main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Boy, "plot holes" is really getting a workout in all the wrong positions.

It's arguable that fifth-degree droids would only be simple enough for menial tasks, whereas living beings would be preferred for sensitive areas (especially if those beings are also loyal stormtroopers trained from birth).

Outsourced, DigitalMessiah and Gamiel like this.
  2. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    However, there should be humanoid cleaning droids, surely.

Jester J Binks likes this.
  3. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Cleaning droids[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

godisawesome , AusStig, Stymi and 3 others like this.
  4. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I don't think The STs issues in China have anything to do with the quality of the movies or racism or the actors not being pretty enough. The films simply are trying to cash in on nostalgia that the Chinese market simply does not have.

TLJ has it even rougher in this regard because it takes the extra step of subverting the nostalgia the film is running on.

5. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    There's also a very limited appeal in China with Star Wars, period.

League of Gods, Monkey King etc are a bigger draw in terms of sfx blockbusters.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

6. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    Is that Iron Man 3 move of inserting scenes exclusive to China and throwing in big, local actors still a thing? Cause I'm wondering what Episode IX's options are.

Does anyone happen know what the biggest Western film in China is that deals with Eastern culture/spirituality/themes?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  7. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005

Yeah, it's hard trying to predict what will appeal to the Chinese (or any country actually) market.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

8. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Kylo Ren should lose a hand and get a bionic replacement in China

Havac likes this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    LFL put Mark Hamill up for Lead actor awards consideration, which I do agree with and admire the spirit of them doing it cuz Luke ain't a supporting character in the film, he's a freakin' lead. Heck the movie is called The Last Jedi. But I'd wager they might have gotten more Oscar nomination potential if they had moved him to Best Supporting because the Oscars seems to sway a bit more towards outside the box / "genre" on those ones. But, still, good for sticking to their guns cuz he's definitely a lead.

I think Entertainment Weekly said it was his best performance in the series, which I would agree with but I frankly dig anything Hamill does in any Star Wars movie so it's all kind of the same to me. I would put the last 20 minutes Hamill does in Last Jedi up there with some of my favourite, actorly things I've seen him do in a Star Wars movie. And it isn't even THAT much dialogue, but it's a hellova lot of emotion conveyed.

Revanfan1, spicer, TrandoJedi and 8 others like this.
  10. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    His last closeup is the best 5 seconds of acting in the series. His whole performance is pretty damn astonishing. But he should have been campaigned Support; he disappears for a massive chunk of the film. The only male leads are Isaac and Boyega.

I'm also going with "Luke in TLJ = Vader in ESB" down to the point that they both get a shot where we start on a figure lying on the deck and then tilt up to see them standing over IT ALL RHYMES

11. Gharlane

Gharlane Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 30, 2000
    This I think is true. The MCU and Transformers landed in a sweet spot when you had a large number of theaters getting built and set up, which is the period that was right after the PT had finished. So to a lot of the current audience 10-11 years later, there is nostalgia for the MCU/TFs since that was for many of them their first big ticket special effects sciencefiction/action flick. I imagine there is similar trends with the F&F franchise.

12. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Au contraire...

[​IMG]

13. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Mouse droids with opposable thumbs are legends

14. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Yes.

Star Wars: Mouse Droids With Opposable Thumbs: Legends of the MSE Series: A Novel of the Galactic Empire
    Matthew Stover
    Del Rey
    November 2018
    Hardcover
    $28.99​

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I've always wanted a gritty followup to Thumb Wars.

Thumper09 likes this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I googled Mark Hamill + Oscar.

[​IMG]

Also I can't help but remember what happens next. Which would be amazing.

17. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    I don't think Mark was acting.

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  19. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    (George signs Disney contract)
    Bob Iger: We will now throw out your treatments, make our own movies, and release an 'Art of The Force Awakens' book claiming our movie is what you intended all along!
    George: What have I done??!
    Iger: You're fulfilling your destiny, George. :emperor:

20. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Do you honestly think George is all that upset? Especially seeing as how much shade is being thrown at Rian deservedly or not? Given that he also is on record of liking both films despite not doing what he would’ve planned?

As an aside I’d like George for a spin-off. Won’t happen as he’s happy to have moved on but I can dream.

21. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I don't know what he thinks right now. In the heat of the moment he did compare Disney to "slavers" which he later rightfully apologized for in the release of the Force Awakens. We can assume something about 7 made him unhappy though.

What I posted here was just a joke.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  22. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    Sure but I was thinking of instances like Disney's Mulan or Star Wars which are successful worldwide yet don't make much noise in China. Probably should have mentioned that but... yeah. [face_beatup]

23. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    I do think George is probably delighted at both people calling TFA an ANH retread AND the backlash to TLJ though. "See, they hate it if it does new things AND they hate it if it stays the same!!" (Not saying this a fair take but if you're GL and still annoyed about the reception of the prequels...)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Ghost, BigAl6ft6 and Gamiel like this.
  24. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    I think George Lucas is smart enough to realize the wide valley between subverting subversion for the sake of subversion and paint by numbers retread.

25. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    He's probably smart enough to realise that TLJ isn't subversion for subversion's sake.