main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episodes X thru XII "guaranteed"

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Luukeskywalker, Jul 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014

I'm not concerned about Disney milking Star Wars. I'm concerned about them running out of fresh ideas too quickly. But at least they're bringing in new writers and directors.

The Hellhammer and Redimet like this.
  2. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    That's what could keep the universe going for quite a while.
    Besides, this constant mention of "Disney" doing this and that is somewhat misguided, I think. Disney is not calling all the shots, LucasFilm is. No one addresses Marvel movies with this constant mention of Disney this or that. It should not apply to Star Wars either. At least not as often as it seems to be the case.

3. Bennihana

Bennihana Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2014
    At the same time, does Disney have the authority to "order" more movies? Like if they take a break and Disney has a few disappointments could Iger order them to whip up another trilogy?

MillenniumFalcon2015 likes this.
  4. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I think "Disney" is used so often because it's an easy shorthand to refer to this new film a year era, which is radically different to the system that yielded six live action theatrical films since 1977. Plus the core of Lucasfilm has been shaken up, with Kennedy guiding a host of creators likely all looking to set their stamp on this story in a manner that transcends mere work for hire, so the whole company is kind of in reboot mode now. There's a lot of questions to be answered. Will audiences buy into the spinoffs? Could one or more spinoffs actually succeed in a manner beyond the "numbered" episodes? Seems like almost anything is possible at this point, and all that possibility has stemmed from the initial announcement that Lucas sold his company to Disney.

5. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    ^ I do agree with that. However, there are quite a few here who use it in a derogatory sense, too. Disney will do this and Disney will do that. No mention of Lucasfilm whatsoever. That can be quite annoying. They know why they are.

TK327 likes this.
  6. MillenniumFalcon2015

MillenniumFalcon2015 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 18, 2013
    Jonipoon Jedi Grand Master over at the Knights of Ren thread suggested an excellent plot for the SST(Episodes X-XII). The Jedi and the Sith make peace and join forces to battle and defeat the Knights of Ren. The order that Kylo Ren came from. Perhaps that will be the destiny of the older Rey,Finn and Poe and perhaps their kids in the SST. Perhaps they travel to the mysterious nebula that the Knights of Ren are rumored to come from and defeat them once and for all. I hope and it would be awesome if the Knights of Ren have their own fleet of ships that will be seen perhaps in Episodes VIII and/or IX and even the SST.

7. NotaSithLord

NotaSithLord Jedi Youngling

Aug 27, 2015
    Disney has done an excellent job of managing all of these properties so far. I mean seriously, what is the evidence otherwise? I highly doubt they would green light another sequel trilogy to continue the Skywalker saga, they're not stupid. It makes more sense to explore a trilogy based on the Old Republic source material (also a rumor). You get another set of movies that are totally fresh, all without beating the dead Skywalker corpse. Share values depend on it.

Rabs likes this.
  8. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I think a trilogy set in the OR days, maybe even dealing with the origins of the Jedi and the Sith, needs to happen. Literally needs.

Rabs likes this.
  9. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I agree completely. Would be some of the best Star Wars ever seen I believe.

Krueger likes this.
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    after episode 9 I think its time to let go of the Skywalker saga and mover on to fresh ideas.

11. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Although I hope you are right (would love to see them go do OR movies), I don't entirely agree. I don't necessarily agree that it would be "stupid" to continue with the current saga. Given it could pass on to new characters (new Jedi, new Sith/evil Jedi, new droids, etc.) it would actually go on with more variation and freshness than Batman, any of the Avengers characters, Bond, etc.; those movies all have the same hero and many of the same side characters movie after movie; and those things are all still making money; not necessarily "stupid" to continue them. The current characters could appear and pass on everything to the new generation much as the big 3 are doing in the ST.

I seriously doubt they will stop with the current saga, especially if the public really connects with the new generation of heroes, and the coming 3 episodes are really a smash. They could already have gone in that directions (OR) instead of doing Anthology, but they are sticking close to what they already know is a commercial success, that being the old saga (making stories that stick very closely with the old, happening in the same time frame and using many of the same characters).

