main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Maybe Maz is just terrible to her workers. All they wanted was a dental plan.

Poe: You have to get Lando.

Finn: Where's Lando?

Rose: Who's Lando?

Finn: That too.

Poe: He's our last hope. And he's on Nudia. The planet of retired nudists. You two have to go get him. Don't forget to bring a towel.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

2. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    She's got what look like 2 deep 12" long gashes across her back. Neither has blood coming out, and she falls about 30 ft from a gunship, lands flat on her back, on a sand dune says "uhhh" for a second, hops up, starts ordering clones around and runs off immediately.

It's one of the most ridiculous things about AOTC.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    V-2, CaptainPeabody and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  3. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Any Decker-heads out there?

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  5. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    So in TFA, Maz was giving a big speech about how "We all need to fight." Yet while Finn and Rey are fighting the good fight against the First Order, Maz is doing....what exactly? Participating in a union dispute? What happened to fighting against the Dark Side?

6. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    TLJ is already a crowded movie in terms of character POV's... so I'm not surprised Maz didn't get much of a role. I suspect we might get more of her in IX, but time will tell. That's the hardest thing about a film- we want POV's and scenes for all of our favorite characters... but if this is overdone, you can lose the feeling of a cohesive story arc.

--Adm. Nick

TheRedBlade and Revanfan1 like this.
  7. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Hey look, Maz didn't survive over a thousand years through the New Sith Wars (Kaan, Githany, and Darth Bane are really scary), the Fall of the Old Republic (did it actually fall or was it just a reorganization? Was Coruscant taken by the Sith or was that just propaganda? Maz can't remember), and the Empire (why haven't we seen Maz's species before? She sold them out to the Empire for slavery in return for Palpatine leaving her and her castle alone) by practicing what she preaches. :p

I'm sure Maz will say in 9 that she really did want to help out, but the First Order sent those nasty Union people after her to stop her.

8. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    What are unfair and exploitative employers if not agents of the dark side?

9. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    It sure did sound to me like "union dispute" was a deliberate understatement/euphemism.

10. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Why is it an understatement? Have we forgotten the PT and how dangerous these unions are? The Techno Union? They probably want to kidnap Maz and experiment on her to turn her into a monstrosity like they did to the Nelvaan warrriors.

And don't forget the New Separatist Union mentioned in Aftermath trilogy. :p

I looked up Maz's wookieepedia article, and I was surprised that some obscure statue Anakin had in TPM was retconned to be a statue of Maz Kanata...

11. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    That's precisely it. "Union dispute" is an understatement in much the same way the invasion of Naboo might be called a disagreement about tariffs.

Voltron64, Senator Wan, Kylun and 3 others like this.
  12. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Much as i want to see Maz helping Rey and Leia decipher the Jedi texts, i doubt we'll ever see stuff like that on film.

13. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    They did ignore that the written language of a thousand generations ago probably wouldn't match modern SW written language...

Old and Middle English, which are much younger than a thousand generations, are not really comprehensible to modern English speakers.

Maz may be old (1,000 years old), but these texts are older (25,000 years if the thousand generations line is still being taken literally). She won't be much help in translating them in this situation unless written language is stagnant in Star Wars.

14. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    She may be 1000 years old, but she seems to gave an antiquities obsession. I'm willing to bet she has studied Ancient Basic etc.

15. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    The language the texts may have been written in, going by the Legends EU, may be http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Old_Galactic_Standard .

16. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I mean this is Star Wars there are droids from thousands of years ago that still operate just as well as their modern counterparts. I'm confident Threepio can read the books.

Mia Mesharad, Revanfan1 and Dawud786 like this.
  17. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I'm pretty sure when Palpatine declared the New Order, Huyang was the first to go. :emperor:

BobaMatt likes this.
  18. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Nah, he was flying about in a Jedi training ship. He'll have just crashed on some primitive world to be rediscovered by Luke in the New Republic era.

BigAl6ft6, Revanfan1 and BobaMatt like this.
  19. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    [face_dancing]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Apparently the Crucible's wreckage is seen in the Revival episode, according to Wookieepedia, so perhaps we're halfway there already.

Next stop, Mark Hamill and David Tennant talking about lightsabers! [face_party]

Voltron64, BigAl6ft6 and Revanfan1 like this.
  21. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Maz is fighting MagnaGuards, so fair play

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    I just assumed she was dealing with pro-FO vs anti-FO disputes due to what to her was the very recent battle between the Resistance and FO that took place at her supposedly neutral establishment and she was delivering a bit of deadpan snarking while dealing with the riot/battle.

The FO siding forces were probably spoiling for a fight anyways and after the destruction of the NR things probably went downhill fast.

23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So the TV ads for the home video release are super-Luke heavy if anyone has noticed, it's almost all him on Crait. which is totally okay cuz I've seen the movie a bunch of times, gladly they didn't reveal any of that in the original theatrical marketing.

Going to try to get out to Best Buy by 3ish tomorrow and hopefully they'll have a steelbook TLJ blu ray in (I waited 24 hours after the announcement and BestBuy.ca was already sold out online of steelbooks, geeze!). Not that I'm particularly hankering for a steelbook version, it's just that the Best Buy steelbook is the only blu ray version in Canada that comes with a DVD copy bundled with it as well (yes, I still use them too). They sold out of Force Awakens I think by 4 PM 2 years ago so, in theory, that means the steelbooks should be around a wee bit longer this time.

24. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Anyone picked up the blu-ray yet? I'm getting mine after work.

25. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    I just got the Target exclusive. Like the 40 page booklet, kind of bummed it's in digi-book packaging that's as thick as the 9-disc Complete Saga blu-ray.