main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Building on my theory before, it's funny how the Force brings Rey back to Luke.

Luke's pissed cause even when cut off the Force keeps ruining his plan.

BigAl6ft6, Kylun and Dawud786 like this.
  2. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    This is one of those things where i have to remember to fight for what i love(Star Wars and women) rather than fight what i hate(MRAs and neo-fascists).

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

my kind of scum and Jedi Ben like this.
  3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004

RJ's response to the misogynist cut.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  4. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    HENCEFORTH you shall be known as... Rake boi

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6, Kylun, Vthuil and 2 others like this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    My reading was that Luke was using that as an excuse to justify his continued non-action. But maybe that's just me.

AusStig likes this.
  6. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    It's kind of interesting. Luke is sort of an inversion of Kreia(i think i said exactly this in thia thread or another) here. He doesnt want to destroy the Force, but he does want to bypass the apocalyptic conflicts that periodically erupt with Force-users(Jedi particularly) as the locii of those conflicts.

Now, I dont think what Luke has to realize is some way to finally end the cycle... because that's arguably not possible. Philosophically, metaphysically... but, perhaps, more importantly for the sake of the franchise itself. If you want to lay the entire enterprise of Star Wars to rest, then you create a story where-in cosmic evil is defeated forever and ever. This isnt happening.

Luke understands the cyclical nature of the universe and the Force. If life, death, rebirth are inevitable and an essential feature of the universe so too is conflict between adherent to the light and the will of the Force, and those who wish to subvert the will of the Force and wallow in darkness. Those that stand in the light shouldn't glory in war and strife, neither should they shrink from defending those who would be victimized by the dwellers of darkness.

7. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    The core of the film, and indeed its big pay-off (when was the last Star Wars climax with such little cross-cutting and such a singular focus? Maybe AOTC; I would argue ANH) is all about a non-violent resolution, and indeed it is at the heart of all Luke's actions, including chucking the babykiller saber over his shoulder: the last time he held a saber was his greatest moment of shame. The impulse of the Jedi, and indeed the impulse of his first mentor is towards violence. As I've said elsewhere "there are alternatives to fighting" is one of the worst jokes in SW history given the behaviour and philosophy of the man who utters it.

In doing this Johnson actually addresses the problem of TFA's inadequacy as a sequel to ROTJ, this concept that we're back in the same mess. Johnson posits that if that is the case, then ROTJ's resolution isn't good enough... which bears out on scrutiny. Blowing up another Death Star, and Anakin being driven by compassion just as he was when he was driven to the dark side does not ring with permanence, no matter how much half-hearted clapping Lando can muster. That TLJ offers one of the more unique resolutions to an action-adventure/fantasy tentpole opens the door -- whether or not Abrams and Terrio step through it is the burning question.

8. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Don't blame the Jedi Order for Anakin Skywalker's greed and selfishness. Anakin should have known better than to trust a Sith Lord. The Jedi Order didn't fail Anakin. He failed them.

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think it's fair to say the entire setup of the Jedi Order didn't exactly help Anakin or keep him in a fairly happy and/or stable place. The "Order" of the Jedi Order seems to be a problem.

10. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Yup yup just tolerate slavery and claim it's not in your jurisdiction and deny that a 9-year-old who has grown up with his mother might actually need her and that his care for her isn't some perverse, inappropriate thing. Good good.

Also, while functioning as a branch of the Galactic Republic, keep the fact that your ability to use the Force, the very reason you are used by the Republic, is diminishing, yeah, keep that from the Senate. Good plan. Withholding information from the Senate is of course the Jedi way--

"Send a distress signal. And then inform the Senate that all aboard were killed!"
    "The Senate has been informed that Jedha was destroyed in a mining accident"

Well. At least they were the guardians of peace and justice in the galaxy--

[​IMG]
    Ah.

Jedi Princess and TrandoJedi like this.
  11. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Imma let you finish, but I dunno what the Jedi Order not being able to Force well has anything to do with Anakin Skywalker being a bad bad boy.

12. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Look.