Creatively speaking, I think OR movies which totally use new characters would be fascinating and refreshing, you make good sense there. Where we disagree is in what real world decisions they will make. They will IMO not stop a successful story and throw everything in it out for something totally new that's popularity is a wild card. I think "share values" depend more on sticking with what is known to reliably be commercially successful; that is the usual approach. That is true in every form of commercial entertainment and popular culture; the corporate end of it sees something that sells well and wants it repeated as much as possible.

If the ST were to really bog down commercially in episodes 8 and 9, I think something like that would be much more likely, but my prediction would be that it doesn't happen. Who knows though, it's all speculation at this point.

12. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    This doesn't make me happy. I don't want them to keep on flogging it until the quality is so ***** that no one cares anymore.

Anyway.. wasn't the the "Saga" business going to be 9 films in total?

13. Jorus C'Baoth 2882

Jorus C'Baoth 2882 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 18, 2015
    As long as it's not incredibly hammy (Dawn of the Jedi I'm looking at you), I wouldn't mind seeing a trilogy exploring the origins of the Jedi and the Sith. OR stuff would be cool too.

14. Jorus C'Baoth 2882

Jorus C'Baoth 2882 Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 18, 2015
    While I'm not in total agreement about them not revisiting the Skywalker Saga, I'm with you that Star Wars seems to be in competent hands thus far. And this is coming from a guy who initially believed Disney would destroy Star Wars and gut the EU (Well, that last part might've happened a little bit, but I think we can all pretty much agree that we can live without stuff like the Callista Trilogy and the Crystal Star ;)).

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Lucas had plans for 12 at one point.

16. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    The Bond series regularly takes hiatuses. People will be wild for it for a few years, and they churn out the movies, then it falls out of style... people think its getting too corny... and it will go away for 8 years.

I can see signs that people are getting a bit meh on the Marvel movies. They might make the next batch, finish the larger storyline, and put them to sleep for a bit.

I fully expect that with Star Wars too. By the time we've got these 6 movies done, we might want more or it might be enough for the moment. Put 'em to sleep for a few years. The hardcore fans can rumble along with books and comics and TV cartoons for a while, as they have before.

17. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I think we will get 10-12 after a few years of a break.

12 seems kind of complete to me as the Skywalker Saga (imagine Rey communing with Force Ghost Luke at the end of 12 and walking off alone to find new Jedi!...also: imagine the 12-Disc box sets ha ha!)

By the end of 9 I'm guessing we will love these new characters and be completely hungry for more of their stories. It's possible that 10-12 will be necessary to complete the arc of Luke's complete legacy. Seems like he'll be alive through 9. Makes sense for him to die in battle or become one with the Force in 10, and appear to Rey as a ghost in 11 and 12.

I'd also like to see Kylo captured and imprisoned at the end of 9 instead of killed, leaving open the possibility of a Hannibal Lector like appearance in 10-12, a "prison" escape or perhaps while incarcerated he actually changes and turns to the light or at least grey...ooooh but can he be trusted???

18. MillenniumFalcon2015

Aug 18, 2013
    I love that idea Rodie! It would be cool to see Mark Hamill to play Luke well into the SST or at least Episode X. I still think Episode 10 should come out in 2021 or 2022. But I'll settle for it to come out in 2025 o 2027.

Rodie likes this.
  19. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014

Episode X - 2027 - The 50th Anniversary of Star Wars, and a nice 8 year gap after Episode 9 to let the saga breath and build up hype. BOOK IT!

20. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015

even then wasn't that nine films + three spinoffs (one about just wookies, one just droids, etc.)?

I think keeping it at nine films with anthology films is pretty similar to that.

