main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Truly missing the Yuuzhan Vong, Killiks, Abeloth, Lost Tribe, Ssi-Ruuk, Thrawn, Joruus C'Boath, One Sith, Yevetha, etc. right about now.

DelRiego likes this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Confidence is what it's all about in the end, you think they will, I'm no longer convinced.

Ah, guidelines... Now where's that line about those? ;)

A lot of the time I can go with the idea of no set plan, each ep building logically on the next - it can work. Where I'm wary of it is when you get one guy who comes along and sets a couple of plot bombs and then walks away and leaves it to someone to clean up the mess. Thus Han is killed by his son. What happens next JJ? I don't know, ask Rian. Uhhhh, yeah. Then the next guy does cleaning up, including somehow getting Luke's words to Rey right - that'll be quite a coup - then sets off his own plot bombs and legs it then, the last guy will either get told: Now you got to wrap this up or just bring it to a head, but know there'll 3 more films t really resolve it all we haven't told anyone about.

For me, this just feels like old Star Wars and old Star Wars ran itself into the ground in the near enough same era too. It's why I became so interested in all the other era work they've done and that's been fantastic, but the late post-Jedi era? Nope, it's pretty clear it just isn't going to be for me now. Too much a sense of deja vu, of having walked this path before, of navigating around a story direction I don't care for while seeking rare enjoyable stories that work despite it all (Bloodline)

On the other hand I get to save a whole ton of cash in the next few months.

(It also pretty much ends the interminable Q of: Why isn't there more stories between RotJ and TFA? Because they don't really know where they're going, wait until 2020,OK?)

This isn't a rage-quit of SW, rage generally? Been there, done that, got T-shirt, ate the hamster. No, this is disappointment but only at a piece of SW. The rest of it I expect to continue to enjoy.

3. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I could be wrong but the whole Story group thing feels like more for show than anything. I doubt it would stop anyone contradicting something, if or when they do. Rebels show has people tying themselves in nots on that one, trying to justify the blatant contradictions as one obvious e.g

For me I get the feeling that Disney are trying to turn Star Wars in another Marvel movie series. Albeit with there own characters (who are the same as Lucas just repackaged differently) and with the odd exception like Winter Soldier they are pretty much the same movie but they are enjoyable enough that they sell. The problem they have hear is that it's against the Saga style story of Starwars and that's what's causing the problem, too different formats clashing.

It should be said in justice that Disney aren't the first to do this. During the Bantam days it was the Warlord of the week. It was part of the reason why the Thrawn trilogy remains so popular in comparison. One it was the first and so most original in comparison to the rest and two there seemed some actual character devolpment going on

4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    That's not a great comparison because the MCU films pretty much all work independently (and when they don't, they tend to be more poorly received). They just set up hooks for future movies too. Whereas with TFA, it's clearly just one part of a larger story - far more so than ANH was, in comparison. Which is why it's rather perturbing to hear that said story is apparently not being very well planned out in advance. It's not as much of an issue as with the prequels, since there isn't a predetermined endpoint that the ST has to get to, but it's not an ideal situation.

5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    So we only get new versions of old stuff? Nothing that's really new?

6. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Not sure where you're getting that. The FO Walker is rather pathetic, but the Resistance bomber looks quite distinctive.

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I most have missed them, and I should have added a smiley to show that I was not really serious

8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    So Gamiel I got someone for your costume club:

(warning major spoilers although I know from FB half of you have seen this already):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So...
    It would seem the rumors about Snoke in the gold glitzy bathrobe are true.

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I cannot resist...

Gold? Now who else do we know that likes gold? Oh yeah....

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Well played Jedi Ben. [face_laugh]

I think that one spends a lot of time in his bathrobe too.

In all seriousness, the idea of Snoke in a bathrobe makes me cringe. I hope the reality is better than the image I have in my head.

Barriss_Coffee and Jedi Ben like this.
  11. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Snoke was in his bathrobe the whole of TFA.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Hopefully it is as unnoticeable in TLJ.

13. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Listen, if Snoke dresses like a 70s pimp or Kayne, it is LITERALLY the first original thing we've found out about him vs. being Palpatine 2.0.

14. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    So do we have much in the way of information on this Vice Admiral Holdo?

draw73 likes this.
  15. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    And here is the Lego set of Snoke's SSD flagship:

[​IMG]

SWpants likes this.
  16. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    If only it was Vice Admiral HONDO.

DelRiego, fett 4, BigAl6ft6 and 2 others like this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    :_| If I needed reason to bail on this bit of SW, this gives it. They teased the Eclipse and did this! Rotten gits.

It would have been fantastic to see a reworked Eclipse - would have given the FO some much needed ship elegance too.

18. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    To be fair...

the Lego design could be different from the final movie design, nor do we know what changes the Eclipse may have undergone between the Aftermath Trilogy and the ST. Maybe Snoke decided he needed a new ship. After all, the First Order officers didn't keep the classic Imperial uniforms, and the FO Stormtroopers underwent some design changes on their helmets.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  19. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    Well, on closer examination it might just be a Resurgent-class for the Lego set. According to the number this is the front of the box:

[​IMG]

Odd engine set-up for a Resurgent on the back though.

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yes, yes, I like this line of thought.

PCCViking likes this.
  21. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    You're welcome, internet:

[​IMG]

22. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Snoke wearing a gold bathrobe is the best thing about him so far. Not even joking.

23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It's like,
    Snoke could go after those pesky heroes, but then he's like

Darth_Duck, WMIRTUTSF and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I was feeling bored today... so new Snoke theory! :D

Snoke tells Hux and the other FO officers that he wants to rule the galaxy and bring order (a more totalitarian and purist order than Palpatine's empire) and revenge on Luke and the Republic/Resistance... but what he REALLY wants is Eternal War and Chaos to feed the dark side (and then when the dark side becomes strong enough, Snoke is able to heal and return to youth). The feeling that the ST is feeling like a cycle of the OT is intentional... Snoke wants to "reset" galactic civilization, and wipe out those with knowledge of the Force, so the cycle can keep repeating and continuing.

Perhaps the cycle has already repeated several times. Each time, some Chosen One comes to balance the Force, but can never complete the job, galactic civilization and knowledge of the Force is "reset," the cycle of war and suffering and chaos continues, and Snoke recovers his youth and health (only to slowly age and deform again over the millennia, until it's time for him to "reset" the galaxy again).

He fears that Luke is close to finding a way to finally break the cycle, and Rey is the key to it somehow.

25. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I got to say, the gold bathrobe makes Snoke ten times cooler.