@The_Four_Dot_Elipsis , @DigitalMessiah , @BigAl6ft6

@Jester J Binks , @Gamiel , @sidv88

(And @Jedi Ben , wherever he falls on this crazy scale)

Between those that love the movie and those that hate it, there is rarely any agreement in this thread. But, can we not all put aside our differences for just a few short posts, and come together in an important task?

Laughing derisively at the guy that re-edited the movie to remove female characters.

I'm counting on all of you.

13. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Considering it is titled "aka the Chauvinist Cut", I believe Anonymous is "tooling you".

But if you click on similar categories, you get this gem
    Are Men Obsolete?: The Munk Debate On Gender

So maybe they can make the opposite The Last Jedi edit.

And we can ignore it all.

14. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    There's an entire community of dudes that are proudly male chauvinists and believe chauvinism to be right and true. There's a striking overlap between that community and the alt-right, which has a striking overlap with neo-Nazis and other assorted fascists. I know, it's ridiculous on all counts. However, much like the First Order, there are people who believe bigotry and fascism are actually good and right and true.

15. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    Rian is tweeting against it. And here I thought Rian was Kylo. Turns out he's Hux.

I want a fan edit with nothing but the "humor" parts. We can title it the "Anything for my Princess Edit"

16. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Sexist idiot takes the time to edit low quality Chinese camcorder footage in order to remove women from blockbuster movie.

Can't make this stuff up. It's allways amusing when stupid people like the guy who made this "cut" unintentionally lapse into self parody while being to stupid to realize it.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  17. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    For one it didn't quite need to, I'm lumping that in with the fact that this isn't exactly an ethical and transparent organisation. To say the least.

But come to think of it that's surely a contributing factor towards them not being able to figure out Palpatine, which is part of the puzzle obviously.

But yeah, the key factor is he had a parent, still wants one ("He's like a father to me!") but instead gets a brotherhood.

18. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The original Star Wars was noted for being extremely straightforward with its heroes and villains: Leia wearing a pure white gown, Luke wearing his white robes, Vader wearing pure black. That sentiment has been carried forward in the series even though it was abandoned almost immediately by The Empire Strikes Back, not just by the revelation that Vader is Luke's father, but by the fact that Luke's costume is gray, and while he ostensibly goes to Bespin to rescue his friends, upon finding Leia, doesn't actually make any effort to rescue her and instead prioritizes killing Vader to avenge his father. The Vader revelation also impugns Obi-Wan Kenobi's character by revealing he lied to Luke, along with Yoda, which Return of the Jedi is pretty on the nose about.

Despite that, people don't like the fact that these films don't follow the formula of the original in which the good guys wear white and the bad guys wear black, and tend to default to the position that the Jedi of the prequels are "correct" without applying critical thought. It tends to be an issue even in the Expanded Universe, I've noticed, where two different characters both perform morally dubious actions, but if one is "wearing white" then that's the right COA, but if the character is "wearing black" it's villainous. Which is to say, if the novel itself doesn't cast their action is "bad," then a lot of readers don't ever entertain the notion of it being such.

19. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    Everything you just said was wrong.

20. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    You might need to watch TESB again.

But I suppose it makes sense that TLJ made you this butthurt if you watched a different TESB than actually exists.

21. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    Well this explains quite a bit.

And how many times are you going to just keep throwing out the word butthurt? You really come off butthurt.

ImpKnight and srd5090 like this.
  22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm not the one whining about a movie for over a month.

You should look into getting some hobbies, dude

Vialco likes this.
  23. srd5090

srd5090 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 2, 2012
    DigitalMessiah is a whole basket of butthurt. Just go read old threads about post-NJO Legends continuity. :D

He also enjoys using strawmen, taking shots at 'people who don't get the costumes!'.

Jester J Binks likes this.
  24. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Wait, so I upset you so much you looked in my post history?

wow I'm sorry

kinda creepy though

25. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    I have no time for hobbies, what with all the pain in my posterior.
    It must be from all that TESB viewing.

I should just spell it out for you since it really appears Star Wars movies are difficult for you.

Luke gets in a firefight with Leia & Co. captors. But of course, it is just a trap. When he tries to follow the evasive party, he is *forced* into the chamber with Vader. He didn't prioritize it. It was a trap. It was a big part of the movie ... the trap and it being a trap .... to trap him.