main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It will probably be the new "how did the Rebels get the Death Star plans?" that has a dozen different explanations until they decide to just make a movie about it :p

Gamiel, MercenaryAce, AusStig and 2 others like this.
  2. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    The movie starts with Luke's hand and lightsaber floating in space...

...then the image freezes, and the lightsaber will tell us how it got there with Baba O'Reilly playing in the background. I would watch that.

3. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    "Yep, that's me. Floating out in the cold depths of space."

Triangulum and Grey1 like this.
  4. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    You know Rey Random sounds like a fully normal SW name.

vncredleader likes this.
  6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    It does.

Me personally, I just want Poe to adopt both Finn and Rey into the family and make them Damerons.

Kylun and vncredleader like this.
  7. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Seeing this comment made me think of something I've wanted to put on the Rey's Parentage thread over on TLJ's own forum, but it fits in Literature a little better:

*If* Rey's a Skywalker, and through natural, hippity-dippity ways, than the story group has a pretty unenviable task in creating a New SkyMom character. Timothy Zahn and a dozen other authors managed to make an *actual* super-secret-Force-using-commando-agent-and-smoking-hot-redhead character work, feel natural, and avoid accusations of Mary Sue (as tired as those arguments can be) and the traps that destroyed all the rest of Luke's Legends girlfriends. Mara's kind of like Thrawn in some ways; such a successful take on an archetype that any characters occupying a similar niche are going to be measured against them. Thrawn's impact was felt through Sloane and Gallius Rax long before he was confirmed to return. But arguably there's an even worse problem for any potential SkyMom character.

Luke's love interest has been an idea bouncing around the heads of fans since the 80's. It's a more dependent character niche than "Genius Military Commander antagonist," but even the Legends Skywlakers were already aping Mara in other LIs with characters like Morrigan Corde. *And* if there is an official SkyMom character coming down the pipe, there's an incentive to make the character cool; whoever they are, they'd effectively be promoted to one of "the OT Gang" at least for the inter-trilogy period, and thus be marketable for books, games, and tv shows.

So, in the likely event that the story group decides to not use a new Mara Jade for the function, they'd still probably use her as a "proof of concept" at the least. I mean, I don't think they could financially and creatively justify under-shooting "awesome, attractive, and complex action girl" in any potential SkyMom; you trot a quiet non-entity out there and it's a waste of money and maybe a little insulting to an entire gender. If I were them, I'd just go ahead and modify Mara and reintroduce her; but even without that, I'd expect a pretty similar character to appear.

8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I feel like this should be a good article to read http://clubjade.net/?p=72811

godisawesome likes this.
  9. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Thanks. And that blog post does an excellent job of highlighting the other conundrums of both a potential NEU Mara Jade and SkyMom. Mara Jade's most basic and marketable selling point to people who don't know her is the fact she's Luke's love interest; the character's staying power and enthusiastic fanbase comes from more than that, but there's no doubt that making her join the central family of the Star Wars Saga got her a bigger "push" than a lot of other characters. And seeing how some fans are already a little irritated by Thrawn being a bit less impressive right now, the author's dead on that a less-than-stellar performance by a NEU Mara Jade, especially in a way that would divorce her of her most famous traits, would probably sink the character.

But I still feel the story group has to try and match her if they want to construct a new SkyMom character, kind of in the same way that Ben Solo/Kylo Ren had to match the potential of Jacen Solo/Darth Caedus. The story group proved they could do that in the latter case, and Rey seems to match the potential of both Ben Skywalker and Jaina Solo, so I'm hopeful for any potential SkyMom. But if figure that SkyMom almost has to be an impressive character who could hold down, at minimum, the same number of books and comics Mara Jade could, because Mara Jade proved the financial strength of combining Luke's Official Love Interest with Action Girl traits. Again, Mara Jade was effectively a Sixth Ranger character to our OT cast added in the Legends EU. So, if you're going to speculate about a possible Rey Skywalker scenario, it's handy to speculate how the story group and Disney could handle Mara Jade, at least at a conceptual level.

Of course, they don't have to line up exactly; Rey's mom being a First Order member who's protective of her little girl is my preferred Random scenario, and tweaking that to make her a SkyMom isn't hard. But I still think she'd have to leave a similar media footprint to Mara Jade, and since I figure a Mara Jade-esque character could be a major inter-trilogy protagonist for a TV show, movie, or book series, I tend to think that Mara Jade, in a round about way, lends even more credence to the Rey Skywalker theory. Rey Random has a Rogue One style backstory that you can milk, but only so far. Rey Kenobi or Palpatine is a bit stronger, but threatens to go a bit far afield for the sake of a twist. Rey Solo has more stuff to work with, but also keeps cast expansion down. Rey Skywalker offers the potential to exploit the Mara Jade-blueprint to give you not just the benefits of Luke and Rey dealing with each other, but Luke and an awesome new hero.

