main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think you might be right to a point anyway. I’m an OOT generation person who liked two of the three prequels and just prefer that the ST not shake things up too much regarding the good vs. evil fight. And I like cool space battles, which the ST has delivered.

I liked TLJ better than TFA because of the humor and because of Canto Blight. And I was fine with what happened to Luke. His last line on Crait was one of his best in the entire saga. (I’ve posted that somewhere before and I apologize if it was here.)

It seems to me that PT fans have a particular loyalty to Lucas and did not want Star Wars to become too corporate, a viewpoint I understand because I felt that way when the sale was initially announced. And it also seems to me that people who might have been inclined to like the PT for mythological and literary themes are drawn to a murky light-and-dark dynamic of Rey and Kylo Ren. (Again, I don’t want to pigeonhole anyone, these are trends I’ve seen and in no way an indictment of specific groups of fans.)

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
  3. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    This whole paragraph describes me, certainly. The Force Awakens was everything I feared about post-buyout Star Wars; very slick, very manufactured, very fun but with nothing to dig in to. The Last Jedi gives me all that mythological depth that I crave from this series.

darthcaedus1138 and Gamiel like this.
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But why don't she tell the rest of the crew? Possibly only three more people seems to know whats going on and among the people that are active in the mutininy was at least one of the bridge crew, and the rest of the Resistance members (beside the three with Holdo) don't seem to have any problem with Poe taking over. This shows that Holdo has done a bad job showing why they should follow her or that she actually have a real plan and not just limping along hoping for something to come up.

I'm saying this as someone that has no problem with Poe being wrong and overall like Holdo

AusStig and mnjedi like this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Ha ha.

6. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Holdo was in charge because every one of her superiors just got killed and she was the only one conveniently not on the bridge. In that sort of situation you would want to do something to inspire loyalty and not let your remaining crew think you had given up and accepted everyone's inevitable deaths.

Havac and Vialco like this.
  7. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I don't think I can go through another Holdo discussion

I don't think there's anything new to be said about it

ima abandon thread like she was abandoning the Raddus

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    By doing something that create continuity problems since it creats the question why nobody have done that before? :p

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  9. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    Literally just posted this over in the other forum, but think a big reason Holdo doesn't tell Poe is that she doesn't trust him not to immediately start interfering, because he can't stand sitting still and he doesn't respect her anyway. That would also account for not telling the people closest to Poe, who join him in his mutiny, since they are also likely to tell him.

Basically, she calculates that the risks of Poe messing everything up by charging off with a Big Hero Plan are worse if he hears the plan than if he doesn't. You can argue that she's wrong to think that, but I don't think it's an unreasonable guess.

Outsourced and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  10. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
  11. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Read the rest of my post, Jesus got a following due to resurrecting, something Luke won't do. My post outlines how historians feel Christianity may have died out if people didn't believe he resurrected.

Luke may need to have a Force ghost appearance and miracle in public view to really motivate the Resistance (possibly in 9). What we got right now--he just died. That's all the general public knows right now.

This may motivate a few battles like Alamo, Thermopylae etc but not a religion intended to last another thousand generations. And the FO has their martyrs too: Death Star crew, Palpatine, Snoke.

12. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    sorry DP

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

AusStig likes this.
  14. Senator Wan

Senator Wan Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 13, 2017
    It’s possible that only the members of Fleet Command were given the proper clearance to know about the Crait retreat plan. Leia May have ordered that their plan should not be discussed with anyone outside of the council. It’s not like she could foresee the attack on the main bridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    does anyone else still get chills when the chorus kicks in at the end of the track The Last Jedi?

with flashbacks to the reveal and the audience cheering

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    Well, as I say, we don't know who she tells. The only people we know for certain she doesn't tell are Poe's closest allies like Lieutenant Connix and the Elio Asty lookalike pilot. They are the people who join Poe in his mutiny. Most of the Resistance are presumably very confused during the whole mutiny affair and it's entirely unclear what they know or don't know. But it makes sense to restrict the information if she's worried about Poe charging off to be the Big Hero and ruining the plan as soon as he hears about it.

17. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    You do realize she started making out with him like two seconds after this video ended right? So maybe you do want more Mortis and you are just being coy about it?

18. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    For some reason I'd like to see 9 open on an even darker note. Open with a group of light side devotees in a seance trying to contact Luke (possibly including Broomboy). There is no answer. Then, the Knights of Ren attack, brutally cutting down the seance members while they scream for Luke to help them.

Only Broomboy is left alive. The lead Knight of Ren pulls off his mask to reveal himself as Kylo. Kylo says, "Luke's not going to answer. Never did, never will." He then kills Broomboy.

Turn the last light of hope from 8 into a note of despair, to really ramp up the stakes in 9. Since it's the end of a trilogy, everyone just assumes the good guys will win. Even if they eventually do, make Kylo and his forces so overpowering that it just seems hopeless for the heroes--it will make it feel worth it if the heroes actually win.

AusStig and Force Smuggler like this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    @jamminjedi23 Yeah, I love that movie. I was just throwing some humor in the form of a clip regarding my head canon that Anakin and Obi-Wan had some bad spices.

20. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Heck no, please. That sounds extremely cringe-inducing and dark for the sake of being dark. It would also ruin the end of TLJ the same way people say Luke tossing the saber away ruined the end of TFA (something I'd rather not see people complain about again, thanks).

21. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    It kind of paralleled the opening of the Dark Knight (group of masked men attack innocent people, leader of masked men unmasks to reveal himself as the villain). So I was feeling a Nolan vibe when thinking this up, and Nolan is one of the most successful filmmakers there is... :p

22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    i have an emotional attachment to broomboi

i wouldn't be able to handle it

23. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Ok, Kylo will then face the camera after this scene and say "You're still holding on! Let it all die."

Then another Knight of Ren will say, "Supreme Leader, who are you talking to?"

And we've got our first comedy scene.

24. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Nolan wouldnt be a good fit for Star Wars though.

No one has needed to *see* Luke Skywalker up to this point to be inspired by him. Before TLJ people are already telling myths, legends and tall tales about Luke Skywalker. What happens on Crait is another addition to the galactic zeitgeist. Kids enslaved/indentured on Canto Bight are already begging for Luke Skywalker stories(The Legends of Luke Skywalker). Now they have a new tale to tell, and this one strikes directly against the First Order.

Jesus was allegedly seen by a handful of people who were his close followers. He wasnt seen by people hundreds of thousands of miles away. Yet, the story inspired faith as it spread despite people not directly witnessing his resurrection.

You've got to imagine that even "Kylo Ren's lightsaber didnt even hurt him!" is spreading. There may be members of the First Order that saw that and jump ship.

I think you underestimate what's needed for heroic deeds to inspire people.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Senator Wan, Kylun, BigAl6ft6 and 4 others like this.
  25. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    You have a good point. As an atheist myself, it's probably why I'm viewing this from my point of view. I haven't seen Jesus resurrected, I've tried prayer when I was younger and have usually had exactly the opposite happen (often and severely enough to the point I try to avoid prayer in fear of subconsciously causing what I'm trying to prevent. I'm now suffering from a health condition from which there is no cure and which some have killed themselves over--severely loud permanent tinnitus, although my body has *somehow* managed to better adjust in the years since I first got it). So I will admit I'm seeing this from my own "skeptic" point of view.

I guess I'm seeing things as how I would if I were in the galaxy. I'd probably take an ANH Luke stance "It's not like I like the First Order, I hate it, but there's nothing I can do."

There's also the fact that more people in the galaxy have a low midichlorian count than not. A non Force user--even if s/he believes what s/he heard of Luke, due to being aware of the science and genetics behind the Force--what does that have to do with him or her if they can't use the Force themselves?

And the people who sign up for Rey's Jedi training course--as Qui-Gon said, it's not an easy life. And this is a galaxy where we now know Luke was only able to find 13 Jedi trainees in 30 years and a handful of those went bad (so like almost half his class was bad).