main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode VIII vs Avatar 3

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by dolphin, Nov 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Of course Fern Gully has almost the same story. It bothers me when people called Avatar a ripoff of that movie, when that movie is, itself, a ripoff of DWW.

2. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Just about every movie nowadays is a rip off of an earlier movie or a book. How dare George Lucas rip off Joseph Campbell!

Personally, I don't mind seeing DWW/Avatar like stories until I die. As long as they're crafted well and aren't carbon copies of earlier works. To his credit, Cameron successfully retooled that story-line into a product that tapped into the masses....again (he occupies the top 2 spots on the top movie grosses of all time). My issue is the whole white Savior thread throughout these movies but that's a discussion for another day. :)

3. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I won't press you on that, but I do find it interesting that you and Beezer get opposite messages out of it where race is concerned.

4. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Uh, I'll be brief, in both movies it was a main singluar white man saving others from the destruction of his white man's civilazation which brings destruction to all that stand before it, thus not so much a white man savior story as a white man's redemption story. Its not so much a white man saves the day as it is a white man is saved by their unique outlook on things and chooses in turn to help them adapt to his civilazation. I get that one of you beleves it sets up white men as evil and you believe it sets up a white man as the hero again, but in this case both are true and both had to be the way it was narritavly speaking.

To the other point of Avatar being DwW in space... Though while the set up of Avatar and DwW is insanely similar to the point of almost being identical minus the Western vs Space aspect, one had a perfect happy ending and in the other one the white man still gets the girl but can't live out the rest of his days with their civilazation... hence why one got over $500 million plus tons of Academy Awards (ones that matter) and the other got $2.7 billion (3D ticket prices helped here) and Academy awards that don't matter.

5. Vastor

Vastor Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Who cares, Avatar 1 was new age crapola.

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    So... is this just an Avatar discussion thread at this point?

7. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    bringing the discussion back to relevancy....

Whatever the problems with Avatar (unoriginality, political messaging, etc), the sequels are sure to be boxoffice forces to be reckoned with. Iger must move Episode VIII away from a December 2017/2018 slot but that will cost him.

8. DEATHCONQUEROR

DEATHCONQUEROR Jedi Knight star 1

May 13, 2011
    Ep VIII all the way. With the sole exception of the creative cinematography, designs, and graphics, Avatar fell flat on its face in comparison to StarWars in the first movie. I dont think I have to mention in great detail what everyone knows already: 110% plot unoriginality, radical political dog-piling, annoying characters etc. I don't mean to exaggerate too much when I say that I think James Cameron and his movie crew were the only ones who actually ecstatically enjoyed watching Avatar. You can't anything remotely similar for StarWars, even if Abrams does give us a letdown (which I doubt will happen anyway).

9. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Are you surprised? There's very little to comment on, and Episode VIII and Avatar III are at least four years away. What did you expect the conversation was going to turn into, if not this?

I've said it before: certain threads are allowed to linger too long.

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    That was my point. I hope you're not asking me what I expected. ;)

So yeah, this has run its course already... locking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.