main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Episodes 7,8, &9 confirmed?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Snaggleass, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snaggleass

Snaggleass Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 6, 2004
    I heard this as of late. First, back in 1979, George was going to do them. Then he said no. Now he says yes! Is this true?

There will be no 7-8-9. Also, I have no idea why I let a Star Wars thread survive in this non-StarWars forum this long.

2. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    No, it's not true and has been said by Lucas himself and reported officially.

Back in the 80s there was indeed talk of 7-9 from Lucas himself and reported in many publications (I think I read it in Time back then). More recently Gary Kurtz mentioned that there was some talk although vague and in general terms of 7-9. But as Lucas moved to other endeavors he changed his mind (and apparently the reasons) about doing 7-9.

He might change his mind again but the chances are almost zero.

3. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I believe that Eps.VII-IX are possibility, but not anytime soon. Maybe for the 40th Anniversary or something like that.

4. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    Well Lucas would be over 70 then. I wouldn't hold my breath.

5. Snaggleass

Oct 6, 2004
    I remember when there was talk of 15 movies. Then 12, then 9. Funny it's only 6.

6. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I read an interview with Mark Hamill back at the beginning of January. He said that at one point Lucas envisioned a 12 film story arch.

7. Phredreeke87

Phredreeke87 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    What would have been 7,8 and 9 was condensed into RoTJ. In original ep 6, Vader would just have been redeemed, but the search for the emperor and Luke's sister would continue in 7-9.

8. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    I've never heard about 15 films, and only sporadically about 12, though no solid info.

The original 7-9 arc about the Emperor and Leia I had forgotten but was indeed mentioned by Kurtz in an interview.

9. Snaggleass

Oct 6, 2004
    The emperor is dead! Plus you can buy the books anyway.

10. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    In the original 9 episode arc, actually, I don't think Vader was redeemed. Luke's sister was an entirely new character, and the non-Skywalker Leia became Queen of the surviving Alderanneans. Han died. Luke didn't face the Emperor until he had grown an old, Obi-Wan type Jedi. Personally, I'll take ROTJ and all the Ewoks you can throw at me before that stuff.

For a while, 7-9 was something Lucas talked about even after ROTJ, but always in very vague, ambiguous terms. Something about Luke training new Jedis, the foundation of the New Republic, etc. However, without a villain to promote conflict, there can't really be any sequels to ROTJ. Unless, that is, Lucas decides to do something risky and potentially stupid like cloning Palpatine. Check the EU if you need to see just how much it doesn't work.

But hey. If Lucas decides to do it, then good news for everybody. It wouldn't be the first time he's changed his mind about how to do these movies. But let's hope he does some of his avant-garde art films first.

11. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    You can't say NEVER when dealing with Lucas. if anything, he might pass them onto some younger padawan to do while he acts as a consultant.

If this TV idea ever gets off the ground and excels in the ratings, then you might see more films.

12. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    ^I agree. I've often wondered if Lucas was testing the waters so to speak by releasing the SE trilogy in 97. If the SEs had flopped in theatres would the PT have been made?

13. SithHistorian

SithHistorian Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 13, 2005
    God it would be nice to more SW movies. but not likely, btw there are a million other threads on this.

SithHistorian

14. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    I think if Star Wars were to be anything else, it'd be a series on the sci-fi channel

15. darthYENIK

darthYENIK Jedi Master star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    Sounds like he had a choice between doing 7-9 or 1-3, and went for 1-3. Don't think there will be 7-9.

16. Sith-Jedi-Master

Sith-Jedi-Master Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2004
    well if there was going to be a 7,8,9 it would be good...i mean there is many ways in which you could tell this story....

it would be good if it did happen that they based it on th thrawn trilogy..i mean that was a good trilogy and it would work as series..

:):):)

17. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    There are many ways. Not "is". "Are". Okie-dokie?

And if Lucas does do 7,8, and 9, don't get your hopes up for it to include anything regarding EU. Same thing with a TV series. Thank God.

18. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    he has said many times there will be no more star wars movies.

but there will probibly be some kind of tv show.
    he will have little to do with it other then the over all final say in the content.

but while he is alive and it may even be in some form of legal document there will not be any more movies

by that I mean in a will or something that says even after his death no more movies

19. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    George Lucas on tonights 60 Minutes "There is no Episode 7."

By the way this is the wrong forum to talk about this.

20. malducin

Oct 23, 2001
    Well it's appropiate it we keep it in the context of production at Lucasfilm.

I've often wondered if Lucas was testing the waters so to speak by releasing the SE trilogy in 97. If the SEs had flopped in theatres would the PT have been made?

I don't think so. It was bound to be successful at some level. If anything it was to also experiment with his non-linear filmmaking which he started on the Indy TV series and Radioland Murders. Even if the SEs floped I think he would still have made the prequels.

21. DarthHerbz1025

DarthHerbz1025 Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2005
    Episodes 7,8,9 will most likely not happen, unless another direction gets permission. However, if the 7,8,9 episodes were to be made, it would be based on the books. Which books though? That is an uncertain question. The most we can look for in upcoming SW movies are KOTOR1 & KOTOR2 from another director.

22. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I don't think a sequel trilogy would be based on the books.

23. george_starwars

george_starwars Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2002
    Originally, the Star Wars saga was to be a nine episode series of movies, but even before ANH was made, George Lucas condensed them down to six movies, so there really is no more story written by George Lucas after RotJ.

24. darkjedi8906

darkjedi8906 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 15, 2004
    on 60 minutes george said no he aint doing more and he aint passing the rorch to anyone else so they can do more. its over for the movies the tv show may be diffrent.

25. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, he says that now, but we all know that George likes to changes his mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.