main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I definitely agree about the paralell between TFA and ANH; Rey is shown always struggling with the basic application of the powers she just realized she has, and I argue that her comparative success in combat situations - while still visibly struggling - is a good use of the idea that as a survivalist, she's better able to use the sink or swim method of learning. Plus, in TFA, she's dealing with an opponent who has had the last ten minutes of his screen time focused on damaging his psychological discipline, emotional motivation, and physical conditions, all while he's *still* holding back to capture her.

In a way, she and Kylo are on well written and executed opposite paths in that sequence; she's the novice who nonetheless manages the self-control and will power to properly exploit each lucky break she gets (Kylo's botched interrogation giving her knowledge to use, Finn buying her time with his desperate fight against Kylo, and Kylo's shoulder and side injuries), while Kylo is the experienced veteran Force wielder who's self-destructive decisions have gradually worn him down (killing Han coldly clearly wrecks his emotional game leaving him open to Chewie shooting him, and his toying with Finn allows the latter to hold him off just long enough for Rey to recover and to tag a shoulder that Rey ultimately overpowers to win the fight.) Rey does seem to have some darkside-esque aggression in the duel as well, which provides fertile ground for further exploration...

...Which is why it's a shame that TLJ ignored all that nuanced and clever writing to showcase Rey's strengths and weaknesses, and all the extenuating circumstances that could have been used to justify Kylo's poor showing and protect him as an intimidating anatagonist for her. And it's also a shame the film forsook the characterization aspects of both Force training and dark side temptation. I don't think that Rey's insecurity (if we interpret her subplot as focusing on that, which for the record I don't; I think we're generally supposed to be sympathetic towards Kylo even though the film has failed to justify why Rey would have any hope in him) really counts; dark side temptations involves far more dynamic personality changes and a stronger emotional than mental component. Rey is largely a static character, personality wise, in TLJ, and even her cave scene seems more focused on meta-commentary than an emotional punch; Maz's gentle guidance of Rey to realizing her parents weren't coming in TFA back has a much stronger emotional resonance, and actually impacts Rey as a character.

And Rey doesn't even get a pseudo religious experience to showcase her mental growth like Luke does. Yoda lifting one X-wing, slowly and gracefully from the swamp clearly blew Luke's mind, and beautifully illustrated how far he had to go, and served as an excellent motivation for his progress in subsequent scenes. In contrast, Rey gets nothing to work with in that department, not even any meditation techniques, yet she lifts dozens of X-Wing sized rocks without even any signof amazement or strain.

TFA showed so much promise, and TLJ just wasted it.

I feel I have to disagree; the alternate take you've described has a more honest and visceral emotional aspect to it that better encapsulated Luke's ostensible emotional and philosophical state of being heartbroken by his failures and disenfranchisement with the Jedi. The toss in the film comes off as just a bit too flippant and, frankly apathetic, which is probably my biggest issue with Luke's writing in TLJ. He doesn't seem to have enough personal conflict and turmoil about his decisions to flee to exile, especially in the face of TFA's events. The casual humorous toss makes it seem like this Luke doesn't care even a little bit about anything from his old life. His arc would be better served by more a clear and dramatic anger and denial of what the saber represents, rather than comedic timing.

Gamiel likes this.
  2. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Rey doesn't need to learn the same lessons as Luke. She already has "the most serious mind" and if she was on Dagobah, Yoda would teach her entirely different lessons to what we got in ESB.

Johnson doubles down on the Maz comment about "the belonging you seek" and makes Rey's The Last Jedi arc all about finding her "place" in what is essentially a family saga, and she tries to bend figures around her to fit that type (which is why Kylo's comments on that front are the ones that sting the most). Rey is her own worst enemy in this sense, and Kylo evolves into a psychological villain rather than a physical one because now is not the time for yet another smackdown, literal battle. Kylo uses his own pained history to try and warp and confuse his opponent, and he succeeds. She is so hell-bent on finding her "place" that she puts her total faith in a vision of the future, that she is willing to ignore her own instincts regarding Kylo and instead places her trust in the Force, and in the redemptive arc that was Luke's redemption of Vader. In many ways the sequel trilogy is the story of how people react to the stories of the OT in-universe. It's why Snoke's throne room is an ersatz DSII sequence that is turned on its head and then goes horribly wrong.

