main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That is excellent to read. The ending of TFA, by all accounts, demands immediate follow-through in a way the other films don't. It also differentiates it from the others too, so giving it a distinct identity.

It also gives more weight to Bloodline.

Finally, is it likely that Ep 9 does the same trick? Perhaps - doing a trilogy a one big blow-out story would be different in SW terms.

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    While with Johnson also coming up with the story for Episode IX, I get the feeling stringing the whole trilogy together as basically a series of events that happened over a week seems unlikely. Also I'd wager LFL would be okay with a gap between VIII and IX just so they can do one of them in-between movie media projects. However, while it's way too early to speculate, I'd bet IX would have a time jump if only the reason VIII is picking up after VII is because we NEED to see that scene when Luke first talks to Rey, dammit!

Jedi Ben likes this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    How do you know Luke hasn't taken a vow of silence? Thus he communicates by mime. [face_devil]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
  5. RavagerFish

RavagerFish Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2011

I wanted to clarify the title of this article--IGN is reporting that Rian had the cast watch those movies, but what he said in the panel (I was lucky enough to be there) was that he had the people over at LucasFilm watch it. For instance, Pablo Hidalgo, Kathleen Kennedy, and Kiri Hart all implied watching those films. Pablo and Rian were joking about how some of Twelve O'Clock High made its way into 8. I think it was more for the people involved in creating the story for VIII that had to watch them so they could, as Rian said, "have a similar vocabulary."

It was an amazing panel, and Rian is clearly a genius filmmaker. Really funny too. At one point, they did Larry Kasdan impressions, and said that everyone at LucasFilm had George impressions, which I would love to hear.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Looks like Episode 8 will probably be a story of Situational Leadership, the madness of war, the moral complexity and murkiness of war, how sometimes betrayal is the only way to regain honor, survival and madness in isolation, villainous cults and potentially-suicidal cult leaders, and both sides competing for control over the same thing.

7. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    All of which are good things. It could make for a very deep and morally complex film if everything comes off the way he wants.

Ghost and Revanfan1 like this.
  8. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    So basically the KOTOR II of the ST? I'd love that.

Cynical_Ben likes this.
  9. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I dunno... this might just annoy people who were mad about TFA being a "downer" further. It's risky, and while I'm in favor of taking risks, the fact that the EU had a pretty mixed track record on pulling off this kind of thing is in the back of my head.

10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  11. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Okay, that dude has some epic shoes.

12. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I don't care much for his design, but I love his outfit.

13. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    THAT IS NOT THE POINT.

well yes, that was exactly the point. But there was another point! For that post. Unless you think I just go around posting random crap apropos of fish admiral.

14. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Ghost: Who is suggested to be mad due to isolation? If you mean Luke, I find it very unlikely just as I do that he's a coward. Just because he retreated does NOT automatically equal coward.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  15. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Yeah, but without quoting it's impossible to tell who the thumbs-up is for.

16. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Lots of "Points", it's easy to tell, your a Timothy Zahn fan :p ;)

17. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    I have failed.

Re:

+

+

Storm clouds ahead. Don't be caught unprepared.

[​IMG]

18. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I love the dapper white gloves.

19. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Interesting. The only two I myself haven't seen out of these are the Samurai one and "Letter Never Sent." I'll have to pick those up some time and give them a watch.

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm more and more apprehensive about this.

I just want a fun movie, not some Haute Couture Arthouse event in which we are all supposed to study film and reflect upon our morals.

Jedi Ben, CT-867-5309 and fett 4 like this.
  21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Trust is life.

22. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013

Oh, I'm definitely sure it'll be a fun movie in the classic Star Wars vein–just maybe a little more with moral reflections on the part of the characters.

23. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Second half, yes, please. That's what I've wanted the whole time. :)

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Revanfan1 :

Kylo looks in the mirror: "Holy hell, I am a kriffing idiot. I must go beg my mother for forgiveness and then commit seppaku with these dumb-looking lightsaber."

Rey: "Next time I'll kick him in the crotch."

Finn: "So THAT'S how the Force works. I'll ask before commenting next time."

There we go, moral reflection time over. :p

25. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm not really sure why I should put these in spoiler tags since these "rumors" were around once we learned about exiled Luke in TFA, but the "supposed spoilers" seem to be hanging on one of two points (sometimes both) that fall into the morals category.

1) Luke isn't hiding but preventing himself from doing further harm after having committed a morally dubious act.

and/or

2) Rey wasn't stranded but exiled because she did something bad a la Revan, or she will do something bad and they're hiding her to prevent some atrocity.

...I'd be cool if the plot hinges on these. There may be a degree of "let's prevent X from happening by making worse move Y" to either of these scenarios. Like those classic Greek myths. And to an extent, the PT, although it wasn't as clear what the Jedi were trying to do with the Prophecy (mainly because they didn't seem to understand it anyway).

DelRiego likes this.