main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episodes X thru XII "guaranteed"

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Luukeskywalker, Jul 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    That or if they can find a way for a Lando cameo in Episode 9, I like the idea of Lando and Chewie going off together in the Falcon.

Ubraniff Zalkaz and Darth Smurf like this.
  2. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Luke landing on Dagobah, the Rogue One crew crashing on Eadu, Han and Chewie smashing the Falcon through the forest on SKB, Anakin and the changeling crashing into the Coruscanti nightlife, Anakin/Obi-Wan and Palpatine crashing Grievous's ship on Coruscant, and little Anakin landing the Naboo starfighter in the Trade Federation droid control ship. So, we've seen quite a bit of that.

Rodie and GregMcP like this.
  3. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I felt a disturbance in the Force when in another thread someone said Lucasfilm had announced a 4th trilogy. I did some research and found this nonsense.

https://www.google.co.jp/amp/s/www....-The-Last-Jedi-Lucasfilm-Kathleen-Kennedy/amp

Ambiguous, perhaps contradictory quotes of KK in Fandango, the original source I can't find. And this article is from the Daily Express with a link to unproven claims in an earlier DE article. "Movies past 9" doesn't mean a new trilogy. She said they're not even talking about a new trilogy.

Unimpressive! Most unimpressive!

4. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Luke crashing his snowspeeder, which is probably the most visceral crash. We're still looking over Luke's shoulder when it hits the ground.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  5. MillenniumFalcon2015

MillenniumFalcon2015 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 18, 2013
    There's supposed to be a gap between the ST and the Fourth Trilogy acoording to the article that was referenced and all the way back to the ScreenRant Post-Episode 9 plan report about a fourth trilogy in the Skywalker saga and that it mentioned a new generation of heroes after Rey,Finn and Poe. So a Fourth Trilogy will happen sometime in the future.

starocean90 likes this.
  6. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Darn! How did I forget that? Star Wars card revoked for the weekend.

7. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    You mean "may" happen. No evidence it will.

MillenniumFalcon2015 likes this.
  8. MillenniumFalcon2015

Aug 18, 2013
    Could Episode IX end in a similar way to TESB with Rey,Finn and Poe heading to the Unknown Regions in the Falcon to search for the source of the dark side of the force or a an emerging threat which will turn out to be a rising Knights of Ren with thousands of knights hiding there? Setting the stage for Episode X coming 2025? That make a perfect ending for the ST with the New Jedi Order waving goodbye to Rey and co. heading into the UR searching for new threats to the galaxy like a smaller version of Outbound Flight perhaps. Threats that will appear in the Fourth Trilogy of X-XII.

9. MillenniumFalcon2015

Aug 18, 2013
    No one has responded to my idea of Episode IX ending like TESB with Rey,Finn and Poe taking off in the Falcon to the UR searching for the source of the dark side in the UR which could feature multiple villians to emerge in Episodes X-XII which could feature an emerging army of the Knights of Ren or anybody else. This would make the perfect Episode IX ending and perfect plot for Episodes X-XII.

10. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I think having the trilogy end on a cliffhanger would be freaking abysmal. That's basically telling the audience, "We know we got you invested in a three-movie arc, BUT THERE'S MORE" when they expected a satisfying conclusion. I think doing "the continuing adventures of..." is the surest and quickest way to drain interest in this series. Doing a new trilogy every few years with a new cast to invest in, who have clear arcs with a beginning, middle, and end will keep it alive. Setting these new trilogies in different timelines is also a boon, as it allows for fresh differences in production design without feeling like the GFFA drastically changed from the top down to the nuts and bolts in a few decades. Just don't call them X, XI, or XII. Eventually it gets ridiculous to have a Stat Wars Episode XXIV, even if that's simply relegated to the opening crawl.

Immortiss likes this.
  11. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Given that Kennedy has stated that plans for saga films beyond Episode IX are undecided, the implication is that the the sequel trilogy won't have an open ended conclusion.

I honestly prefer a trilogy of trilogies (PT/OT/ST) rather than a quadrilogy or more. Go with anthology films from there on out. Rogue One proved that future Star Wars films focused on original characters and narratives can be successful.

12. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    I would love for Episode IX to end like ROTS, with the bad guys basically winning but glimmers of hope for the good guys, then they immediately announce a new trilogy to continue the story.

13. LastJediKnight

LastJediKnight Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2015

Because it doesn't make sense?

Episode 9 ends one of two ways. Either the Light wins and they reboot this with 10, or the Dark wins at the end of 9 and Episode 10-12 is then about how the Light comes back to win out.

The latter with 10-12 keeps the main cast stable for 3 more movies. Rebooting with 10 involves trying to get a new cast over.

Exactly which would you bet a multi-billion dollar franchise on? I'm going with... Dark Wins at the end of 9 so we can have the main cast for 3 more movies.

In theory.. you should have a showdown at the end of 9 with the particulars(Snoke/Rey/Ren/Holdo with Finn/Poe providing cover). Rey kills Snoke, splitting the spirit of The Emperor from Snoke and freeing it to go fully into Ren and take him over. Ren destroys Rey. Finn/Poe, barely get her out of there alive, but she loses most of her body in the process... replaced by biomechanical prosthetics.

