main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    My sympathies.

Dr. Steve Brule and Revanfan1 like this.
  2. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    [​IMG]

Off-topic: I prefer college football to pro.

On-topic: Finn and Leia are the two characters I'm most emotionally invested in, so I'm looking forward to seeing new shots of them (and reading the internet's dissections of each glimpse into itty-bitty bits :p). More interior or exterior shots of Canto Bight and its denizens would be cool, too.

PCCViking and starfish like this.
  3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Oh, on the contrary, I love it. It's just exhausting.

4. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
  5. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Off topic for the point of this thread, but I liked that the "Shakespeare's Tragedy of the Sith's Revenge" made it so that Plagueis was trying to save his own wife from death. The idea of a Dark Lord having a spouse that they actually cared deeply about is an interesting concept that would be something new, especially compared with Anakin's obsessive possessive view of his own wife.

And jumping on to add that having Snoke be an Angel of Iego would be something I'm fine with as well, though I do find it hard to believe that the big reveal for the ST villain will be that he's one of the beings mentioned in one of the most-mocked lines of dialogue in The Phantom Menace. I find it hard to believe that Lucasfilm would OK that. At least for something revealed within TLJ/IX; as something that gets established after the release of IX (like in a future Snoke book) I see as more likely.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  6. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    seeker_two and Dawud786 like this.
  7. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Sorry, but the porgs still aren't making me go "awwww." And I don't like it when something exists just to make me go "awwww."

fett 4, Ghost, spicer and 3 others like this.
  8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    It will be revealed that they are actually new-canon's Hoojibs

9. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    seeker_two likes this.
  10. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    What re these, Force nuns?

PCCViking likes this.
  11. Karl0413

Mar 11, 2015
    From the article (short answer, yes):

“They’re kind of these sort of fish-bird type aliens who live on the island,” Johnson says. “They’ve been there for thousands of years, and they essentially keep up the structures on the island.”

The Caretakers are slightly more anthropomorphic than the porgs. They’re animated with a person inside (Daisy Ridley said a friend played one of them) and they wear clothes and speak in an alien tongue.

“They’re all female, and I wanted them to feel like a remote sort of little nunnery,” Johnson says. “Neal Scanlan’s crew designed them, and costume designer Michael Kaplan made these working clothes that also reflected sort of a nun-like, spartan sort of existence.”

They can communicate with Luke through what Johnson describes as “a blubbery sort of Scottish fish talk” but they’re not thrilled to have him hanging around. Johnson says they “tolerate” his presence.

Ghost, MercenaryAce, Kylun and 3 others like this.
  12. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    A) I love that the Caretakers seem a bit persnickety with Luke. No doubt he'll be much the same in return.

B) I love the line that basically says that "Luke wants to be Luke again." That's awesome. Like, a tiny part of me might've been afraid that there was an infinitesimal chance I wouldn't like what they end up doing with Luke, but now I'm almost 100% certain that won't happen. Because him wanting to be his old self proves that he's still the hero of the OT, he's just changed. This is going to be an epic journey. Y'all, I'm going to full-stop sob when I watch this in December.

13. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I really quite like the Praetorians. More and more each time I see them. That's a really great, original design while still hearkening back to the OT.

That being said, I am getting worries that this is going to be to ESB what TFA was to ANH. More and more I'm getting that bad feeling.

fett 4 likes this.
  14. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    No just no :( !

It's doesn't just exist to make you go awww but also think gee let me get my wallet out and buy the Toy

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I belive it will taste great deep fryed and served with aioli

16. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Oh my Ghuudd, you're going to eat the Space Guinea Pig :scream:

Jedi Knight Fett and Jedi Ben like this.
  17. Karl0413

Mar 11, 2015
    Chewie says it tastes like Correllian Chicken:

[​IMG]

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  19. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I doubt it means what you think it means. He could mean that they have to work together to keep the balance, not necessarily indicating a relationship of any kind.

There was an implication in Legends that required the Jedi and the Sith to maintain the balance to keep Abeloth in check (at least that's my interpretation from what I remember from reading Fate of the Jedi). Something similar could be in play here.

20. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
  21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm not a fan of their having to work together or their being yin yang either.

I didn't automatically think romance when I saw the article. What I did think is that they are not going to be characters who have had journeys, made choices and now reaping consequences of those choices, so much as they will be symbols of the Dark Side and the Light Side, good and evil personified.

And Good personified is not good because it chooses to be, it just is, same as Evil personified.

Not a fan.

fett 4 likes this.
  22. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    The actual EW article doesn't seem to suggest anything about them working together or having a relationship. I don't know why people are assuming it does. Johnson says Kylo represents teenage rebellion and "pushing away" from family, whereas Rey is maturing and actively seeking answers about her family and her future. They have similarities and contrasts; nothing suggests they'll be hanging out together.

Revanfan1 and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  23. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I predict for Episode 9 that Rey and Kylo will work together against Snoke.

24. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    If Kylo and Rey are halves of darkness and light, is anyone else getting vibes of the Mortis arc from the Clone Wars? At this rate, it may very well end up with Luke, Kylo, and Rey traveling to Mortis to become the new Ones, 'Father', 'Son', and 'Daughter'.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    sidv88:

I hated the Mortis arc. That was my first thought on the article, that it sounds very Mortis-esque.

I'm not familiar with Abeloth, I deliberately did not read past The Unifying Force.