main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episodes X thru XII "guaranteed"

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Luukeskywalker, Jul 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    And endless serial with no true end!

That's what I always dreamt Star Wars would be! I want to some day go to the theater to watch Star Wars Episode XXIII!

2. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015

1st part: that's exactly what the st is lol do we need six films doing that?
    2nd part: that's literally just the ot/pt with new characters inserted.

this is what I mean by redundant. idk what to think of the anthology yet but I'm glad it exists for the sake of exploring new star wars concepts without dragging the saga on with this type of stuff.

StoneRiver likes this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Y'know what's gonna be amusing, assuming there is the decades long fictional universe gap between IX and X, that they waited 30 years for Fisher, Ford & Hamill to age into their characters but when Episode X comes out they'll just recast Boyega, Ridley & Isacc with old people.

4. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I am not sure they will recast the actors to be old. I think they are going to continue the ST with a direct sequel trilogy.

5. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    For sure. The adventures will likely pick up not long after they left off. That long gap was Lucas's thing; I'm sure Disney will do it differently. SW has transformed into an ongoing thing rather than intermittent.

6. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    We can already see Disney's tendency of shrinking the gaps. Before there used to be a three year interval between the releases of each episode in a trilogy. Now its only going to be two years. So the Sequel Sequel Trilogy will probably be made 5-6 years after Ep IX.

7. Jedi with a TARDIS

Jedi with a TARDIS Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 4, 2013

Just some gentle ribbing with Fantasia :)

You got my feelings exactly. Star Wars shouldn't be stuck with Supernatural Syndrome and go on longer than it should. Give it the good ending it rightfully deserves!

StoneRiver likes this.
  8. MillenniumFalcon2015

MillenniumFalcon2015 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 18, 2013
    I think Episodes X-XII might makeup for what Episodes VII-IX was supposed to do was to feature Luke as a middle aged Jedi Knight in his 30 and 40s. But since now Mark Hamill is too old now to be Luke in his 30 and 40s perhaps the ST will feature Rey as an apprentice under Luke and becomes a full fledged Jedi Knight by Episode IX similar to when Luke became a full fledged Jedi by ROTJ(Episode VI) and Episodes X-XII will feature her adventures as a Jedi in her 30s. So Episodes X-XII seem to be an almost definite given to be made and released sometime either eariler or sometime later in the 2020s. But of course I hope Episode X comes out May 2021.

9. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    I don't follow you. My point was having too much Star Wars might not be a good thing. Cast diversity has nothing in common with that.

10. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I understood what you were saying, I just disagree with it. You see the saga as some kind of main trunk that will feed all the other kinds of paraphernalia branches that make up the Star Wars tree. It appears that way now, because the Saga is currently the most popular Star Wars thing. However, they are putting just as much effort into finding great people for the anthologies as they are for the saga films. There's no reason to think that some anthology films won't be just as popular, if not more so, than the saga films. If that's the case, they'll be just as much part of that "spring" as the saga films and movies with connections to characters from, say, Rogue One, would be just as likely. The connections are just to whatever is wildly popular. There's every chance in the world the anthologies will be as wildly popular as the main saga. Maybe not the OT, but certainly any extension of the saga put out by the same company.

The big difference between the saga and other series is the single narrative. The ST is already shaky in the pliability department because of the strong sense of finality to ROTJ. However, because ROTJ did leave a few loose threads when viewed from the perspective of the whole narrative thus far (only one force user left in the galaxy, giant power vacuum, undeveloped New Republic), there is room left open for a tidy conclusion trilogy. Once the story comes full circle and the new, better way of the galaxy is established, the pliability of it's continuance treads very close to zero. Any further adventures would either begin a new narrative or be anticlimactic to the previous one, and the sense of finality is diluted. If you begin a new narrative (which seems like the more logical choice), it would be rather silly to call it Episode X. If it's anticlimactic, what's the point?

. It could, but that doesn't make it more likely than not. There's a rumor of an Obi-Wan trilogy spreading around. That has no less odds than X-XII with regards to what Iger was taking about.

Not hiding at all from reality. The reality is likely to be that Disney will wait to see what's the most popular and base decisions on that. Given that they are making equal strides in the both the saga and anthologies, it's anyone's guess at this point as to what will fit the bill. The single narrative of the saga works against it's continuance. I'm all for starting a new Episode I of a new saga, whether that's with older ST characters or not.

StoneRiver likes this.
  11. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014
    The commonality lies with those people who think it has to be one or the other when it can be both. We can get a lot of great Star Wars just like we can have diverse Star Wars casts in excellent films.

12. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    One accidental consequence of making the Prequels is that it gave Mark, Harrison and Carrie the time to grow old.
    Which turned each trilogy into a generational story. The parents of, the children of....

Maybe the next trilogy should be a super prequel. The Knights... Or just head off with a new story.
    Let Daisy Ridley go off for a couple of decades before calling her back.

13. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Of you go by interviews in the early 80's, Lucas had always planned the trilogies to be generational.

