main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    His father needs to be cast as General Hux's father in such a spinoff.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
  3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I still struggle to believe that the ST is going to be a trilogy after TLJ.

It feels so much more like part 2 of 6 than it does 2 of 3.

"The war is just beginning"

4. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    This is why I'm super optimistic for a major post-TLJ tie-in work.

Jedi Ben and CooperTFN like this.
  6. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Ugh, reyally? That's reyvolting. A better title would be Reyturn of the Jedi. Or maybe Reyvenge of the Reyn. They have to reyveal those Knights of Reyn eventually, that would be a big reyvelation, whatever their reylation to Kylo. :p

Maybe they'll announce Episode IX will be a two-part movie, then reyvise it to be a three-part movie after part 1 is reyleased, after they reyalize how much more money they can reycoup from stretching it out. It worked with the Hobbit, so why not.

Ok, that's all the re- words I can think of (and kind of fit in one post).

Dr. Steve Brule and Gamiel like this.
  7. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    No, that's not the...

n/m

8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Absolutely agreed—the big divergence I have with a close friend who didn’t like TLJ is that she sees the ST as the end of a three-act story while I see it as the beginning of a new one. Though I do hope the carryover hinges on the personal stories and they do something else with the war part because I’m not convinced the FO is interesting enough for six movies.

darthcaedus1138 and Ulicus like this.
  9. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    TFA and TLJ really do feel like a two-part movie, much more than any of the earlier Star Wars movies. As much as TLJ tries to tilt a lot of stuff from TFA, and the series in general, on its head, it does wrap up (regardless of how people liked the wrapping) pretty much everything set up in TFA. Combine that with the fact that it's the only movies essentially without a time jump, and between them Han, Luke, and Leia are now gone, I feel like the sequel trilogy is going to feel like the reverse of the prequels. TPM feels like the outlier there; and I can't help but feel like IX will feel very removed from TFA-TLJ.

I actually haven't watched Rogue One and ANH back to back. I wonder if that would give a similar feeling. I don't imagine, though, given the major shift in character focus.

10. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Hm, I wonder what my reaction would have been if instead of announcing a sequel trilogy they had just said they were starting a new series of movies. Like right now I think of it as 1-3, 4-6 and 7-9, if instead they had started with a new #1 movie or something. I think they've got plans for at least four Fantastic Beast movies too, as a comparison. Well, they were playing it safe so they were always going to stick with the Episode numbering, but they're branching out a lot more now, with one-off movies like Rogue One and Solo, not to mention the Johnson trilogy and the movies that the GoT showrunners are working on.

I do kind of wish maybe they could have started out with a "prequel" to TFA, showing Ben Solo and Snoke before things went to hell. But then they wouldn't be able to tease so many mysteries either, I guess.

It would be nice if there was a major tie-in work after they finally finish IX. I'm honestly not sure there's been a big tie-in novel to the sequel movies so far. Like Before the Awakening adds a lot of good background to TFA, but that's not on the level of Approaching Storm (I think that was the one that set up a lot of TPM elements?) or Labyrinth of Evil. Well, hopefully there'll be more stuff before IX comes out.

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    While TLJ was interesting in that it's the only Star Wars movie to kick off the second after the film ended, the way Abrams ended it almost demanded "Immediate pick up from that moment". Now Abrams seems like he's going to want a bit of space to establish the groundwork / plot for episode IX. Nothing about Last Jedi seems to scream "what happened the next second"? Frankly, if we're going to have the good guys defeat the galaxy spanning bad guys, they need to skip some time to build up from the 8 people left on the Falcon at the end. So I'm thinking it's more likely Ep IX will have a time skip and LFL Story Group will know about it and we may get a solid year of lead-in materiel to cover the gap (or at least the tail end of TLJ kind of like how Lost Stars/Aftermath/Shattered Empire had the end of ROTJ to deal with). So hopefully sometime this summer we may get announcements about tie-in content that would bridge VIII to IX. Or maybe announcements by the end of 2018.

Gamiel likes this.
  12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The First Order uses its hyperspace tracking technology to catch up with the Falcon and kills everybody on it.

THE END.

darklordoftech, Vialco and mnjedi like this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    "I acted so hard, I joined the Force!"
    "Is that what happened...?"

14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wish that Snoke was Sly Moore.

15. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    This is honestly reading more like a three-part establishing pilot for the Ongoing Disney Star Wars Universe where the Resistance will be battling the First Order for the fate of the galaxy, while the Jedi Order rebuilds.

16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The Wilhelm scream isn't in Last Jedi! (I knew I was missing something) And it seems Matthew Wood and Co. are opting to leave it out! Of all the sacred cows in Star Wars, this is one that I will get uppity about, bah! Bah, I say!

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-last-jedi-quietly-killed-another-star-wars-traditio-1823390385

In this movie, we decided to move from the Wilhelm scream. We’re letting the past die, as Kylo Ren says.

We’ve started another scream that we like. It’s actually been in this film and Rogue One, and some other films that are not Star Wars-related. But it’s our own little calling card.

Aughhhh!!

17. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    It wasn't in Rogue One first.

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Great, now someone needs to figure out what the "new" scream is, dangit.

Giovs likes this.
  19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    TLJ struck out at the Oscars last night, I'm super bummed Williams hasn't won soundtrack Oscars since the mid 90s and keeps getting nominated. Personally, I think "The Spark" may be one of the best pieces of Star Wars movies he's done since probably '99.

Also it's been over a month since I've seen The Last Jedi which is the longest I've gone in my life since the movie was released, hurry up bluray!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  20. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Honestly the score just doesn't have enough stand-out moments or new material for it to really be in with a chance against something like The Shape of Water. If Williams had won, it'd have been to make up for his lack of a recent win, but... the dude's had fifty-one nominations. That's enough of an achievement by anyone's standard.

Dr. Steve Brule and V-2 like this.
  21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Is it weird I've only seen TLJ in theaters once, and only semi-want to see it again? It's not like I've been a harsh TLJ critic. Just the desire to rewatch is much lower than TFA. Intellectually I want to see it again, now that I've read the VD and read others' reactions and have debated it, but emotionally there isn't much enthusiasm to see it again. Anyone else feel this way, on re-watchability? (Same with toys... I only bought Luke and Leia).

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  22. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I saw it once at the cinema and I'm only really interested in seeing fanedits of it, so yeah, hurry up bluray!

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm in the same boat. I do want to see the deleted scenes though.

24. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I wonder if anyone at Disney regretted firing Alexandre Desplat from Rogue One after last night.

25. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Honestly, re: re-watchability, I personally can't wait to rewatch it - I just don't feel as financially comfortable compared to 2015 that I can justify seeing any movie more than twice in the theater. The 27th can't come soon enough.

(More generally, though, I'm actually finding analyzing what does and doesn't give me the urge to rewatch a movie in quick succession to be really interesting now that it's on my mind, because it's definitely not just a matter of quality or enjoyability either way. Might be worth taking to the social thread).