main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    No, dude, you're missing the point.

A rumour cannot reveal anything. It's a rumour, not gospel. "Rey's parentage revealed" is massively overstating the case.

Even if it turns out to have been true, you're still jumping the gun massively.

2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Umm...okay?

Seriously, I have no reason to believe this. Even if it were true, it's not even a worst case scenario: pretty annoying, but not terrible. People have actually speculated she's a living incarnation of the Force itself, so this isn't that bad, at least. Do I like this idea? Not particularly. I think I like it better than Rey-incarnated (hah! see what I did there?) Anakin Skywalker, if we absolutely have to have reincarnation. But I'd still prefer for her to either be Luke's daughter or else a random girl. No need for Super Special Ancient Connections, IMO. I'd be willing to see how this plays out if it's true, but...again, I have no reason right now to believe it is true.

The biggest issue is it stepping all over "Anakin Skywalker is the Chosen One." After everything Lucas did in the PT, whether fans like it or not, it's definitely unfair for these guys to say "Hey, Anakin was never actually the Chosen One, this girl is!" If Vader had never been redeemed, yeah, I could get this. But he was redeemed, and he did destroy the Sith, so that seems unfair.

3. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Fair enough then it's a rumour, though from what's come previously, I do find it believable that it could be true. Not that I think it's good of course. I think it's awful and I hope it isn't, just to be clear.

Also the less than subtle jab against Lucas in this, is also not something that's very nice either.

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I just don't see a Tree being that important to the Force and the universe.

Or why being the reincarnation of the first Jedi is that significant, unless Anakin was also one, tying into the "multiple reincarnations of the Chosen One" rumor.

5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Did you watch TFA?

MercenaryAce and fett 4 like this.
  6. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003

Oh, Havac, I thought you would recognise a rhetorical question when posed. [face_shame_on_you]

fett 4 likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If Rey's father really is a ****ing tree, that makes her constant hope for her family returning to Jakku even more terrible and disheartening.

No place for a tree to grow there.

Dr. Steve Brule and fett 4 like this.
  8. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Yes, it is.

It's so bad that, should it come to pass, the extent of my negativity will make Hav and Trip's, combined, look like fondness.

9. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Oh. Okay. :p

10. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    "... and then it finally clicked."

"Yeah."

"We decided to introduce the concept of reincarnation to Star Wars. It seemed totally out there at first."

"At first, yeah. And we knew we'd need a really good hook to justify its inclusion."

"And that's when we realised fans would really enjoy learning that the central figure of this sequel trilogy was the new incarnation of a character they'd never heard of before.

"Totally. It's a story that just needed to be told. And, of course, it allows us to tie her in with Snoke"

"Her original incarnation's brother, yeah. It means he's truly connected to the Saga, rather than just some random Dark Wizard we pulled out of a hat."

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    ...and I will write a review that will make my review of Dark Disciple look like a gushfest.

Seriously, I am going to have to watch this drunk just to get through it if this is true.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  12. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I mean, it sounds insane. I'm not going to say they can't pull it off. It's possible they could do it well. Still. It sounds insane and ridiculous. We'll see how true it is in time (and I really doubt it is).

13. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    That leads up to the title for the new episode
    Return of the Redwood
    It's like poetry, it rhymes :p

Revanfan1 As said previously, the whole hand in space idea was considered bad and dismissed but Mark Hamil confirmed had been true too.

14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    So Max von Sydow Luke tells this all from a tree?

So where's the part where they get attacked by ice zombies? And who holds the door? Chewie?

Revanfan1, Ghost, WMIRTUTSF and 2 others like this.
  15. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I'm guessing Snookums is the brother. It's also going to be a Lord of the Rings crossover, Treebeard "No Rey I am your father"

16. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Andy Serkissssssssss
    [​IMG]

Dinos4Ever and fett 4 like this.
  17. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    My suggestions:

ROOTS OF THE JEDI

RISE OF THE BARK SIDE

Also, remember use to use forward slash when doing spoiler tags. From quoting you, that seems to be why your spoiler formatting keeps going screwy.