Like Finn's arc, it's not about living up to some momentous destiny, it's about accepting the need to stand with your allies and resist evil no matter the odds, which is something that the OT never really explored - the characters, like in TFA, wind up with the good guys through convenience and happenstance.

So Rey's development is consciously not a mirror of Luke's, who treads a straight path and then has hidden avenues opened to him. She instead is looking for the hidden avenues and finds them all bricked up. This is surely a good raison d'etre for new films rather than a broad repetition of the touch-points of the OT.

3. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    The turmoil comes out as the film progresses. Bear in mind he's had about six years to be racked by personal guilt by the time Rey shows up, so him being cold and numb at the start fits for me, at least. It's not a recent thing, so when Rey shows up, sure he's apathetic. He left all of that behind years ago, and has accepted his lot in life on the island in the meantime. He's also making a statement to Rey that he doesn't care about the saber -- which is him being in denial.

It might not be as much on the surface as Kylo or Anakin's turmoil, for instance, but I'm glad it isn't. Theirs is a very broad version of inner conflict; Luke's -- Mark's -- is much more restrained and thought-through. There's an arc to it.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I disagree. *If* Kylo is meant to be a psychological villain, then he's a paltry pretender in the role succeeding mostly through the Doylist narrative convenience of Rian Johnson desiring them to team up, pastiche the throne room scene from ROTJ, then subvert it. The closest Kylo comes to utilizing manipulative techniques that could *maybe* work is his Rashomon-style flashback about Luke, and maybe, if you squint hard enough and ignore the solid character work from TFA and embrace this film's amnesia about emotional logic, the talk he and Rey have after her cave scene. The film never adequately addresses the fallout from Kylo killing Han, maiming Finn for protecting Rey, and violating Rey's mind against her will while torturing her. All Kylo does is casually agree with Rey that yeah, he's a monster, and that he killed Han in cold blood instead of from hatred and anger. That's not enough. Not after a movie that was *literally* built around the chemistry and growing bond between Finn and Rey, or Han acting as a classic veteran supporting character who Rey would form a brief paternal bond with to help "get her over" with the audience, or when TFA showcased Rey acting appropriately to a space Nazi assaulting her mind, her friends, and the Galaxy.

And the story in TLJ never really focuses on the idea of Rey's outreach towards Kylo as being a psychological issue the way you'd argue. It obfuscates the point by injecting moments of emotional intimacy and possible physical attraction into a relationship that, again, has not adequately overcome the adversarial and traumatizing impact of TFA, and then tries to portray Rey as having genuine and strong hope for Kylo to turn to the lightside... when he has shown absolutely *nothing* in that area to suggest that was a possibility, even including the told-but-not-shown vision that plot ends up hanging on. There is effectively an *attempt* at giving Rey some character development through this, and through the "Who are my parents?" subplot, but since the film ends with Rey being exactly the same heroic personality she was at the end of TFA, one-shot killing three TIE fighters and nonchalantly pulling off a feat that would have been impressive for even Yoda, and since the film failed to believably to show her actually tackling the presumed "I must find my own place in the universe myself and build my own family" idea, first by just mishandling the story with Kylo, and then by ending right after Rey's pseudo-epiphany to do it herself (which is presented in a redundant way following TFA's "Are my parents coming back?" story) and by downplaying the emotional shock the moment was supposed to have.

There's some decent conceptual ideas for Rey's story under Johnson's pen, but his writing and short-changed plotting ends up contorting her around Kylo Ren in a way that makes her story insubordinate to his own without sufficient explanation, and Luke's also somewhat suspect story likewise seems to make it so that, rather than TLJ be about Rey and her story, it's about how Rey's story is dependent upon and revolves around two white guys, one of whom is her former assaulter too lazy to try believable manipulation tactics, and the othe rof whom has been written as apathetic towards the Galaxy and wrapped up in his under-explained man-pain.

