main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episodes VIII and IX get tentative release dates

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ahsoka's Tano, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
  2. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    That's what they've been saying all along, actually. Considering that principal photography for TFA took place a year and a half before its release, I'd say it's definitely doable. You can count on preproduction already being underway.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  3. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Moving to The Force Awakens: Spoilers Allowed forum from Saga

CoolyFett likes this.
  4. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    I'm sure it's all mapped out. Hopefully they'll have no issues meeting their deadlines.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  5. David_Skywalker01

David_Skywalker01 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2006
    I predict they won't be able to keep up this schedule. TFA has taken 3 years.

6. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    This is ANCIENT news! Not thread worthy...

7. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    December 2017 -may not have a choice

December 2019-ultimate STUPIDITY when Thanksgiving Weekend is wide open and the Avatar finale comes out in December 2019

I guess they're fine with throwing SW under the bus! Funny, I thought they spent a LOT of money on this![face_dunno]

8. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Perfect!!! Keep the Disney Star Wars films away from summer. Im loving it.

This is so wizard. They will complete the Disney trilogy in 6 years, then Disney can bring out their own blu ray set of their 3 films. That set could be in Wal Marts rack by the summer of 2020. Great way to cash in on the 4 billion investment. Wonder how many discs the Disney Trilogy set could have? I hope the Disney Trilogy set outsells the Complete Saga set from Fox by a large margin. Only time will tell.

9. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012

Oh yea. Because Avatar sequels have a proven track record of maintaining a solid release date.

Darth Chiznuk and CoolyFett like this.
  10. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    TFA is also the first movie so of course it'd take longer than Episodes VIII and IX to make. I'm sure that having new directors for each installment will greatly speed up the process.

11. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    No third spin-off for 2020?

12. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    Us Northeasters are gonna have icy buns waitin' in dem dere lines at midnight, I reckon. /spittoon

But, I digress, because this excites me because it shows that they are cruising and believe in the product, are aware of a set schedule and are ready to shoot on these schedules. I just hope that this doesn't make parts of the movies "cookie cutter" and affect story-line. So far, from what I've seen with Rebels and such I've been ok with how things have gone and the books and comics, but I need to see more.

If TFA blows me away and what they announce at Celebration and May the Fourth this year, this could be an amazing time for us Forcers. Can't wait!

Also, we could have a new trilogy every ten years.

CoolyFett likes this.
  13. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    I would not be surprised at all (and hopeful) that they will replace the third spin off with a launch of a new trilogy that spans the early times of Yoda and the Republic. Re-launch the "Old Republic" idea if you will showcasing the last time the Sith were in power. Not quite a millennia as Mace or Ki-Adi said but close enough.

If Disney actually declares a date for Episode VIII, then maybe since Cameron has not established an exact date for Avatar 2, it would be his move. But I REALLY think they need to take on Thanksgiving weekend 2019 for Episode 9 since its free.

I'm just wondering how in hell Justice League Part 1 will possibly be finished by Thanksgiving 2017 if Dawn of Justice is coming out March 2016 (unless they are doing these back-to-back).

Any case, Episode VII will suffer due the packed 2017 schedule. Episode IX has a LOT more flexibility and Disney will capitalize on that if possible. The one thing that will help Episode VII to be somewhat competitive between JLP1 and Avi2 is if TFA is absolutely incredible and builds HIGH anticipation for Episode VIII.

14. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Wasnt production started in 2013? 2013-2019 six year im thinking. Thats a fast trilogy

15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It's insane to think that we'll have a new Star Wars movie every year for the remainder of the decade! I'm still not used to that idea but it's exciting.

Immortiss likes this.
  16. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    I would just hope that the ST doesn't follow the footsteps of the POTC trilogy.

17. Revious Nugo

Revious Nugo Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 14, 2014
    What do you mean?

18. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    The first one was great and they spent time on it. But then for POTC2 and 3 they seemed to just throw together stories that made no sense, were very disjointed and disconnected and were clearly rushed with drawn out sequences that seemed not to really go anywhere or accomplish anything to do with any haphazard storyline.

19. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    No fear, its good they are rushing them out. The more movies they make, they faster they can cash in on their own creations.

20. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    If VIII does come out in 2017 is it likely we'd see a May release date to coincide with the 40th anniversary of SW?

B99 likes this.
  21. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Like I've said elsewhere, if Avatar is around the same release time as any SW trilogy film (or Kenobi spin off), I know which film I'll be seeing and it won't have Cameron or Saldana attached to it.

22. jedilips

jedilips Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 18, 2013
    They are already hard at work on VIII, I'm sure of that. Work on IX will begin in earnest shortly after VIII is in full production mode.

There's no problem with this schedule. Lucas took too long and worked way too slowly - everyone knows that.

23. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Episode 8 = December 15 , 2017

Episode 9 = December 13 , 2019

Plenty of time & watch out James Cameron what are you going to do ?

24. jedijax

May 2, 2013
    Cameron's ego is bigger than a Death Star. He won't move once he sets a date unless it's because HE needs to be move it for his own production timetable.

I say-get Thanksgiving week and force WB to move Justice League. You think they're rushing SW films-geez look at WB's DC comics movies!

dolphin likes this.
  25. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    If I were Lucasfilm, I would NOT want to go up against Avatar 2. It's likely that the sequel will not perform as well as the first but even if it makes half of what Avatar made, that's alot of money. And, both movies are 4 quadrant films (old/young, male/female). Direct competitors. James "King of the World" Cameron will NOT move. Iger will have to blink.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.