Incorrect: [ spoiler ] Words words words [ spoiler ]

Correct: [ spoiler ] Words words words [ / spoiler ] (Without spaces.)

fett 4 likes this.
  18. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Cool no probs :)

Episode 8 A New Oak

Barriss_Coffee and Ulicus like this.
  19. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Wow, that's . . . actually better.

[​IMG]

fett 4 likes this.
  20. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Eh. A lot of the Episode VII rumors that I used to read on this site ended up being true. For the ones that didn't pan out completely, I could still see bits and pieces of them that were left in the Force Awakens. I think what we're seeing with a lot of these sequel trilogy rumors, is information from various drafts of the script being leaked.

That being said...

I see no reason why the rumors of Rey being a reincarnation of Anakin or being a reincarnation of the first Jedi can't or won't both end up being true. The synthesis of the two ideas is that the Chosen One is a reincarnation of the first Jedi that shows up every now and then to restore balance. I would be really surprised if they totally decide to crap on Lucas and flat out decide that Anakin was never a chosen one. Not just ballsy but needless. Could happen I guess.

Both rumors or a combination of them would totally and adequately explain Rey as portrayed in the Force Awakens.

And that being said...

I had high hopes for The Force Awakens but thoroughly disappointed.

If these rumors turn out to be true in whole or part, I'm done. It's a corporate rehash of the same tripe that's been done for the last ten years since the Matrix 2.

I have no desire yet another story utilizing a Western bastardization of Eastern mysticism just to get my money, ie the overdone avatar idea..

I have no desire to see the continuing saga of Reyatar the Last Force Bender.

21. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    If Rey's Anakin.......

dudes this is the same reveal as ESB. C'mon Abrams even you've got to have limits. No wait you're not Abrams this time. Ok Johnson, whoever's piloting the ship, you can't do that twist twice. I mean people said you were directing something weird but that's not cool weird, that's silly weird. Like that's M. Night Shyamalan weird. But worse. Because even The-not-a-Village and Seeing Dead People Kid didn't feel like seeing a black cat in the Matrix twice. Even the bird in the swimming pool movie was better.

I don't remember what I'm talking about anymore so carry on.

22. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Don't worry; Reyvatar is not happening, Anakin's status as the Chosen One isn't being revoked, the tree is not the source of the Force, and that god-awful "script" excerpt with Luke and Yoda guiding Rey on a vision won't resemble the final film at all. This whole "rumor" is just spun by fans with too much time on their hands, trying to fool other fans. "There's a tree... that must be the Tree of Life! TFA was like ANH, so VIII must be like ESB, so there must be an "I am your father" twist, but instead it'll be Rey who's Luke's father reborn! No, wait, JJ & Disney hate the prequels & are ignoring them, so Rey is actually the reincarnation of the very first Jedi, and Anakin wasn't the Chosen One at all but merely some random baby fathered by the Force...or Shmi was just lying about there being no father! Yeah, that could work! And Snoke needs a personal connection to Rey, so he's the reincarnation of the first Jedi's brother who turned evil, just like Smeagol...whaddo you mean Smeagol was Deagol's cousin, not brother? What do you mean, Disney & JJ weren't planning on ignoring or insulting the Prequels? Whaddo you mean, VIII isn't gonna resembled V because they only intended the 'remix' to be in TFA only to reintroduce the kind of movies the OT were? Whaddo you mean, a tree could just be a tree and we already saw where the Force was born in TCW's 6th season?"

23. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    The rumors about Rey being the reincarnation of Anakin, or Palpatine, or the embodiment of the Force (as well as her being the kid of Ob-Wan, Palpatine, etc.) all stated flying immediately after the movie came out. Which doesn't mean they technically won't come true. But it does mean those rumors began before anyone could possibly know (or claimed that their origin were) what's in the 8 script. Just like these tree rumors only appeared after the picture of the giant tree got released.

Revanfan1, Toonimator and Vthuil like this.
  24. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Personally, I consider them less as rumors and more as crackpot fan theories.

25. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Yeah, I have no idea why people panic over these things. It's not impossible, but the correlation makes the claim that they're genuine leaks highly suspicious.

Jedi Ben, Revanfan1 and Cynical_Ben like this.