main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    There's the fact that his main method of emoting is a thousand yard stare with lips pouting and tears just barely beneath the surface. It looks like Adam/Kylo is just standing there trying to cry. Does that count as puppy eyes? He does it a lot, though almost always when no one is looking.

I haven't seen anything redeeming about Kylo.

Of course we're probably working with different definitions of redeeming. Entertaining me is a redeeming quality for a character, so Vader had lots.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, that counts 100 percent as puppy eyes. “Look at how sad I am. Feel sorry for me.”

Iron_lord, CT-867-5309 and Jedi Ben like this.
  3. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Kylo might not hate han. Think, Hans offer to Kylo isn't realistic. The republic would imprison Kylo for life or execute him for hosnian. If kylo doesn't kill han, he will be on the run from the republic and fo for the rest of his life. The fo might give kylo a fate worse than death for sparing han.

Kylo likely killed han out of self preservation than actual hatred. Hes not lying when he says he doesn't hate han. That's all there is to it

Kylo is still evil, but it's more like a burglar killing witnesses so he can get away unrecognized than actual hatred for victims.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, that doesn’t work. Killing someone out of “self preservation” is still murder, and murder involves hatred.

I don’t really care if sparing Han gives Kylo a “fate worse than death.” If Kylo were not a selfish, whiny, hateful little ****, he would not murder his father in cold blood.

5. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I don't think Han would turn over Kylo Ren to the New Republic. He's just asking him to desert and help stop Starkiller.

Kylo Ren chose the FO over Han.

Not because he felt ANY inclination to be redeemed, because he was asked by Snoke to kill him.

Gamiel and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  6. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Han can't run from kanjiklub or jabba but he can run with kylo forever from the republic AND snoke?? Han has a bad track record of this and kylo knows it.

7. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I never got any sense that Kylo actually hated Han. It would have made more sense if he actually hated him, which I don't think he did. It was a senseless murder.

8. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    To take a difficult real world example, this would be like someone running away from home to join a terror group, regretting it maybe but now having no choice but to continue killing as ordered. There may not be hatred but now there is no choice. We see this in the news.

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Kylo killed Han to prove his dark side bona fides to Snoke. I don't see malace, which is why Kylo's answer to Rey "I didn't hate him." and "Yes, I am" ring true. Snoke repaid him with "The deed split you in two!" "You're just a child in a mask." Then Kylo killed him too! That'll learn ya, Snoke! Our supreme Lee-Dah is DEAD!

10. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Jj has it all figured out. We'll see in 9 that kylo didn't actually kill any temple students, it was draco moefoy the bully and his posse who did and joined kylo in running, and kylo couldn't stop him.

Snoke killed hosnian, not kylo. Han was dying anyway and kylo killed him in a prearranged agreement like dumbledore and snape. 9 will show kylo only actually really killed snoke.

Seriously though killing doesn't always involve hatred. James bond, himself written based on spies, kills because it's his job. Thats it. We see in the news too many instances where killing is just random without hatred or even reason. High government assassinations, they want to start a revolution etc

One assassin outright said if he had twitter to start a revolution, he would not have killed a leader in the 70s

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Except that those people still have a choice.

I’ll expand on your Harry Potter example. Peter Pettigrew joined Voldemort, then told Sirius Black and Remus Lupin that he “didn’t have a choice” because “the Dark Lord...you don’t know the power he possesses.”

Sirius informed him that he most certainly did have a choice, even at that point, and Voldemort’s power was no excuse.

Revanfan1, Iron_lord and Jedi Ben like this.
  12. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Thats killing from fear not hatred. My point stands. Remember the question was whether kylo hated han.

I said kylo had no choice if he wanted to live. Obviously if he or anyone really accepts death (or crippling, blinding, brain damage or whatever the price for disobedience is) there is always a choice

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    We have a very different definition of hatred.

From my perspective, if someone is willing to kill me in order to preserve his or her own life, that means that he or she places no value on my life—and as I said, if that isn’t hatred, I’ll take hatred.

There is no room in my moral compass for the idea that one can murder in cold blood and not hate his or her victim. Period.

Which is why I thought very little of Rey when she was willing to buy that line from Kylo. I would have thought more of her if she had either told him he was full of poodoo, or used Sirius’ line on him.

Iron_lord and Jedi Ben like this.
  14. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    People pay taxes that go into drones that kill people often innocent other than being in the wrong place. That is why many feel a certain country hates them, but that country's citizens may not feel hatred. But those countries citizens can choose to refuse paying taxes and go to jail.

People may have to terminate a pregnancy that would otherwise be fatal. That does not mean there is hatred. But the person could insist on the baby being born at the cost of her own life, and this has sadly happened in real life.

I hope this isn't offensive, just to demonstrate where my point of view originates.

