main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Leia would know that's wrong as he didn't kill her despite having the chance.

2. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Which he seems to consider a mistake afterwards, as he orders his forces to kill everyone inside the Crait base without exception. He'd know that would include Leia.

Jedi Princess and BobaMatt like this.
  3. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I do think the end of TLJ represents an obstinate hardening of his resolve after his vision is rejected by Rey.

There's also no way for Leia, who gets rocked by proton torpedoes and nearly killed by exposure to hard vacuum, to know that Ben had declined to kill her personally.

DarthJaceus and Jedi Princess like this.
  4. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    She sensed him.

DarthJaceus and Ghost like this.
  5. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I mean I don't know how specific her Force senses got. She sensed he was there, she probably sensed he was conflicted, and then she got sucked into space. It's possible she sensed him decide not to kill her, but her statement at the end of the film seems to trouble that notion.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  6. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Regardless of what she sensed then, he orders her death twice more after that.

7. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Yeah, it seems that he can't kill his mum himself, but he's okay with ordering others to do it for him.

8. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I'd disagree with this. While Leia seems to have given up hope, Luke seems to think there still is some given his last conversation with her. He also clearly sees it in the novelization.

9. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Agreed - Luke doesn't think he can do it.

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Slightly less compelling version of Luke's story would have had him going through Ben's calligraphy notebook that details his evil master plan. "Kill Uncle Luke, become badass" lovingly written out.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  11. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I disagree, I think Kylo has the patience to read Snoke's ideas. Superiority of Force users, the glory of the Empire, read all of Vader's tactical battles etc.

I think Ben's calligraphy would have been letters to the First Order asking how to join up, thoughts on how the Jedi failed before and will fail again (and that he only signed up for the class because his parents made him), letters to his posse on how to jump ship and join the FO (like the way Biggs and his friends jumped the Imperial academy for the Rebels).

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I was wondering if Ben's calligraphy set was canon because the first time you see it, it's in Ben's recounting of the events to Rey (speaking of which, did he tell her he had a calligraphy set?) and as is proven in the film, he is lying. But you see it again when Luke tells the truth to Rey ("His lightsaber flew off his desk with his calligraphy set!" Luke must have told her.

Watched Last Jedi with my sister and she actually says she likes this one more than Force Awakens because, to her, Last Jedi feels more like a Star Wars movie, which is interesting but she said from the point of view of having multiple plots going on at once ala ESB. She does also like Kylo, though, but I still says he's a jerkwad.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    Revanfan1 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  13. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    TLJ absolutely feels more Star Wars than TFA. Abrams copied Star Wars's face, but Rian copied its soul.

One of the most important take-aways I got from Joseph Campbell is not just to be satisfied with the latest version of a story; but to go back and seek out what that writer was inspired by, what they intended, what they were reaching for. I think Lucas and Rian both hold that same mindset, and it's telling that Rian wants his new trilogy to get out from under the franchise's in-universe mythology to try and tell a new story that digs into the root of what Lucas was trying to do with it in the first place, mythologically speaking.

14. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Award for best unintentional pun goes to...

Sent from my Samsung g8-Wing

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Of note, in both Legends and Canon, Luke just straight up made himself Jedi Master. a wee bit presumptuous of him but as the Last Jedi he gets to call the shots.

16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Who else would make him one?

17. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    There are three Jedi Masters just ghosting around not doing anything else.

Stymi and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  18. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Just rewatched The Director and The Jedi and am once again blown away. Fantastic documentary from a fantastic film. Really hope we get something similar in caliber when he does the first of his new trilogy.

19. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

BobaMatt likes this.
  20. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    After Empire of Dreams and The Beginning, it is my third favourite making of SW documentary and one of my all time favourite making of documentaries in general. And I haven't even liked TLJ that much.

21. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I think what always interest me how involved Kathleen Kennedy is involved in the making of these films beyond just being President of LFL. Granted I know that can be taken as a good or bad thing but still....I find it interesting.

22. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    This always bugged me, too. Obi-wan and Yoda didn't give him enough training to teach others. At best, he should be searching the galaxy for other Jedi and hopefully find a teacher to complete his training as well as train others.

That said, the only part of TLJ I liked was the Luke/Rey interactions. For someone who feels like he failed his family, his galaxy, his legacy, and himself; RJ did get this one right......

....the rest of the movie, OTOH......

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

23. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    "She was created by the Force and is an instrument of it."

I like how people who most likely do not agree with me regarding Rey's character still have to come to terms with the fact that everything she does is a result of power getting handed to her rather than anything she has to tangibly sacrifice and suffer for like her predecessors.

24. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    I mean by that rationale Anakin had all of his power handed to him by the Force, and if Luke's powerful because of his bloodline, so did he. And Kylo.

25. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    You mean the same Anakin that had to hone his skills under instruction for a full decade as well as through years of intense combat? The Anakin who actually suffered defeats and pitfalls, two of which resulted in massive damage to his body and mental state?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018