main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Well if you look at what they're doing in Rebels, that scenario is definitively a possibility.

2. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    And by that you can see that this would at least get a reaction out of people! What was the last great, 'disturbing' "I am your father" twist in popcorn movies?

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I'd laugh.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That would be the healthiest reaction and one I would aim for.

I'm sure I would be in full-on disgust mode for Rey's character first. Loving the man who tortured her? For what reason?

At least there are the spinoffs in which I could hope for better characters/better characterizations.

If Kylo is going to be redeemed, my idea is that it would happen through Leia, at least indirectly. He seemed to have a better relationship with her than with his father. Maybe he would realize that Snoke is using him and decide he wants to help his mother. Maybe the First Order puts her in enough danger to wake him up.

Now if Rey turns out to be a cousin or long-lost sibling, I'll change my mind about whether she should be in the role of saving him, but anything else would put her in a Padme-in-ROTS type position in which her purpose in the story is to try to save one of the male leads through romance.

5. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    If Kylo is going to be redeemed, Leia needs to do it. She's the only one who believes in him, and she didn't get the chance to go with Luke to the second Death Star and confront Vader.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You know, I'm starting to think that if ANH was done now people would be going on about how terrible it was that Luke killed Tarkin and all those "noble" Imperial officers.

Seems that if you're a bad guy redshirt, you get slaughtered; if you're Named Bad Guy - Kylo - you can't be offed.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree with you, in fact I have already seen and rolled my eyes at those arguments. I may just be feeling my age to some extent but it seems that we can't just have a good side and a bad side anymore lest people complain that it's boring, everything has to be all muddied and ****.

But there is also the problem of Kylo being a Skywalker/Solo, and Han and Leia's only child. If he dies, unless there is a revelation of another Skywalker somewhere, the line is dead.

Which is why it was a mistake of monumental proportions to make him Han and Leia's only child.

La Calavera, Kylun and Jedi Ben like this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, there is indeed that.

Ultimately I'm not so attached to villains that they can't get killed off*. Plus, there's the Hydra element - kill one and two will take their place.

* Blame British comics, or perhaps more accurately Joe Dredd.

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Then those people should both love the Prequels but hate ROTS. Why? Because, by the end of ROTS, all the ambiguity that Sidious took advantage of to propel himserlf to power is stripped away. By the end of the films you have a crystallised structure where the division is pro and anti Empire so setting the stage for the OT. It's easily one of smartest aspects of the film. By the end, the Jedi are dead, Sidious and Vader rule, the building of the Death Star begins and we know 18 years time it goes boom.

I do have to wonder at those who throw the charge at the OT that it is too simple in its good / evil structure because Jedi really explores that with a good amount of nuance and complexity. ESB drops the bomb on the Luke-Vader relationship but it's Jedi that has to make it actually work and it does. And that's before we even factor in that the OT is a galactic civil war with all that that entails..... All within an overall framework of good and evil.

10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I strongly disagree with that.

Is that in response to Rey going to the dark side in Episode 9?
    I don't see it happening... but... it would be like watching the PT (or what people imagined the PT to be like) without knowing about the OT. As long as they end up then doing episodes 10-12 (which is rather inevitable), why not?

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I think that was in response to the idea of Rey falling in love with Kylo and "saving" him that way, but maybe I missed something or am projecting what would completely turn me off this trilogy.

I don't want Rey to go dark side either, but I could still keep watching if she did. If she goes full-on damsel for Kylo, overlooking his behavior towards her and everyone else for who the hell knows what reason (I certainly can't think of one), I'll be a spinoffs, books, and pre-Disney films only fan for awhile.

12. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Since he's the only Skywalker heir, his redemption is pretty much inevitable if you ask me.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You really consider the Emperor to be in any way redeemable Ghost?

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Everyone is redeemable.

It's a personal, fundamental belief to me.

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    No, no, no. Not the question, how is the Emperor redeemable? How do you consider him to be so?

With Vader we can look at him and see something, a tiny sliver perhaps at times, but something from which redemption could spring. What is that for Sidious?

16. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    He likes opera.