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I actually love in Last Jedi how it basically fast-forwards to the big final confrontation (Kylo Rey & Snoke) a what is just a wee bit past the middle part of the trilogy. Johnson basically pushed it to the ending and there's still half a trilogy left! And I did think Kylo did "turn" for all of 4 minutes when I first watched it but him just using as an excuse to double down on evil makes sense for him.

16. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    You're welcome to prefer hatred to indifference, but you can't make them the same thing.

Revanfan1, Darth_Duck, Kylun and 2 others like this.
  17. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I don't because I was actually interested in Snoke and have no reason to believe Kylo Ren will defeat the New Republic's remnants like I want.

Voltron64 likes this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I find “indifference”—which leads to cold-blooded murder—directed at a father who has done his best at parenting and shown nothing but love, to be really disgusting.

Kylo does not get a pass. And we could spend all day quibbling on the definition and parameters of “hatred” (or not, because we aren’t going to agree), but at the end, Kylo wanted a pass, or an excuse, or some latitude, for killing Han, so he used the line that he “did not hate” him. And I’m calling bull**** on both his wanting a pass and his claim that he “did not hate” him.

Also...I think “hatred” for Kylo would involve enjoying seeing Finn push him into a lava pit in Episode IX (for example) whereas I just want Kylo to have much less screen time—that’s what I consider “indifference.” Which is why I don’t consider a willingness to murder someone in cold blood a mark of “indifference” but of hatred.

19. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I had a completely different take on that scene.

Kylo loved Han. As much as he tried to convince himself otherwise, he loved his father. That's why he had to die, because in the twisted dark path Ben Solo was going down, love was a weakness, he couldn't afford to love, because if he loved, he could still turn back, and if he turned back he would never fulfill the legacy of Darth Vader.

Han Solo could turn him with love, Han Solo was turning him with love. When Ben said "I need to do something, but I don't think I have the strength to do it." he was literally asking Han to help kill himself. Ben doesn't want to do it, he hates himself for it, but he forces himself to turn on the lightsaber, because in the end he decides that his need to fulfill his own warped destiny outweighs even his own love for his father.

It was a great scene in the development of a truly messed up and scary villain. At least till TLJ decided to try to make him super sympathetic for some reason.

20. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I mean, sure, ultimately there's little difference in that you end up dead either way.

Sure there is. That's what cold blooded means. There's no hate or anger involved.

I'm sure assassins and other contract killers don't hate their victims, they're just doing a job. I'm sure there's no hatred when an executioner executes a prisoner. Etc etc.

But it makes Kylo's murder of Han all the more strange. It's a senseless patricide. Done for no real reason. Which is completely ridiculous. He doesn't even really want to do it, he just does, like "meh". He goes through with it without any real conviction.

It's one thing to kill your father because he was an ***hole, you hate him, and killing him would satisfy you. It's one thing to kill your father for tangible power; ie to take the throne, inheritance, etc.

Kylo's murder isn't one of these things. He's not even pumped for the power it would supposedly bring him. He doesn't revel in the power afterward, because he doesn't actually feel it, because it didn't come to him, because he didn't actually want to do it. There's no power in killing off your father if you just regret it. It's not really motivated by Snoke, either.

I disagree with this, though. Kylo definitely had a practical choice: go with Han. There was a legitimate chance for that to work out. I've heard your counterargument and I don't buy it. Han and Leia still have influence, they could work out a deal for him, or just use their power to protect him themselves. He could go to Luke. He could hide out on that island with Luke. Any number of things. It was a real option.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If there is ever a scenario of “you have to die because I love you,” I’d rather not be loved.

That’s another reason Kylo’s behavior gets not one iota of a pass from me. There is no way to twist it into a pretzel and make it look good.

22. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Yeah, I figured that the bridge scene was basically Vaders moment aboard the DS2, except instead of pitching the emperor down the shaft, he decides to toss Luke instead. Essentially giving Ben one final chance to turn back, but unlike Vader he fails it miserably.

23. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Kylos thing is fear from what i see, not hatred or indifference. He killed out of fear the way pettigrew in harry potter did.

Rey said it best--kylo fears not becoming as powerful as vader. He killed han because of this fear--snoke told him the killing would give him power. And whether kylo admits it or not, he also fears the pitiful plea deal or fugitive life ahead of him if he runs off with han. And snoke will find him and wont be merciful. Theres a reason the grand inquisitor in rebels chose to die rather than face vader and Palpatine for his failure

Voltron64 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    When Kylo is cornered or frustrated he does seem to get murder-y. Or slice up a console or two.

Jedi Ben and sidv88 like this.
  25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    My issue with that idea is that fear is pitiable, and neither Pettigrew’s behavior nor Kylo’s behavior deserves any pity or sympathy.

I can see killing in self-defense to be an act of fear, but not murder because “but there will be consequences if I don’t”.

I suppose technically that motivation could be called fear, but if it is—it comes down to the fact that both Kylo and Pettigrew would rather be a wuss in the face of a villain (or would rather kiss a villain’s ass) than do the right thing.