main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episodes X thru XII "guaranteed"

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Luukeskywalker, Jul 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    15 years after IX doesn't mean there'll be a X.

2. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Who knows. But it sounds like we're looking at 15 more Star Wars movies. 15!!! Anyone predicting that in 2011 would have been seen as a little crazy.

DARTH_BELO and themoth like this.
  3. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Yeah, and it's glorious. They could feasibly overtake the Bond series in number of films released as well eventually, given the Bond franchise only releases a film every so often these days.

4. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I'd say that we're getting more Han Solo films for sure, the only reason we wouldn't is if the first one doesn't do well at the box office. They can make Solo adventures in the style of Indiana Jones for the next 10 years.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  5. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016

Episodes keep the interest in Stories alive especially overseas where Star Wars isn't as big as some other franchises (TFA broke out but RO did average 500M range business and none of Prequels broke that number while Harry Potter movies did 600M per movie). Spin-offs are never going to be as big as Episodes especially if they keep them in the past timeline. So I'd say fourth trilogy is a given and with ST characters, who didn't have a chance to carry ST properly due to prominence of OT characters.

MillenniumFalcon2015 likes this.
  6. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012
    "That's not true, that's impossible"

Disney will make movies until peeps stop going. Its called capitalism and Disney's 1st obligation is their shareholders not Star Wars fans. I personally am fine with all of it. Seriously... Was Michael Jordan any less great because he spent time as a Wizard.

7. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    There will almost certainly be a EP10 , 11 & 12 cause it seems you put an EP number besides a Star Wars movie & it does twice the Box office of a spin off & I think that trend will continue......

MillenniumFalcon2015 likes this.
  8. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Not a given. And there'll be the challenge of trying to make ordinal soriesthat fit in with the canon. There isn't that challenge with spinoffs. They can go Marvel and have 2-3 spin offs a year. With spin offs there fertile field.

9. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    This is how I imagine Bob Iger's home office:
    Iger was otherwise tight-lipped about Episode 8, saying that he sometimes reviews dailies "in my laptop in bed under the covers" to keep the project secret from his own teenage boys.
    [​IMG]

10. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    What are the chances that Episode 10 introduces a whole new cast?

11. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    A few thoughts: I don't think we're going to see the annual release cycle maintained in perpetuity. I think at some point they'll take a break for a year or two; there's really no harm in doing that and it prevents brand dilution. Disney spent $4 billion on Star Wars and they rehabilitated its image and reputation in the eyes of many and certainly in the eyes of the general public. They're riding a wave of goodwill and positivity here that I don't think they're going to want to run that into the ground anytime soon. This isn't like Marvel where there are decades upon decades of stories to mine and dozens of diverse characters to make films about; everything here is being built from scratch upon the foundation of six movies, and whereas all the Marvel films fall under the wider purview of being "superhero movies," Star Wars is a more distinct and singular brand. One Star Wars film a year is going to feel like more than three Marvel films a year.

Apart from that, I don't think the tradeoff cycle of Saga/standalone/Saga/standalone/etc/etc is going to be sustained past 2020. As in, I don't think they're going to jump straight into Episode X; I actually think 2021 may very well be an off year, if they end up taking one. They're certainly not going to stop making trilogies, because that's their bread-and-butter and they generate more excitement than standalone films on basic virtue. With a standalone film, you're building hype for a singular movie. With a trilogy, people are already talking about where the second and third film are going to go before they've even seen the first. But I think jumping straight into Episodes X, XI, and XII with this current cast of characters dilutes the films. For one thing, you completely lose the generational aspect of the series, and for another, it cheapens the conflict of the current trilogy.

I remain a proponent of the next trilogy either being set in the distant past or the far future, because not only does that avoid the issues I've talked about, it also allows for completely new characters and things to be introduced into the series, diversifying its iconography instead of simply relying upon that which we're familiar with. That's worked thus far, with The Force Awakens and to a greater extent with Rogue One, but at a certain point relying upon that will yield diminishing returns. It's going to be hard to make Episodes X-XII look at feel too different from VII-IX if they're set shortly afterwards and feature the same characters.

"It's high. It's very high."

12. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I could also see them taking a year off before jumping into another trilogy. If they're going to take a break, it's seems like the time to do it would be after wrapping up the ST.

