as a filmmaker and the idea of a shared multimedia franchise.

25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    He's not trying to inspire a faction in the First Order. He's inspiring the galaxy, which is shown at the end with the children telling the story of what happened.