main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode VIII Toys, Collectibles, Action Figures, etc. (Including Force Friday Discussion)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by EHT, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016
    Agreed. Though I do like the alternate Rose figure and the FO deck officer

2. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Interesting video about this situation of Habro today

whostheBossk likes this.
  3. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    yep, nothing to wait for anymore, toys for SW seems to be dead.

T-R- and Jaxxon- like this.
  4. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Bet his next vid will be How To Save ToysRUs?

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  5. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I have to ask, and I have no children myself so excuse my ignorance, but at what age do kids nowadays really grow out of toys? And when I say toys I mean action figures, playsets, dolls and the like. Surely it be must a lot earlier than when people in their 30s and 40s (even people in their 20s, actually) were kids? Do kids really play with toys anymore, and if so, for how long?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  6. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    I want a basic and a hot toys craft Luke an I will be done collecting Star Wars.

nightangel likes this.
  7. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Hahaha. That was a good one.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    SW IS DEAD LONG LIVE THE SW

9. n8storm

n8storm Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2005
    My oldest is 9 and he still plays with action figures. Neither of my kids really care for Star Wars figures outside of troopers and Kylo Ren when it comes to figures based on the new movies. I think the days of nearly every character getting an action figure are over. Besides Last Jedi not being the most kid friendly of SW movies, I think figures based on characters like Rose and Hux just aren't that appealing to kids.

whostheBossk and Krueger like this.
  10. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016
    ^^^ *GASP*

Don't say such a thing! Time is the true factor, every character gets a name, species, backstory AND action figure!

11. Darth Bridge 167

Darth Bridge 167 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2017
    Why don't they realize that the Star Wars Toy market is dominated by older collectors and they can start gearing each new movie line that way. TFA Toys were pretty good, but the TLJ toyline was pretty bad (much cheaper quality).

I only collect the 3.75 Carded Figures and the TLJ line was easy to collect as I have the complete set of them. I thought I would have trouble buying Leia as the rumor is it would be scarce, but there were 3 of them at my local Target last week. Compare that to TFA where certain 3.75 figures just never made it to my area (Unmasked KyloRen, Stormtrooper Finn, Admiral Ackbar) as I had to buy them on the Internet.

I collected Baseball Cards for a long time and they shifted their marketing to older collectors as kids were just not collecting by the time the 90's rolled around like we did as kids. So they started making more high-end Cards and made them more scarce so the would hold their value. I went to ToyRUs the other day and they had very little TLJ toys, and were stacked with R1 toys!

You wonder if these people at Hasbro and Lucasfilm have a pulse of the fandom sometimes?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  12. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    I buy a lot of Black Series. I go to toy stores, and since they do not resupply, I buy everything on the Internet. Then the toy store does not see me buying stuff. Then they do not resupply. Rinse and repeat.

They do not have the pulse of the fandom. If they had, they would never buy so many Finns and so little Reys.

13. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    There are plenty of Reys. They are all over the tru, Wal-Mart's, targets, and kmarts by me

14. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    For TFA, before the premiere.

For TLJ, they just released the same characters with their new clothes. I mean, how many people will buy the same character again? Just the collectors, not the average buyer.

The secret to Gi Joe was to release over 500 different characters, This kept the line interesting and new.

How many Reys and Kylos and Poes do we need? For how long are we waiting for Dengar, Ponda Baba, etc, etc, etc ?

If Hasbro wants me and others to keep buying, then release the stuff we want. There is a point where I don't need to buy an Executioner Stormtrooper which is the same as a regular stormtrooper.

whostheBossk likes this.
  15. n8storm

n8storm Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2005
    The females Rey, Jyn, Rose, and Paige along with Hux are still warming the pegs badly in my town. They really need to cut down on all the Reys.

B99 likes this.
  16. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Being still quite young myself (23), I stopped “playing with toys” at around 10-12 years old and started “collecting action figures” at around 14 years old. My serious collecting only started a few years ago after I left high school. It seems intermediate school (11-12 years old) is when kids start outgrowing toys.

whostheBossk, T-R- and Ricardo Funes like this.
  17. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    Another major example, where are the Padmes? Only SH Figuarts have one Padme, which was very difficult to buy, expensive, etc... We should have 3 or 4 companies offering Padme action figures.

This is just an example. They need to stop being lazy and give us all characters.

18. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wish they’d stop making the same characters over and over, and give us lots of different ones. The main series I collect is the 6” black series. There’s been three Kylo Ren’s and Finn’s so far. I kind of feel ripped off paying for them three times. Dengar and 4-LOM are coming soon, which is awesome.

19. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    If Hasbro has at least 1 working brain cell, they would release a Bounty Hunter pack with the whole bounty hunter EP V crew.

And they could add in a cardboard background similar to the original scene. This is what will make people go buy new stuff.

Instead of releasing yet another stormtrooper variation.

20. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    All of those characters are huge peg-warmers at all the stores I’ve been to.

21. RogueZero

RogueZero Jedi Master star 2

Mar 17, 2009
    Hasbro's black series figures are pretty good I guess, though the facial sculpts are a bit off.

My favorite Star Wars character is, as many of you know, Rey, and to me the far and a way best Rey action figure that is under $100 (thinking of the amazeballs sixth scale Hot Toys Rey figures, which are like $400) is definitely the S.H. Figuarts Rey from The Last Jedi:

[​IMG]

It looks just like Daisy. Just beautiful.

22. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    I agree too many of the same characters and too many variations for those characters.

Lots of Rey and Kylo I’ve noticed, especially when it comes to POP figures. I haven’t kept up with the black and elite series as much as I’ve wanted to but I like those black series deluxe sets.

As far as the new characters, I don’t think people, kids to, will be itching to buy a Holdo, DJ, and even Rose. Those characters don’t appeal to the wide audience of fans, though I know the collectors, including myself will pick them up just to have.

TLJ doesn’t really have too much to work with anyways, even with the old characters it’s just new outfits and most of the stuff has been released. The only thing they really haven’t done much of is the Crait scene for those character.

This is where I miss Micromachines. They must have not have done well enough for TFA to bring them back, but would have loved to see the rebel base in Crait as a micro machine set or even regular play set, though that would probably be $200 to...

Just my venting and two cents. In a way I’m glad it is underwhelming. It will make me save money and space for future releases. I went overboard with TFA, but imo the lines were great all around IMO. I can’t see myself investing too much into Solo as I already have so much Han stuff. It will really have to be unique for me to purchase it.

23. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    From mid-80's onwards, toy sales required a daily show to remember kids to buy the toys. He-Man, GI Joe, etc.

Star Wars needs to create a daily TV show, for 12 year olds, nothing too complex or fancy like Rebels. Simple storylines, no fancy politics or adult/complex themes.

Just the basic hero journey, good vs evil, period.

If Filmation could do it for He-Man, someone could do it today for Star Wars.

whostheBossk likes this.
  24. SOLARISENSHI

SOLARISENSHI Jedi Knight star 1

May 20, 2015
    You my friend have an iron will I always find that whenever a new Star Wars film comes out the completionist in me has to buy all the figures for that actually Have to give you major props

25. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    Hasbro is always going to release the main characters in various outfits, they've been doing that for every movie. Luckily, the sculpts have improved from the TFA line to the TLJ line - however, the TLJ assortment was pretty boring, though it did have some great figures. Secondary characters and background aliens are also important to add variety, which the line lacks. There are even a few figures that wont be making it to retail, just like the RO line, which only annoys fans. They need to focus on getting three waves to retail with less carry forwards and more variety and the line will improve.

Cantina Regular likes this.