main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Episodes cropped too short

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by TheNewEmpire, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheNewEmpire

TheNewEmpire Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2007
    I'm not sure if anyone is feeling this, but i feel repeatedly that certain scenes in the episodes are cut a little short.
    When the camera should hold on a characters face for example, it never seems to hold long enough. I'm only talking about a second or too, but it feels like its being cut short.

I feel the time restraints are the main problem here, but they are interfering with the art. At least in my opinion.

Anyone else feeling this?

2. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Its because of the need to edit things down to twenty two minutes. The dev team makes many more shots than they actually use. Filoni talks about this in the commnentaries sometimes about how much stuff they need to cut for time constraints.

3. Mond

Mond Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 21, 2009
    Obviously, it's due to the time constraints. They're trying (not very successfully) to squeeze epic-ness into 22 minutes, which would be quite a feat if successful.

Yeah, the show need to be an hour (well, 44 minutes).

4. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I feel like many episodes wouldn't feel as rushed if they were 30 minutes. If they made it 44 minutes, many simple stories like 'The Academy' and some more political episodes would be needlessly drawn out and boring.

5. TheNewEmpire

Aug 12, 2007
    I feel the 22 minute limit is actually ruining the pacing of the episodes.

Like TPM is the show for kids or adults? It seems confused with who it is aiming to represent. I don't feel you can please adult star wars fans with 22 minute shallow stories.

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Both?

7. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    I would love TCW to be 44 minutes an episode.

It could really flesh some of the episodes out more. It would actually be useful for the current Savage arc.

8. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I agree. This last episode seemed rushed, especially the Savage Opress attack on the Jedi base on Devaron.

9. XJapanRoX

XJapanRoX Official Star Wars Artist star 2 VIP

Dec 5, 2004
    Yeah, wouldn't want episodes like "The Academy" to be boring! haha

;)

10. TheNewEmpire

Aug 12, 2007
    Neither.

Its too complicated and boring for kids, and too chaildish and immature for adults. Pixar can pull it off, but lucasfilm can't.

11. Fistofan55

Fistofan55 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2009
    I definitely noticed that "Monster" was a cropped episode. The action scenes went by a lot faster than that of the preview clips.
    In the end, I guess it is just final-episode editing. Seems right so as to not extend story for a whole hour.
    Then again, there were added scenes in "Monster" as well...

12. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Haha, yeah... I meant 'even more boring'. ;)

13. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    obviously they could have just made this arc 4 episodes and solved this problem.

somewhere in editorial and whatever else they decided against this.

so cropping the episodes isn't the problem -- it's overall editing of what they want to air

22 minutes seems short - so then lengthen it and use 22 additional minutes next week.

and THEN when you finally watch on DVD or VOD or whatever -- extend it even more with cut footage.

it's a TV show - and they clearly are working within the constraints of budget and feasibility -- seriously - this complaint is not all that merit-worthy in the end.

it is what it is.

OF COURSE we all want more of Star Wars and THE Clone Wars and whatever else in the GFFA -- unless someone says that some of it would be overkill -- which is nonsense.
    Oh, wait, someone already did.

14. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Most stories would work better as 50 minutes long episodes- many are too hasty because of this short time....

15. Executor_of_Order66

Executor_of_Order66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2009
    I understand the time limit issue but what they should do is add content to the DVD's. I would pay more for the season boxsets if they had longer episodes even if they where longer by just a minute. Just extending some scenes would make this show sooo much better.

16. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    My point exactly.
    We all want 1 more minute.
    Then we want 2 more minutes.

Then we want 50 minute episodes.
    Then 51...

17. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Well, Season 1 gave us extended episodes on the boxset... and Filoni talks of these removed scenes in episodes he currently makes, so here's hoping Season 3's boxset returns to the tradition of making more extended episodes!

Personally, I'm hoping they offer the option to watch the Nightsisters trilogy as a single "film" again. That was clearly the way it was meant to be seen.

18. TheNewEmpire

Aug 12, 2007
    The episodes do feel too rushed though. The pacing is far too fast.
    The stories are halmed by this rush editing demanded by the 22 minute limit.

It would be better to include less, but dwell more on a few scenes rather than have many short rushed ones i think...

19. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    almost every episode no matter how good or bad feels rushed. they can make the show be 30 min if they really wanted. they just wont.

20. TheNewEmpire

Aug 12, 2007
    I feel an extra 10 minutes would help a lot.

21. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    That is WAY too long for most storylines. That's more than twice as long!

Just imagine 'The Academy' or 'Evil Plans' lasting 50 minutes... BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORIIIIIIIIIIIIING

Boring enough as it is, right?

I feel 30 minutes would be perfect for most episodes.

22. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    Just trying to be realistic here, but it's basically either going to be 22 minutes (half hour with commercials) or 44 minutes (hour with commercials). Although I have seen Cartoon Network do 15-minute intervals instead of half hour so maybe I'm full of crap.

23. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    It could change networks and go for the uninterrupted half-hour.

And for whoever saif that The Academy would be boring IF it was streched over 44 minutes: [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

24. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Now, now, I came back and said it would be even more boring. [face_not_talking]

RTFT! :p

25. Executor_of_Order66

Executor_of_Order66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2009
    No you missed my point. I will give you an example. In Lethal Trackdown there was more lines written for mace and boba at the end. They could on the DVD's add in to the final cut what they could not have put into 22 minutes. Of course maybe the writing should be better to fit into a 22 minute frame, but then again no matter how much they try sometimes stories run over that time by a little bit. Have the writers write within a 22 minute frame but if it makes the story better add a minute onto the DVD's. There's no reason why this should spin out of control of wanting 50 minutes like you say. Stick with 22 minutes for television and make it final on the DVD box set. Worked for season 1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.