Mara Jade's success in the Legends EU shows there's probably more money in Rey Skywalker than in other options.

Grey1 likes this.
  10. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Makes sense to me.

11. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
  12. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    What/who do you wanna see from old canon reintroduced or included in this movie? Me, I watched the prequel trilogy expecting a bone on Mara Jade or Thrawn to no avail, hoping at least Thrawn this time as he's been recanonized. We got recanonized versions of characters such as Jacen/Kylo Ren; personally I think Rey is a version of Jaina (the look, the fierceness, piloting skills). As much as I'd love it, new Empire into First Order probably precludes a Palleon type character. A new recanonized version of Talon Karrde would be awesome and doable. With the title Last Jedi, I'm guessing I can count out ever seeing Kyp Durron as well. With Thrawn back, I could see a Jag Fel type character entering the storyline. Those were my big characters.

13. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    We're already seeing him - he's got a mask that looks kind of like Revan's and a crossguard-hilted lightsaber.

14. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

We've even got Bloke!Daala in Hux

Grey1 and AusStig like this.
  15. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I've lost some faith in my "Snoke is basically just Exar Kun" theory, but I'm still pulling for it.

AusStig, Revanfan1 and Ulicus like this.
  16. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    ... but only if Kylo is Kyp Durron and people can argue over what "being under thrall" means.

AusStig likes this.
  17. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    I saw Kong: Skull Island over the weekend, and it was full of Apocalypse Now visual callbacks. But then it made me realize, both TFA and Rogue One had their own visual references to Apocalypse Now. So I hope that TLJ keeps up that tradition somehow. Luke as Colonel Kurtz and Rey as Willard?

18. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    You believe that considering the new rumors ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Which ones?
    Anything involving Force spirits or reincarnation falls under 'anything else' at 1%

20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    We as EU fans have been very bad at this. I am appalled. Appalled.

This is our one chance to match Rey with a student in Luke's first two cohorts. Why have we wasted this? Because you seriously think they're not going to bring folks like Corran back? (No, don't answer that.)

Being a Skywalker or Solo is too obvious. She's likely one of Luke's student's kids and/or a Knights of Ren child, but the latter would be too ESB and that would be silly. So if she's one of Luke's student's kids, she could be, I dunno, Kyp's. But like Kyp's pretty young and TCW already had an explosion over Carida, so I don't think they'll do it again. I blame Gascon if Kyp never shows up in the NEU.

She could be Corran's kid. His kids did what, go crazy eating pancakes one morning? Yeah that's a legacy. But the thing is she can lift, and Corran can't lift, so that's out then.

She could be Kam's kid. Is Bruce Willis on the cast list? Rian Johnson made Looper, Willis starred in Looper, Johnson's doing TLJ... yeah that's possible.

But chances are whoever left her on Jakku is a seriously dangerous bloke. Says Snoke. Snoke and Kylo know "the girl" is some sort of legend. Only one person could inflict such fear in their enemies: Kyle Katarn. I bet that's why Kylo is called Kylo too. Maybe he thinks he defeated him and took his name in battle, but no. Katarn will be back. Snoke knows this which is why he won't talk to anyone in person.

If not Kyle than Streen. He put her on a planet where there's no weather to hide her mutant Force superpowers.

Grey1, Dante1120, Gamiel and 6 others like this.
  21. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    I love Streen. Bring him back. Especially given the Luke we've seen so far has at least a few hints that match him in BFT, the same series where Luke left the new Jedi to Streen's leadership. It only makes sense, therefore.

On this topic, I will be disappointed if we don't get a JGL cameo, given his track record for Johnson movie appearances.

Barriss_Coffee, Kylun and Revanfan1 like this.
  22. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    This one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Yes, I maintain my previous assessment. The "who are you" line is likely not happening at the superficial level of Luke not knowing who she is and instead has deeper meaning.

Revanfan1 and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  24. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Or he's just trying to screw with her like Yoda did with him.

JediMatteus likes this.
  25. Dr. Steve Brule

Sep 7, 2012
    Especially given all the (rather hollow in retrospect) emphasis before TFA came out on how, for Abrams, the central question that movie tried to answer was "Who is Luke Skywalker?"

darthcaedus1138 likes this.