StoneRiver likes this.
  21. Gerdschroder

Gerdschroder Jedi Youngling

Oct 5, 2014
    Hopefully Boyega and Lupita and Daisy and Luke's son (if it's true that Daisy is not related to the Skywalkers)

22. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014

Probably would not need Isaac for 10-12, as he seems to be more of the Han Solo type role and could be replaced by the next "hot shot" pilot type in the 10-12 films...Seems like you could do something cool just having Maz, Rey and Finn in mentor roles with Luke cameos, and 2-3 new young leads driving the story.

23. MillenniumFalcon2015

Aug 18, 2013
    I wonder if the new female lead that will be in Episode VIII and likely in Episode IX will also be the female lead of Episodes X-XII if she's rumored to be Han Solo's daughter. Or unless she becomes the female Sith of Episode VIII and Rey has to defeat her in Episode IX and she becomes the hero of Episodes X-XII. I suspect it could be vice versa and that Rey could turn to dark side at the climax of Episode VIII and is the villian of Episode IX and this new female defeats her and then she has her own adventures and explorations of the galaxy fighting the remnants of the First Order or another Imperial Faction the Second Order in Episodes X-XII?? The new female lead could perhaps take on the Knights of Ren in Episode XII. This would be similar to what the ST was originally going to be about Luke's adventures as a Jedi and then confronting the Emporer in Episode IX.

Personally I hope Olivia Cooke gets the part of the female lead in Episode VIII. She has very beautiful big brown eyes blue.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  24. MillenniumFalcon2015

Aug 18, 2013
    I know this is far away and Episode X isn't likely to come out till 2025 or 2021 at the earliest. But will there still be Star Destroyers or another Imperial Faction in Episodes 10-12? Since there may be new types of starships like Poe Dameron's X-Wing or Kylo Ren's shuttle or even the mysterious superweapon ship that Leia has called the Sledgehammer in the ST. What type of ships can we expect to see in the SST when it comes out. Will we see even more advanced types of X-Wings,Star Destroyers and TIE fighters with faster hyperdrives then in the ST? Will we see the Sith or the Knights of Ren have their own fleet of warships and Star Destroyers throughout the ST in Episodes VIII and IX or even Episodes X-XII? I suspect that maybe perhaps the new ST heroes will battle the Knights of Ren and their possible awsome armada of warships and starfighters in Episodes 10-12. I figure that if the Knights of Ren are a new powerful cult that worships Darth Vader. They could have their own armada of various types of warships and starfighters similar to the Lost Tribe of the Sith in the Fate of the Jedi book series. And it would make them a worthy opponent to the Jedi and the Resistance/Republic and an great ally to the First Order and other Imperial Factions that might come after it in the SST.

Your average TIE fighters don't have hyperdrives, But some advanced ones like Darth Vader's TIE advanced x1,the TIE Hunter and the TIE Defender do have hyperdrives. If the space battles are going to be awesome in TFA and Episodes VIII and IX with the new ships and advanced versions of Star Destroyers,X-Wing and TIE fighters. We should wait till the SST to see even more spectacular space battles with even more advanced ships. It would be fun if we could see the other types of Star Destroyers we have seen in the EU in the ST and beyond to the SST like Inderdictor Cruisers that suck other starships of Hyperspace or Soverign or Eclipse-class Star Destroyers or even E-Wings and Skipray Blastboats and Carrack-Class Cruisers.

25. MillenniumFalcon2015

Aug 18, 2013
    The Dark Nest Crisis would be the perfect conflict for Episodes X-XII. Because it deals with the Jedi responding to a call from the Unknown Regions. And it later results in the Chiss-Killik Boarder War later climaxing into the Swarm War. Where the Galactic Alliance Armada and a fleet of Jedi Starfighters along with a fleet of Chiss Star Destroyers battle the invading species the Killiks in the UR in some awesome space battles. A subplot could also involve the Knights of Ren taking part in this conflict with their own armada of ships and are finally defeated. Rey and Finn who would then be older Jedi Masters could take part in this conflict and either one or both them become one with the Force in the final conflict in Episode XII and pass on the torch to the next generation of heroes who will become the lead heroes of Episodes XIII-XV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.