Episode3.Net - [shut down by LFL]

Discussion in 'Fan Sites' started by Kavic_Toth, Jun 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kavic_Toth Manager Emeritus

star 5
    For those that don't know, E3.N was hacked today, and all their information was lost. All registered users. All posts. Everything.

The Admins and Moderators of E3.N are not giving up, and neither should we. I am not a Mod or Admin of these boards, but I do frequent them as one of the many alternate meeting places for us on the web who all have one passion in common, Star Wars.

These were great boards, and much was lost. But we can put it all back, even bigger and better than it was before.

As an Admin of my own site, I know how much work we put into these sites, and how much of a labor of love it is. We cannot let this idiot win with their actions today.

I sent this to all Members, Moderators and Admins on my own site:

To all Members, Moderators and Administrators of Imperial Beginnings:

One of our 'sister' sites, Episode3.Net, which is Moderated by one of our own here, Ousley, was atacked today by a hacker. They have had all their information completely wiped out. Posts. Users. Eveything. As one of our partners, we will stand behind them and offer our assistance in any way we can.

I strongly recommend that everyone that was registered there, and those that weren't, please hit our Portal Page link to Epi3.Net and re-register. Begin posting again. We will not allow some nimrod in his mommies basement with a blow-up woman to win by taking out one of our places to meet and spend time together.

Please, head over as soon as you get this. If it means ignoring IB for a few days, do so. Let's get Epi3.Net back on it's feet ASAP!

Thanks to all!

Tony (Kavic_Toth)
    Site Administrator, Imperial Beginnings

As I said in this mass email, let's get it back!

Head there now and register! Post and let's get this back together!

Episode3.Net - Star Wars Message Boards... TAKE IT BACK!
  2. jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Thanks, Tony. Just to clear up a few things.

- We were technically hacked yesterday mid-afternoon. I was in the middle of posting, and got logged out. I couldn't log in as myself, my sock, the test name, or anything. I coudln't register.

- I contacted some tech people (one of whom being Mike1987 who does some IGN stuff). They checked things out, our whole database was gone. I never even had database access, nor needed it -- yet someone was able to get in and delete it.

- We lost over 700 members and 50000 posts.

- We originally used discoboards, which is similar to snowboards (the JC). They're not nearly as good, and have some cheap add-ons, but people realy liked them at our site, so they worked well.

- Due to us no longer being able to download discoboards tables and no one having working files, we had to switch to phpbb, which I don't like at all.

- We're slowly getting back on our feet, though I do mean slowly. One of our mods was on vacation and didn't even know what happened until about 2 hours ago, and another mod on vacation doesn't know anything about it yet.

- We have no idea who did it, though we have a few guesses (none of which I will disclose here).

- If you have a message board that you run that is on its own server, PLEASE back it up at least once a day. This is what really killed us.

- So yeah, that's about it.

:(
  3. Sith_Wench Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hey J.Mo and KT,

Here to show my support. Sorry this happened cause you all did alot of work over there.

And crude! I just posted my fanfic. Oh well, will post it at the new site.

Good luck! :D
  4. anakin_girl Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Whoever did this needs to be put alone in a tent for about a month with a bunch of pissed-off Tusken Raiders. :mad:

In all seriousness, if you find out who did it, I hope you'll prosecute--I'm no lawyer but I'm pretty sure hacking into a site like that is illegal. Maybe someone else here would know better than I would about that.

I'm so sorry, ousley. :( :(
  5. AcklayComeHome Force Ghost

star 7
    I'll do anything I can to help out, just say the word. :)
  6. jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Thank you all for the support. :)
  7. stinbat Jedi Youngling

Well first off, I have to say it's sad to see our board, that had grown to host some very good discussion, let alone a level of activity to rival other great star wars sites, reduced to nothing.

When we eventually move back to discoboards or possibly a new message board software, we won't have the appx. 50,000 posts we had gathered, but hopefully we'll still have the same great community to start over with.

Thanks for all the support. :)

stinbat
  8. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Hackers. Blech. :mad:

This really sucks. Hopefully, stuff can be (mostly) sorted out soon ... :(

You guys already know I'm willing to help out wherever (well, whenever) I can. We can get through this. *crosses fingers*
  9. Ghost_Jedi Force Ghost

star 5
    Whoever did this needs to be put alone in a tent for about a month with a bunch of pissed-off Tusken Raiders.

How 'bout a pissed-off anakin instead.

- We originally used discoboards, which is similar to snowboards (the JC). They're not nearly as good, and have some cheap add-ons, but people realy liked them at our site, so they worked well.

So what are you saying we like the cheap and easy stuff instead. :p

I don't know how many of you know me, but I post mostly in the nsa board, and sw and jcc forums. Matt and the others worked really hard to get the site going and going good. At the site everybody had colors, and the ability to make or choose thier own icon, which gave the place a real family like feeling. At the time of the crash, 6 of us were having an organized debate on whether the force was one or two seperate forces. We encouraged people to read our positions and had a thread for viewers comments, and they had nothing but positive things to say.

