main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Actually, we should lengthen it, to the last Jedi's full name, Jedidiah. :p

[​IMG]

2. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    The Last Jedi on Sadness Island. :p

3. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    The specific phrase "The Last Jedi" gets used twice in TFA, the first time in the opening crawl, the second time by Snoke talking to Kylo Ren, both times referring to Luke. I wonder if Johnson got the title from reading the TFA script ahead of time.

Here's my (only semi joking) idea: Kylo gets redeemed to the light side, Rey falls to the dark side, Luke gets killed, and Ben Solo ends the movie as the last Jedi.

4. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Woman: I'm sorry Luke but I've been cheating on you for 6 months.
    Luke Skywalker: What, with who ? :(
    Woman: With Luke Skywalker
    -Luke looks more and more confused as he looks at the temple grounds and the 25 other Luke's who are living there- [face_dunno]

5. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    But the fanboys will be all over it like they are over Yoda saying Luke was the last Jedi.

6. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Yeah, but they shortened it to Jedha.

vncredleader and MercenaryAce like this.
  7. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Luuke Skywalker
    Lukke Skywalker
    Luke Skyywalker...

vncredleader likes this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Ambivalent about this, depends on what direction they go with it.

Like the idea that its plural and not singular.

9. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Considering that this is the title that Rian Johnson said in an interview that the film has had since his very first drafts (which he wrote before TFA was even released IIRC) and no one's seen fit to change it, and the fact that it starts directly after the preceding movie, I think the idea of it tying in directly to TFA title-wise has merit.

Kylun and Revanfan1 like this.
  10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I'm not sure about the title, I don't like them using "Jedi" again.

It does seem to confirm that Luke is no longer interested in the Jedi coming back, and wants instead something new to rise. Which is something I have mixed feelings on. You can radically reform the Jedi, and still call them Jedi.

I like the red for promotional material, though.

11. Palizinha

Palizinha Jedi Master star 1

Jul 12, 2015
    I care about the title about as much as I care about al the other ones. Which is to say I don't.

Glad to have something besides VIII to call this movie though.

12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Not sure about that. It's like how the Reformed Christians aren't considered Catholic. Yes, they both believe in the same God, but they have such drastically different beliefs about the lifestyle that goes along with following God that it really wouldn't be accurate to call just any Christian a Catholic.

13. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Well, that sounds ominous.

Though.....jedi is plural and singular, yes? So maybe like the Last Samurai it isn't about a person....hmm...still sounds ominous......

Maaaybe it means a last iteration of the jedi order that will last forever?

......nah, even for crazy speculation that is too much.

14. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I have to say, I'm seeing a lot of wild guessing in this thread. I'm going to be very surprised if this title is meant to signify anything other than "Luke is important in this one".

15. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
  16. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Hopefully America will do the title tune.

17. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

Eh. I think it is simply implying that this movie will focus mainly on Luke. If it means anything else it is probably just telling us that Luke will fullfill Yoda's wish and successfully pass on what he had learned.

18. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    I don't know what to make of the title. It could be interesting if Luke tells Rey he is no Jedi. The Last Jedi was Anakin Skywalker, making the demise of both the Sith and Jedi Order almost simultaneous. And not necessarily a bad thing. Not even really a dismissal of the Original Six Saga either.

19. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Yoda called Luke the Last of the Jedi in Ep. VI.

20. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I don't think The Last Jedi implies no more. In TFA Snoke associated the return of Luke as threatening the revival of the new Jedi Order. I feel like that's significant. I think the title just means a focus on Luke. Rey sought out Luke because he was the last Jedi so now he has returned. They also said Luke training Rey would have a large role, so he is passing on what he learned. This again would bring us back to the last Jedi, becasue Rey sought out the last for training.

Since Jedi is also plural they could easily bring more back (the probably won't) or eventually have the title refer to Luke and Rey.

I can't see them killing off Like since they killed Han and Luke's story arc isn't done until there's a new order. They set that up in TFA. Luke was trying to revive the Jedi but when it failed he went in hiding and searched for the first Jedi Temple. So prior to the ST Luke was trying g to restore the order which associates him with that goal. The latter part implies he will try again. It's likely Luke wants to find out what went wrong and fix the mistake in the future. By training Rey he takes another step toward reviving the order. If the defeat the FO, training more will be easier. If Like is killed, then he can never finish his arc. Plus, I'm sure they're aware that fans will want to see Luke and new Jedi.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I honestly am not going to make anymore of the title than it will be a story about Luke and he finally succeeds in doing what Yoda told him to do.

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Eat swamp soup and like it?

23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The Phantom Menace: about Palpatine
    Attack of the Clones: about Palpatine's army
    Revenge of the Sith: about Palpatine
    A New Hope: about Luke
    The Empire Strikes Back: about Palpatine's army
    Return of the Jedi: about Anakin/Luke
    The Force Awakens: about Rey
    The Last Jedi: about ? (Luke most likely, maybe Luke and Rey)

Remarkable how consistent the titles of the saga have been in who they're about.

24. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    He did go looking for the roots of the force. Perhaps he discovered the Republic Era Jedi had lost their way.

It is one thing to be referred to as the last Jedi. Making it a title is more definitive or the title would be "The Last Jedi (before there are more Jedi)". Otherwise, I don't know what statement the title is making.

The TFA crawl did refer to him as the Last Jedi and I always took the crawls as matter of fact as opposed to "from a certain point of view." So maybe he will pass on his knowledge and personal discovery, but perhaps not the title. It might not even be a new thing. It could be one of the things that upset Kylo Ren originally.

25. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Lol. Of course not. It was to find a young scavenger cutie and train her in an island paradise.