main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    It was beautifully made.

2. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    George is probably just happy he's not subjected to "George Lucas raped my childhood" anymore. He *wanted* out because of the fanbase bashing him for the PT and TCW. He would have gotten just as much hate as Kennedy and Johnson are getting from vocal TLJ haters for hia version of the ST.

If i had to venture a guess, GL's ST may have gone in directions this fandom almost couldnt stomach. I'd be willing to bet he'd incorporate his more mythological ideas(like Mortis) into the sequels. I cant imagine he wouldnt have been bashed for whatever he did with Kira Solo.

So, on the one hand, he's probably doing the same thing many of us are "well, that's not my head canon" and, on the other, he's experiencing immense relief at not having poured years of his life and heart and soul into the project and gotten raked over the coals for it. And he got $4 billion in the deal. Plus, he is retroactively considered the only person that could have done the sequel trilogy justice by all those same people that slagged him off for the PT. It's pretty damn good to be George right now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Stymi and Gamiel like this.
  3. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    The same people that slagged him off for the PT are the same that don't like the ST? That's a bold statement.

4. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Guarantee there's plenty of crossover.

5. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    But that wasn't your point. Everything I've witnessed shared online over a vast array of websites is that the people that love the ST are by and large, the people that hated the PT.

sidv88 likes this.
  6. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I kind of wish the ST went more Mortis but I don't think it would convert well to film.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  7. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    That's entirely anecdotal.

8. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    It'd be a tough sell, for sure.

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  9. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
  10. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    Go read what you typed again. You made a statement either based on your own limited view or just made it up, which would then beg the question - why even say it?

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Dude. Wine is $9 a glass in the theater. You know how much I would need for live-action Mortis make sense?

12. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I've seen it all from both camps.

Jester J Binks likes this.
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    From one thing to another - Since this is Lit do I take it that some people here have read the Poe comics. I just heard that the way Poe is presented in the comic don't really fit with the whole "he needs to stop being a self-willed hot shot pilot and be able to take orders from your superiors" arc he has in the movie, is this true?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  14. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I have the first TPB and i cant extrapolate that much from it to say.

15. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    The reviewer mainstream love 7 and 8 while they hated 1 and 2. a lot of the people I see praising 7 and 8 are extremely vocal about how much they hate the prequels. There might be crossover, but I haven't really seen it in a sizable sense.

Jj specifically shot things and wrote things to not be like the PT.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    AusStig likes this.
  16. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I mean "the prequels are very bad movies" is a remarkably mainstream opinion.

17. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Especially when RLM actively praised TFA and were lukewarm on the criticism of TLJ

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  18. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    WTF movie theater are you going to that serves wine? All I get is expensive water and fountain drinks created from bland, tasteless syrup.

And Reese's Pieces.

LelalMekha likes this.
  19. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    You are going to the wrong theaters my friend! Most drinks are overpriced but quite a few Aussie theaters that aren’t the complexes sell alcohol and decent bar/pub food.

Lucas says a lot of things. Then he contradicts those things because he comes up with something better or has changed his mind about a certain theme or characters motivations as is his right. His referral to slavers was a weird moment for him given that from all accounts it was he who approached Disney in the first place. Regardless his since said on record that he likes both the new ST films. People can take it or leave it really. He could hate them to high heaven for all I care really, it wouldn’t change how I feel about them :)

20. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I know some AMC theaters do - or some type of alcohol, at least.

PCCViking likes this.
  21. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    The AMC I work for does.

22. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    I've heard that complaint, but I don't see it. The last few arcs have included the exact relationship with Leia he has in the films, so it's been great to see that progress.

Though, his arc in the film isn't "be able to take orders", it's "be a responsible leader", so maybe the confusion stems from there.

BigAl6ft6, Gamiel and The Raddinator like this.
  23. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    Yeah, I agree with this. I'd cite especially issue 14 (my personal favourite of the series to date), in which Leia actually grounds him and refuses to allow him to fly in part because she's trying to get him to see beyond his narrow focus on just being a hero and wants him to think about being a leader. I'd go so far as to say that not only does it not contradict his arc in the film but it actively helps set it up. (Not to mention that the rest of that story is then all about the Resistance desperately needing fuel....)

BigAl6ft6, AV-6R7 and Gamiel like this.
  24. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
  25. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    I’ve already seen a wealth of fanart posters that are way better than the official ones. Always the case though.