main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Connix is a supercharged, 21st century Toryn Farr

This is a good thing

2. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Lucas would have scrapped the EU as well. And if Lucas was still making these movies you would likely still be exactly where you are now cursing the current state of Star Wars. You need to remember that TCW was largely Lucas's direction. If Filoni had total control then like he does now under Rebels the series likely would have been kinder to the EU.

3. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah, I probably wouldn't be happy with what Lucas would have done either, but I have liked everything he did besides TCW and unless they release his treatments, we will never really know. I haven't seen anything to indicate that Rebels is any different that TCW.

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Multi-verse it all.

TrandoJedi likes this.
  5. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Micro-Series General Grievous versus TLJ Apparition Luke please.

BigAl6ft6, Vthuil and Force Smuggler like this.
  6. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Rebels jives with all the other material out there a lot better than TCW did. If it doesn't fit in with it it pretty much makes efforts to avoid conflicts. Throughout the four years Rebels has been on there hasn't been any contradictions to speak of (maybe people can find very minor contradictions if they choose to go digging but otherwise there hasn't been any conflicts). Pablo and Filoni just work down the hall from eachother and they seem to do a good job of keeping all that stuff ironed out.

Zeta you may not know but Filoni's original pitch for TCW was to have a ship crew much like we see in the Rebels show and their story would have taken place outside the scope of the war (dealing with a lot of the underworld crime). Lucas was the one though that said he wanted to have the series be about the movie characters.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  7. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Lol [face_rofl]

Yes and making Ahsoka Anakin's apprentice rather than Plo Koon’s was the best thing George did for both her as a character and the show.

8. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I feel like Lucas would have at least tried some new stuff. It might not have worked, but it wouldn't have felt like "we're doing the OT all over again, just now cramming it into a much shorter length of time

AusStig and sidv88 like this.
  9. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    sidv88, meet Jesus Christ.

Revanfan1 and Outsourced like this.
  10. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Unfortunately for me, I didn't buy that at all. He didn't do enough to make it remotely convincing imo. So the "martyr" thing fell completely flat for me. Also the FO would have to have no common sense whatsoever to not see through it.

11. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Luke Skywalker has literally fallen into legend at this point though. A Jedi Master of unparalleled skill that managed to defeat two of the most powerful Dark Side users in the galaxy. For someone like that, it would be easy to do what Luke does in the battle. His actual skills don't matter as much as how he's perceived.

BigAl6ft6 and Revanfan1 like this.
  12. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Yep, my favourite part of the OT was the bit where Vader became the Emperor, the Rebels were reduced to nothing, and when the old Jedi master did the amazing thing that inspired the popular imagination across the galaxy.

Classic OT stuff there

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Kira you say
    [​IMG]

Stymi likes this.
  14. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    Apropos of nothing, it's funny to go back and see that a lot of the early negative reviews of RotJ concentrated specifically on it being a retread of SW 77. 'We start on Tatooine again, there's a Death Star AGAIN that has to be blown up AGAIN' etc. Now obviously, RotJ is in fact a very different movie to ANH (and less similar than, say, TFA) but the idea that Lucas always at least brought lots of new and fresh ideas definitely seems like a newer conceit.

15. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I think that conceit really centers on what he did with the PT, and i guess there's amnesia about what the general reception to all of that really was.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

16. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    When they do the sequel sequel trilogy, everyone will be pining for the ST, because "it did things right."

Ghost, Revanfan1 and Force Smuggler like this.
  17. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    It's generational. I think we all have a fixed idea of what Star Wars "is" to us, with varying degrees of intensity, so we're always judging the next story to come along and shift the universe from what's been established into new territory. The fans who grew up with the prequels are now (seemingly) the vocal majority who find issue with what the sequels are doing differently (or "wrongly"), whereas a fair amount of original fans don't seem to mind the new stuff so much (apart from maybe issues like Luke's characterization) because of the generational buffer of the prequels between the originals and the sequels.

Outsourced and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  18. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    As someone who faced similar difficulties in years past, I have to agree. I've faced demoralizing defeat before and it can be so crushing that you want to give up. But I've learned that perseverance does pay off. You can succeed if you believe and never give up (assuming your goals are somewhat realistic).

I know that you can succeed if you keep at it. Yes, do or do not, there is no try. But I have learned that every time you fail, you learn something, and you can use that knowledge to prevent failure on the next attempt. Keep at it and one day you'll actually succeed. The Jedi and Sith both understood this.

Legends Luke never gave up for good. Even after Jacen's horrendous betrayals, Luke Skywalker kept on going. And he won.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  19. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    That's the vocal minority, Axe. Keep in mind the majority is the casual audience that goes to about four movies a year and enjoys basically whatever they see, but they can't tell you the difference between Star Wars and Star Trek.

20. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    So, exactly the same as canon Luke then, who also didn't give up for good in the end and then won.

I mean Legends Luke literally turned to the Dark Side for a while! That's quite a bit worse than TLJ Luke.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  21. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Canon Luke doesn't give up either, by the end; he suffers crushing demoralization, but is reminded by Yoda that failure is a learning process as you say; he then keeps going, and wins, securing his legacy in the process. It's not an entirely healthy perspective to demand that heroes must persevere no matter what, because that's an impossible expectation for the rest of us; TLJ is showing someone succumbing to the same depression that a lot of us suffer under, but also shows him rising out of it with the help of his friends, instead of simply relying on some nebulous sense of innate inner goodness to see him through adversity.

Yes, I was speaking mostly about the fan community; the majority of the vocal minority, if you will.

22. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    I think even that's a stretch of an assumption, and I'm not sure what the proper way to conduct a poll would be to find out, but I don't see any reason to argue too much over that.

23. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I feel like Rose is the new Toryn Farr? Whizkid technician with a pilot sister who died/was gruesomely wounded defending the escape vessels during an evacuation, links up with Imperial-affiliated defector(s) during the ensuing chase and discovers her inner hero... :p

re: Lucas's original ST concept, come on y'all, the barebones setup of "a young woman seeks out Luke Skywalker, who is now living as a hermit at the First Jedi Temple" absolutely does not equate to "the ST we got is basically the same thing Lucas envisioned!" It could be, anything's possible, but it just as likely would've been completely different.

ImpKnight, Zeta1127 and Gamiel like this.
  24. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    @Trip

I thought you quit this thread? ;)

I get the impression that Lucas' plot idea was literally "a girl finds a hermit Luke Skywalker."

25. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    yeah I couldn't help myself.