And that was thing about e3.n, it was a very friendly place, void of alot of bs. It was started in sept '03, but me like alot of others signed on around february when there was the crisis w/ the mods. I checked it out b/c I made some friendships here that I wanted to continue. So I started posting over at e3.n It was definetly a nice spot to go to besides here. And even after everything settled down w/ the mods, I still tried to split my time evenly.

There was no cliques. People had the chance to do fun and personal things there. I couldn't tell you how many polls I have started over there. Heck it took me several times to get the whole thing right, but Matt was always there to help out.

Over at e3.n there are alot of upset jcers, who post at both sites. We are upset b/c many of our ideas and our moments w/ each other have been wiped away. And we are upset. However that has not dampened our resolve. We are determined to get back strong, and better than ever. So if you have a chance come over, make sure you duck under the 'under renovation' sign, and see what Matt has done. You might want to stay for a while.
  10. jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Thanks stinbat and Xan for stopping by -- great to see some of our mods here. ;)

And a huge thanks to Ghost_Jedi for that post. You rock man, and I owe you a big thanks for all the help you've given. :)

11. Falcon Chosen One

star 8
    I would do anything to help you guys out if you will let me
  12. Kavic_Toth Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Here here! To what Ghostie said, all of it.

The debate had some GREAT stuff in it, from both sides, and is a tremendous loss. And I am not saying that as one of the participants, as G_J, Ousley and Rebelscum77 were the opposing debaters to me. They had some VERY well articulated arguments, and it was an honor to be asked to do that with them. I do not mourn so much the loss of my own stuff in it, but to the others, re-reading those posts will be sorely missed.

The 'family' atmosphere there was awesome. It was a nice, friendly board, and we intend to make it so again.

And as Ghost said, our resolve will not dampen.

Well said, G_J, old buddy!
  13. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Hear, hear.

UP E3.Net!

It's good to have an alternative to the JC, which, as awesome as it can be, can also be extremely tiresome at times, as we all know.

Everyone worked hard to keep E3.N friendly, user-friendly, and it has the hottest mods!

Admitting defeat is NOT an option - it only lets the villains win. :(

Go kick some butt! [face_good_luck]
  14. Deneveon Force Ghost

star 4
    E3.n was beautiful, and will be as or even more than when everything's sorted out again.

I have faith!

[cue "Alleluia Chorus"]
  15. Lord Tuvitor Force Ghost

star 4
    I have faith in Carosel, stinbat, Ousley, and the rest of the E3.N team. You guys will pull through this. Keep the faith.

-LT
  16. IamZam Jedi Master

star 4
    I know I will do my best to make sure that our evil hacker who ever he/she may be will not win.

I wasn't a very posting person lately, but I did read alot of posts and I've always felt very at home and very welcome at E3.N. IT was like another family and one of only about 3 SW boards that I currently frequent.

If I can do anything to help, I'll be glad to get the Beta index back up and running. I may or may not even have a back up copy on my hard drive. ( I haven't had a chance to look yet.).

Kudos to all our mods and admins for the great job they did in getting us back up again.

May the hackers computer blow up and his net access be permently declined, and other evil thoughts to people who would do such things.
  17. RidingMyCarousel Force Ghost

star 6
    Things will get better.

This gives us a chance to build the community closer; all will be good and well. :)

~ James
  18. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Thanks to everybody for the support, and great posts especially by Kavic and Ghost :)

19. MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Make sure you have the ability to back things up this time, so it doesn't happen again.
  20. anakin_girl Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I think with the server they're using now--the same server I use for my site--it has the ability to easily back things up. I know that after what happened to E3.net, the other admins on Skywalker Journeys and I all made sure we had about three or four database backups.

Ghost: Hear hear. And yes, a pissed-off Anakin would work just as well. Pissed-off Anakin is a lot sexier and therefore more fun to watch. ;)

How about a permanent Cruciatus curse on the hacker. Or let his computer sprout teeth and eat him.
  21. jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Backups = much easier this way.

Plus, I have the ability to do them now. Before, it was just Carosel and Tom.

;)
  22. stinbat Jedi Youngling

I have the /boards folder back upped but not the DB.

stinbat
  23. darkknight_152002 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    - We lost over 700 members and 50000 posts.

:mad: I lost all my posts, all that discussion and especially my relentless, militant Obi-Wan defence! [face_plain]

I joined the new bord as darkknight_152002, so it shouldn't be too hard to miss me. I'm the dork who just posted a repost of our old Classical Music Discussion Thread. :)

At least we're back, and I'm back too after being gone for a week.
  24. swguru2004 Force Ghost

star 4
    I am glad to hear taht e3n is back up a running, but am saddened by the loss of data. Thanks to everybody who helped get us up and running again.
  25. jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus

star 8
    If it weren't for all the great members, we wouldn't have taken the time to set everything up. ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.