They then go on the run(what Finn originally wanted to do), while its revealed they've now become the most wanted people in the galaxy. With Snoke dead, the Emperor and Holdo cave The First Order on paper to Holdo's Resistance(which she takes control of in 8), take control of the Republic, and blame Rachel Skywalker, daughter of Darth Vader, for being the secret head of the now destroyed The First Order and responsible for billions dead.

End of 9.

Tune in for 10-12 to see how they actually overcome the odds. beat Kylo Ren(aka The Emperor), and free the Galaxy from the clutches of Evil DUN DUH DUH.

But 9 should in no way end on a traditional cliffhanger. Either light wins or dark wins. Choose.

14. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014

I was thinking more of a traditional POV in a small pod/capsule, real shaky and from Chewie's perspective, but yeah we've seen lots of crashes.

No way Episode 9 ends with the First Order winning. Maybe a dark side Kylo survives though and is "out there somewhere" as a dangling thread for a possible run as the big bad in 10-12, but I think they Rey needs to be a full-fledged Jedi and they need to defeat Snoke and decimate the First Order by the end of 9.

If 10-12 happens I'd like it to skip head 5-10 years, and the New Republic and early beginnings of a new Jedi Academy to be already established, and the main antagonists are like terrorists, and very different visually and ideologically from the FO and the Empire. No more stormtroopers and TIE fighters. The rebels are the bad guys in 10-12, and Rey, Finn and Poe, with Luke's help, have to defend the New Republic. Maybe Kylo returns to throw a big wrench in the works or tries to help Rey but can't be trusted.

15. LastJediKnight

Dec 19, 2015
    You are correct. Your mistake is in thinking The First Order was ever meant to win. Like most populist movements, its simply going to turn out to be a tool of the oligarchy to seize power from the established order. It was never meant to win.

In theory, In a lot of ways, this will be the reverse of Dooku/Empire. Rather than The First Order taking over the Republic, they'll simply join the Republic and crater The First Order on paper, making it appear that they have prevented a Second Empire from seizing power and are actually 'the good guys'. As long as you can keep the names behind it fairly anonymous, and have a patsy to take the fall(Rachel), you can dumptruck the blame on others while you gleefully seize power and make it look like you've saved the galaxy.

But this was never meant to be a straight-up fight. There are better ways to take power than that, and The Emperor knows them all :>.

16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    This is my preference as well; Episode IX completes the Sequel Trilogy and the Saga and the numbered episodes. Then the movies going forward are only Anthology spin-offs.

ewoksimon and Gigoran Monk like this.
  17. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I prefer that we move onto what would be other very compelling eras of the mythos <cough>awayfromsolosandskywalkers</cough>

18. LastJediKnight

Dec 19, 2015
    I prefer thinking of them as two sets of six films. Two trilogies Lucas, Two trilogies Disney.

I'm also a firm advocate of ending it @ 12. Anything past that throws off the Balance of the Saga. But ending it at 9 just seems like rushing it for people who really want to make sure they live to see the end of the Saga. It certainly wouldn't be for story reasons as that's pretty open right now.

MillenniumFalcon2015 and TheBBP like this.
  19. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    It does seem a bit unbalanced that we have one trilogy about one generation of heroes and another trilogy dedicated to a transition from the old to the new, but not one that fully encompasses the next generation.

20. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, let's suggest that people who have spent a LOT of time living with these movies and thinking about them on a daily basis are really just being greedy / selfish when they say they think the Saga should end with the ST. :p

TheBBP likes this.
  21. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

I'm torn, because I want this too, but I also want more than just three movies of Rey, Finn, Poe, etc.

22. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Yeah. I'd also love the next trilogy to be a very different one, but I'd rather they jettison the "two sides" of galactic conflict and present a slightly more complex picture. I'd find it more interesting if that galactic society is far more fragmented than it was under the past Republics, ala the Dark Ages of Europe. There could be three or four competing major power centers (equivalents of the Frankish Kingdoms, the Vatican, the Holy Roman Empire and Byzantium, for example), just to make sure general audiences could follow along, but underneath that, lots of smaller, neutral governments with shifting alliances, etc., and the Jedi also, perhaps, being distributed and decentralized - serving local lords and governments, and sometimes coming into conflict with each other (as Catholic priests serving competing monarchs in the Early and Late Middle Ages would have). That's the kind of set up that could generate hundreds of great stories across films, TV and lots of other media.

One can hope!

23. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    I wouldn't want X, XI, and XII to be made unless they were an organic and meaningful continuation. Episodes VII, VIII and IX were outlined by Lucas when he sold them to Disney, so the sequel trilogy had an intended trajectory from the start. The last thing I want is more saga films simply for the sake of making them.

EHT likes this.
  24. LastJediKnight

Dec 19, 2015

Nothing is ever organic when it comes to 200-250 million $ budgets with thousands of people working on continuing a story that originally ended at Episode 6. Hopefully the artificial continuation is done well enough that they are accepted as a worthy movies in the saga.

But at the end of the day... its all just moviemaking.

Also, Lucas provided ideas for 7-9 in order to help sell the IP. Those were pretty much completely discarded by Disney, fairly soon after it was bought.

25. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    Sure, Lucasfilm discarded Lucas' treatments, but I'm fairly certain that the trajectory of the sequel trilogy was also mapped out as TFA was being prepared. That is to say, it's not as if the filmmakers set things up in TFA without having an idea of how the story would broadly resolve by Episode IX.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.