(PS- Aside from the awesome Praetorian Guard fight, I can't take the throne room scene that seriously either. It sabotages itself with empty and illogical homages like Snoke de-cuffing Rey for no reason other than Palpatine did it to Luke, and the big reveal is that Snoke wants Kylo to kill this random girl he's known for less than a week to prove his loyalty *after* killing his father, all while removing any chance for differentiation of Snoke from Palpatine and belittling the victory in the OT by having Snoke portrayed as just as powerful. And the fact the end result is less intimidating villains because they haven't bothered to seriously mature Kylo also hurts it. I mean, maybe Rey was taken advantage of by Kylo, but at the end of the day, her actions accidentally put a predictable, immature and foolish brat in charge of an organization lead by an actually cunning leader.)

Talos of Atmora and Gamiel like this.
  5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  6. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    I have found my new favourite sound effect in TLJ - the “baddabaddabadda” thumping of the TIE fighter lasers pounding the ground in that sweeping shot across the trench. I don’t know why but it just sounds so so sweet.

Great analysis. I really like the style as well so I may as well subscribe.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Those are two very different things, though. Alluding to elements of a larger world is part of the world-building that Lucas did so well. Talking about the Senate without showing it, mentioning an incident on Ord Mantell that changed Han's mind, Vader telling Boba Fett "No disintegrations" in a way that clearly suggests he's had some issues with Fett before, those all suggest that there's more to this universe than just what we're being shown, that things go on outside the confines of the camera's view. But even if we don't see the basis for these references, it's never unclear or confusing. Nobody's left going, "Wait, what happened on Ord Mantell?" because we're given everything we need to know to understand the meaning of the incident. Han ran into a bounty hunter, reminding him that he still faces the consequences of Jabba's bounty. We don't need to know exactly what went on between Han and Lando in the past because the point is just that something happened that left them possibly on bad terms. But while Obi-Wan might allude to a big history of the Jedi Purge and the rise of the Empire, much bigger than the few details we get, we get enough details to grasp it. We're not left with no explanation of what happened to the Jedi, why they're reduced to one old hermit in the desert.

That doesn't really compare to the ST approach, which just leaves most of the transition from VI to VII totally unexplained. That's not throwing out an allusion to wider events to make the universe feel bigger -- it's just failing to make connections. There are a few stabs at aping the alluding style -- things like Han being in debt without the debt being particularly explained come to mind -- but I do think it's notable that the world of the ST doesn't feel very large. It doesn't feel bigger than the movies. The Resistance fits in the Falcon. We visit mostly deserted planets and get very little feel for what's going on in the larger galaxy, how people live outside the tiny bubble of the Resistance. We're not given much in the way of backstory to the films. The view we get is very constricted, very narrow, and the ST doesn't do much to inspire the sense of the larger universe beyond its camera, a backdrop to its tale.

8. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    That's fair - I don't think there's a lot of opportunity for it, but that in and of itself is a choice on the filmmakers part, and the situations they create. A few things come to mind, but mostly in TLJ - Poe mentions at battle Holdo fought in, the mention of Luke's other students leaving with Kylo Ren, the whole existence of Canto Bight, Maz Kanata's whole deal - but certainly nothing so colorful, delightful, and inspiring as, say, what Solo does with those things.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  9. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    Apparently KMT has deleted all of her Instagram posts due to the hate she was getting.

I understand people can not like a movie but it’s incomprehensible to then take that out on the actor/actress themselves. It is beyond ridiculous.

Star Wars fans are the absolute best most of the time but boy oh boy the worst definitely drags the rest of us down.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  10. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Yeah.

And furthermore: I think Rose was delightful.

11. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    I don’t have any issues with her character in TLJ but even if I did I could separate a character from the person.

12. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Absolutely.

13. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I didn't care for the Rose character or her role in the story.

The actress seems like a lovely woman and its appalling she's been harassed.

This kind of behavior gives STAR WARS fans a bad name. Mind you, it's just part of the fact nerd culture has been getting more and more toxic with seemingly no end in sight.

14. Voltron64

Voltron64 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2009
    Certainly there can be a way to stop that?