La Calavera, LelalMekha and WMIRTUTSF like this.
  17. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
  18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    You don't think about it the same way I do.

He's alive. He's a person. That means he's redeemable, that means there's good in him somewhere.

Palpatine never had a connection that could find that in him, and draw him back... like how Vader had Luke. We never even got to know as much about Palpatine as we did about Vader. But that doesn't mean it isn't there somewhere. The potential is always there.

I believe everyone in the real world is redeemable too, even tyrants and killers like Hitler. I don't believe in hell, at least not an eternal or punishing hell. Retribution is never justice. I believe everyone will eventually be saved/redeemed and go to heaven because everyone has some good in them. If they can't be reached in this life, I believe there's time after death where God will be able to find a way and reach them.

So yeah, of course that fundamental faith/hope/love carries over.

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Jedi really does seem to take pains to emphasise the difference between Vader and Sidious, we're supposed to be happy at the latter's demise and sadder at the former, post his act of redemption.

I really like this Carl Sagan quote:

The hard question becomes is: How many unique lives is one person to be permitted to wipe out in the name of their possibility of being redeemed? There is no quick or easy answer to it.

(Everything that's been posted about Invincible says Denning was going for Jacen-as-Emperor, the fans remained wedded to Jacen-as-Vader, thus we end up with an eternal clash over how that book plays out.)

Force Smuggler likes this.
  20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yes, Vader and Palpatine were different, one was redeemed before he died and one wasn't (at least to our knowledge).

And who said anything about permitting someone to wipe lives out because they might be redeemed? Whoever said that? Please don't fight with a strawman.

And going back to Star Wars and the point I originally responded to... if Vader had succeeded in killing Palpatine and becoming the new Emperor (say Luke didn't turn himself over at Endor, Vader killed Palpatine and fled before the Death Star II exploded and declared himself Emperor) would that have suddenly made Vader irredeemable?

No.

Kylo Ren killing Snoke and becoming the new Supreme Leader wouldn't make him irredeemable either.

21. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    That. Rey going temporarily dark would actually be an intriguing twist, although (barring the icky romance angle) I'm inclined to think it would make it harder to redeem him as well.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Sigh, you've been doing too much net debate with idiots-who-want-to-"win"-at-all-costs Ghost. That was simply my summary of the problem here, that's all. This is all intended as exploratory, not adversarial.

What has more value? A unique life or the redemption of a person living a bad one? If the two clash, what takes priority over the other? When is it permissible to kill a bad person? Doing so means depriving that person of their chance of redemption, but if it means others escape harm from that person, what then?

This is why Vader's redemption is problematic for me, what redress do his victims have?

It's why one of the elements in NJO I liked greatly was the idea of Anakin Skywalker aiding Jacen at the critical moments. That Anakin was indeed redeemed but that he looked on at the galaxy he had wrought and sought a form of atonement offering in helping with the Vong, that only then did he see a need that he could aid with that might be a sufficient start.

23. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    He enjoys laughter.

LelalMekha, WMIRTUTSF and Dante1120 like this.
  24. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    The emperor isn't redeemable in my eye in the context of the story being told because he's not character or rather I should say "person"... if that makes sense. Rather he is a stand in or embodiment for something like 'temptation', 'evil', "the dark side', etc. Kind of like how Sauron from Lord of the Rings embodies war, despair, or some other vice. Jabba is in the same vein, except he is embodies 'greed'. Less a person and only existing as a hurdle for the hero to overcome. If Luke was not a character in the trilogy would there be any reason for the emperor to show up? The emperor has no backstory, no characters or hints from his past. See, we can't even come up with the question of "Can the emperor go through redemption?" without it being a hypothetical question in relation to other characters. In the Original Trilogy he's a name spoken with reverence or whisper and then bam! he shows up to turn Luke to the dark side.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  25. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    What do you mean, if it was made now? The Clerks scene made "well actually, Luke is really a mass murderer!" a very common contrarian argument in the 90s. I'm pretty sure David Brin used it in Star Wars on Trial, too. Hell, Karen Traviss probably had Luke Skywalker himself confess to deliberately trying to kill everyone on the Death Star as a reason why he was terrible in LOTF.