I've said it before but if Ep. 10 starts up and it's a rehash of the same Empire vs. Rebels, Skywalkers vs. Skywalkers dynamic we've seen before it could make the saga feel a little stale and redundant. That said a movie about Rey's mom could be cool. I'm betting we're going to find out in TLJ that she's already dead so any Rey Momma movie would have to be a prequel set presumably before she even met Luke. That could be cool? I don't know. It's too hypothetical to say.

The anthology films seem to be committed to being prequels to the saga films but I imagine that at some point they'll get around to telling the story of the first Jedi and/or the first Sith and it seems like if they're going to tell that story it would be part of the saga story line rather than the standalone anthology films. Actually I take that back. Calling a movie Star Wars Episode X: The First Jedi might come across as unintentionally silly. It's the tenth movie...but the first Jedi story? Would that fly?

13. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    PymParticles likes this.
  14. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I love the sweet taste of validation in the afternoon.

15. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    not sure what you mean?[face_dunno]

16. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I've been talking about them taking a hiatus to build demand for about a year or so now, and I'm usually met with some variation off, "Shut up they're making a movie every year forever." :p

starocean90 likes this.
  17. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    15 SW films-heck, even 10 if it's true they won't be doing one every year as mentioned, that's a lot. I mean, think about the amount of time the Harry Potter series covered-that was 8 films, paced at every 18 months. Or the MCU-which is now at what? 12 films? And it began nine years ago-and they release about two films a year!

If this whole 10-15 film thing ends up being true (and I mean, why wouldn't it be), the possibilities of all the era/characters/stories they could cover is hard to wrap one's mind around!!

I wouldn't mind seeing a X-XII at all. The way that the ST seems to be shaping up so far based on what little we know, I'd love to see a more fleshed out story, taking place over years and covering five more episodes. After that though, let's lay the Skywalkers to rest, once and for all IMO. Focus on completely new characters, in a completely new era!

JediLight likes this.
  18. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I think the sequel trilogy was sort of necessary to close out the Big 3 character arcs. I'd be down with a 5 -10 year break (real-time and Star Wars timeline) between Skywalker trilogies , as long as we get a couple of spin-offs mixed in there. I like the ideas of fast forwarding 100 years or whatever, but it's not necessary unless they start making Terminator like duds.

19. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    we don't really know how accurate it is. For one they talk about
    -Kenobi movie
    -Fett
    -romance movie

none of these things are coming out until after 2019. And then the possibility that any of the Anthology movies could get sequels. RO and the romance don't seem to make sense. But Kenobi, Fett/Bounty Hunters, Han Solo all could end up having continuation it's all about reception and $$$.

There could be other movies that come out of nowhere and get made. Last week Knoll stated that he has another SW movie that he hopes to pitch to KK. These movies would fit until SST comes out.

Besides didn't Iger talk about SW movies for the next 15 years???

20. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    I'm a little confused. They talk about taking a break to build up a thirst for more Star Wars films but they also talk about how there are three new anthology films more or less in the pipeline. When would this break be? Presumably we get Obi-Wan Kenobi in 2020 and then Boba Fett in 2021, and the YA Star Wars movie in 2022 and then they take a break before coming back with a fourth trilogy?

21. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    That's what I am thinking (if this scoop is even true).

22. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    well Pomojema stated that a break would be after the 2024 movie from the sounds of things.

and again who knows how long a break would even last.

23. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Or it starts in 2024 after the 2023 movie? It wasn't super clearly phrased, but that's how it read to me. I'd expect a solid five year break, but that's a gut feeling.

24. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    he said it's after the 2024 film.
    and then they announce in 2027 the 50th anniversary, the SST.;)

but still Iger talked about 15 years and plans can easily changed nothing is set in stone.

25. The Regular Mustache

Dec 22, 2015
    To be honest if these movie ideas are true I might be ready for a break before the break. I'm not chomping at the bit for a movie about Kenobi, or Boba (I stood around for three movies and got eaten by a hole in the ground) Fett, or a YA Star Wars flick. Then again I wasn't too amped on Rogue One before it came out and that ended up being pretty good.

PymParticles and starocean90 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.