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  15. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I agree with this so much. It's not just about mentioning an event and not explaining anything about it. It's about framing. There was enough of a framework within the little nuggets of information we received in the OT to give us an understanding of the event in question and how it affects our characters now, as well as make the universe feel bigger. The references in the ST just feel like the narrative equivalent of blue balls. Back then we really wanted to know what actually happened on Ord Mantell because it sounded like a cool story. Now we just want to know what happened because we don't understand what is actually happening.

Jedi Ben and Gamiel like this.
  16. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Unless some sort of electro-magnetic pulse that wipes out our electronic technology and shuts down the internet comes along, I don't know if it can be stopped. Social media is filled with a mob mentality of shutting down "the opposition," YouTube and the blogosphere are filled with ponderous "hot takes." All because "being right" and getting likes/views is the endgame. Is this everyone on the internet? Heck no, there are reasonable discussions and well crafted think pieces out there, but the loud always drown out the quiet. And the loud are toxic.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

17. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Take away the jerks computers? There's no cure for being an internet troll, I'm sorry to say.

The cure for this situation is that it requires the immature members of our fandom to grow the hell up.

Which is asking a lot of some people. I say that as someone who needed some hard knock lessons from life myself.

18. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    It's not just Star Wars though--this awful behavior gave us Gamergate, etc. Something's deeply wrong in society the past few years and people do all sorts of awful stuff in the name of "fighting political correctness", whatever that means.

This horrible type of behavior goes far beyond Star Wars. It will require massive changes to ingrained biases in people all around the world. And, sad to say, that just might not be possible. I'm beginning to realize in life that maybe there are no solutions.

Capt. Kirk in Star Trek is wrong, there are No-Win Situations in life, and the Kobayashi Maru is very real. That doesn't mean we should stop trying to do the right thing, but we have to go in knowing we're probably fighting a losing battle. For every toxic online poster people take down, 5 more will spring up in their place.

I understand and support Ms. Tran's decision to just stop fighting the awful behavior and just run (by deleting instagram). There are just some fights you can't win. :(

19. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Chuck Wendig wrote a thread on twitter about that very thing, @sidv88. Naturally, he was lambasted.

Senator Wan and sidv88 like this.
  20. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    My personal theory is nerds are no longer the isolated outcasts but just part of regular society and the people who would nasty bullies if they weren't outcasts....have become nasty bullies.

21. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    It's not just nerds doing this though. Ive seen this behavior in those one would define as "jocks" (comnents about serena Williams etc). The whole world is going through this sort of thing, and I don't know how it will get out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

22. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I mean that's true, but I also think there's a certain element of insularity that comes from feeling like you were an outcast but at least you had this, and now other people are coming for this thing too. Too many people are reacting to the mainstreaming of nerd culture with hostility.

Additionally, "SJW" nerds were never welcome in Nerd Culture, and the perception is that they're "winning" now only because "outsiders" are taking over and "ruining" things nerds love with their "agendas."

Oh well.
    I think this is a similar thing. Sports are "for men," so when a woman is obviously the best player the sport has ever seen she has to somehow be discredited.

Senator Wan, V-2, Outsourced and 7 others like this.
  23. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I think it was always there, personally, it's just the internet has made it louder. The world isn't any more racist, but the racists and misogynists haven't gotten smaller like we thought they would.

Or not small enough.

And yes, in the late 80s/early 90s I remember it was a thing that many fans actively resented the idea women could be Star Wars fans--despite always being them. It was like women had invaded "their" space.

Senator Wan, V-2, Outsourced and 6 others like this.
  24. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Strange that's something I must have missed. Most people I've met are happy to have female Star Wars fans, and I've been fortunate enough to meet a few female fans myself.

It does seem the female fans are far rarer than the male fans (I think even this board may represent that), so my take was that the fandom wanted more female fans, not less. This group of "fans" you're mentioning who are hostile to female fans sound awful and I'm glad I missed this set of "fans" entirely.

25. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Well, in my case, there was harassment, anger, and disbelief at their very existence.

But I'm glad your experience was better.

Voltron64 likes this.