14. MillenniumFalcon2015

Aug 18, 2013
    I think Episodes X-XII will released and they will be but when will it be? I have 3 options:

Episode X 2021 Episode X 2023 Episode X 2025 Episode X 2027
    Episodes XI 2023 Episode XI 2025 Episode XI 2027 Episode XI 2029
    Episode XII 2025 Episode XII 2027 Episode XII 2029 Episode XII 2031

I hope for the earlier 2021/2023/2025. I want to see Episodes X-XII the SST ASAP.

dekaneas likes this.
  15. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I do not want to see them ASAP. Considering they're not directly advertising The Force Awakens as Episode VII, despite the fact that it absolutely is, I don't think there would be great harm in setting a new trilogy in the far-flung future or distant past, as opposed to a literal Episode X. If there is an Episode X, I don't want it immediately. This trilogy that we haven't even seen the opening chapter of needs to stand on its own as a story first and foremost, unless they outright ditch the notion of trilogies.

Trebor Sabreon and TK327 like this.
  16. Luminous Beings Are We

Jun 10, 2014

I wonder if fans in general will want six straight episodes every other year rather than a break in the middle to explore a trilogy in a different era.

17. MillenniumFalcon2015

Aug 18, 2013
    I would love six straight every other year because Star Wars is the best franchise ever. Who doesn't want to see Episodes X-XII ASAP after the ST? How about Gabriel at Twitter who inspired this thread in the first place? Or how about you Luuke Skywalker who started this thread in the first place?

18. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I think most would prefer a break. While I hate to admit it since Star Wats is, like, my favorite thing, there's a distinct danger of the general audience getting franchise fatigue if they're not careful. Hell, even fans could get a bit worn out if there's too much too fast. The easiest way to avoid that, other than producing films that are both good and creatively fresh, is to pace themselves after a stretch of consistsnt releases and maybe take a short break, to give themselves and audiences a bit of a breather. In the meantime, I think one film a year will allow them to maintain that goal of quality over quantity more easily than Marvel Studios, who's bumping up releases from two to three films a year, but still. It's not like people will forget Star Wars exists if there aren't any movies for fives years.

19. Luminous Beings Are We

Jun 10, 2014

Personally, I would prefer to be left begging for more at the end of IX while we took a break to explore a KOTOR-inspired trilogy. That would build up fan anticipation for X's release in 2027, which would also be the 50th anniversary of Star Wars.

MillenniumFalcon2015 likes this.
  20. MillenniumFalcon2015

Aug 18, 2013
    I hope that Episode X should come out at least in 2025 then Episode XI in 2027 the 50th anniversary of SW and Episode XII in 2029. This would be logical beacuse it would be similar to the ST's release schedule:Episode VII TFA in 2015/Episode VIII in 2017 the 40th anniversary and Episode IX in 2019. Doesn't anybody want to see the SST ASAP besides me? I want to see the SST ASAP because I want to see what the GFFA will be like when the OT3 are long gone and how Rey,Finn and Poe are saving the galaxy now that Luke and co. are long dead. The only question who would the enemy be? The remnants of the First Order or an invasion from the Unknown Regions or somewhere beyond the GFFA. I'd prefer the latter.

21. Luminous Beings Are We

Jun 10, 2014

Funny how you talk about the OT cast being "long dead" when you want to immediately follow IX with X. :p Just another reason, IMHO, why a 2027 release date works better for X than 2021. My suggestion places 8 years between the two episodes.

Now, regarding the timing of release dates. If Disney sticks with the schedule of putting out one film a year, and the primary years are kept for trilogy films, then years 2021, 2023 and 2025 are going to be occupied by another trilogy. If that doesn't turn out to be X-XII, then the earliest available year for X's release is 2027:

2015 - TFA
    2017 - VIII
    2019 - IX

2021 - KOTOR 1
    2023 - KOTOR 2
    2025- KOTOR 3

2027 - X
    2029 - XI
    2031 - XII

22. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Looking forward to the Star Wars Centenary in 2077.
    Episode XXX, I'd estimate.

23. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    I'm starting to think by the time these films might be considered for production, there won't be many if any physical movie theaters anymore. Cinema will start becoming almost solely a personal and digital experience when they are released. I don't think there will be large crowds going to cinemas in person by that time anymore, especially by the end of the trilogy. Star Wars will be experienced in a very different way.

dekaneas likes this.
  24. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Last year, Kathleen Kennedy stated that the Anthology films would "reach beyond the core characters and storylines of Episodes I-IX." Emphasis on IX as her given end point. I'm thinking about it, and honestly, I'm hoping that the core Saga ends there. Let each trilogy function as a respective beginning, middle, and end to a larger story, and give us a satisfying conclusion to the whole thing with IX.

Like I said above, they're no longer marketing these films with their episode numbers, so where's the harm in doing a brand new trilogy in a completely different era as opposed to X-XII? It maintains the integrity of the core Star Wars Saga, prevents increasingly larger episode numbers from feeling overwhelming to audiences (as numbered sequels are wont to do), and still allows Disney/Lucasfilm to continue making Star Wars films, but in a more diversified, less fatigue-susceptible way. I don't see a downside.

Darth_Articulate, dekaneas and TheBBP like this.
  25. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Yes, give us this final trilogy and leave this era. Let's see the Old Jedi order and Old Sith Empire.

PymParticles likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.