main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Episode VII's Music - What do you want to hear?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by DarthWilliams, Oct 19, 2014.

1. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    I was listening to the Empire Strikes Back score earlier today while doing some writing, and was blown away all over again by the brilliance of John Williams. Yoda's Theme in particular struck me as jaw-droppingly stunning.

All of this led me of course to think ahead to Episode VII and its score. What are you most looking forward to hearing come December 18, 2015? What older themes do you hope to make a return in Episode VII?

For me, I want a really iconic moment with the Force Theme, a la Luke staring into the binary sunset in ANH. I also absolutely adore Leia's theme and cannot wait to see her back on the screen with that melody in the background.

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    "Binary Sunset" of course (or rather as it has become now, the theme of the Force)
    The SW main theme used as a leitmotif for Luke
    "Leia's Theme"
    "Han Solo and the Princess"
    "Luke and Leia" (though I doubt that this will appear, it will be a forgotten gem)
    Those are the ones that come to mind at a snap

3. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    'Force Theme' is a must...it's been in every single Star Wars movie up until now. It needs to be behind another really emotional scene, one that marks a turning point in a hero's life. I'd also like to hear a little bit of 'Han Solo and the Princess' in an appropriate scene.

As for new music, I have no doubts that John Williams will come up with more iconic themes for heroes, villains, and battles. The guys' a genius and no one knows movie music like he does.

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah... I really have no specific "wants" for this movie music-wise. The mere presence of John Williams is enough for me to be confident that the music will be amazing and relevant to the scenes.

5. Revious Nugo

Revious Nugo Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 14, 2014
    I really hope he makes it to Episode IX!
    He's 82, though, so maybe I shouldn't be worried. Whatever.
    The music is one of Star Wars' main strong points as a whole series.

6. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    "Luke and Leia" is a must.

7. DarthWilliams

May 29, 2008
    I think he'll do VII and that's it. My guess is that he'll write a bank of really good themes that can be used throughout the ST, and another composer will come in to fill the gaps for VIII and IX.

Revious Nugo likes this.
  8. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Small smatterings of the Imperial March would be nice, even if just in a flashback. The Force theme and the main theme are also musts for me.

9. Revious Nugo

Revious Nugo Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 14, 2014
  10. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    I'd like John Williams to work with Michael Giacchino for composing the score.

11. Rogue_Squad_Leader-

Rogue_Squad_Leader- Jedi Master star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    After I watched the trailer about 90 times... honestly, I think I'm looking forward to Williams' new score the most.

DarthWilliams likes this.
  12. DarthWilliams

May 29, 2008
    I'll have the score on repeat from the second it's released until I see the film (and probably for some time afterward, as well). As I mentioned in another thread, though, I'll avoid track titles like the plague. I'll just transfer them as Track 01, Track 02, etc. to iTunes until the movie's released.

13. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'd have to say apart from the familiar older themes we will surely hear adaptations of, I hope that the new themes JW writes are iconic and memorable, but still original.

That is something I didn't like about Indiana Jones and the Kingdom...Skull. With the score there, it was either overabundances of rehashed themes from previous IJ movies, or jumbled action-type score-some of which was decent, but for the most part nothing memorable, such as the Father Son theme from Last Crusade, Imperial March, Jurassic Park Theme, Across the Stars, Yoda's theme, etc...

I'm hoping TFA score comes back to that.

Howard Hand likes this.
  14. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I want to hear a lot of OT themes throughout the ST. If it's one thing that the Prequels were sort of lacking, it was the traditional themes that helped make Star Wars so great in the first place. I think it's as important as the acting and storyline, in fact.

yogacat likes this.
  15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I got Bieber fever!

And it just made me throw up a little bit in my mouth.

Just let JW do what he does. Trust him, he knows what he's doing.

Thuro likes this.
  16. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    An abundance of new themes and motifs so that if John Williams is not up to the task of scoring Episodes VIII and IX, his replacement will have plenty to work with (ala Harry Potter series).

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  17. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    I what to hear the darkside music very cold brings chills everytime I hear it.

18. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I don't really understand this criticism. I heard nods to the OT score within the PT score, like Yoda's theme in ROTS and the Imperial March in AOTC. Can you explain some more please?:)

19. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I want to hear neat new stuff. Attack of the Clones did some unusual things for a STAR WARS movie, like the percussion when Zam Wesell was targeting Obi-Wan or the wild strings when Shmi died. "Duel of the Fates" was different too. I'm also eager to hear new in-movie music. Will there be something new to join the cantina music, "Lapti Nek", "Yub Nub"?

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  20. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    My point is, I felt that the films lacked the same feel that a Star Wars film should sound like. When I first watched TPM preview it felt like the tone would match what we saw before, but when the film hit, it seemed detached and unStar Wars like. Everything seemed new and too different, and to the point not what I wanted.

21. DarthWilliams

May 29, 2008
    I'm mostly curious to hear what the "single" is like - a la Duel of the Fates, Across the Stars, Battle of the Heroes. The big song that's always slotted in at track number 2 on the soundtrack release. The soundtrack is one thing I'm OK with spoiling myself with before seeing the movie (no track titles, though!).

22. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I would actually love to hear a new darkside theme, some kind of memorable, yet chilling and mysterious melody-similar to the emperor's theme. Great stuff. But something new.

It seemed that the PT made frequent use of choral-based themes, utilizing a full choir in the piece-like in duel of the fates, battle of the heroes, etc. I would love to hear something different in the ST-perhaps the use of different kinds of pipes, or harps or something. maybe even a soloist voice (similar to the vocal music during king Baldwin's death scene in Kingdom of Heaven.) Not in every piece, but kind of featuring a new/different kind of instrument usage in certain spots...

23. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    DARTH_BELO Soloist vocal could be really cool, if done well and placed in a fitting scene. hmmm

Another on my list of "Things that won't happen but would be fun" is a pipe organ leitmotif for a baddy. Imagine a maniacal, unbalanced Sith with a cue reminiscent of Toccata and Fugue in D minor.

24. yogacat

yogacat Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 6, 2014
    This is my absolutely favourite piece, glad to see it getting some love.

Obviously, the Main theme and Force theme. And I hope we get to hear the notes of Leia's theme in the seconds before the appears onscreen.

Seagoat likes this.
  25. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I'm hoping, if Plagueis is the villain, that we get to hear a reprise of the ROTS opera music as his theme. That music is chilling