main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episodes X thru XII "guaranteed"

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Luukeskywalker, Jul 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Even something set hundreds of years after Episode IX would be interesting. It's obviously all part of the same series, and little references to past events could be thrown around here or there, but let it function as its own thing without making it part of the overarching I-IX narrative.

Obviously, I (and we) have no influence over what happens. They'll decide to do what they'll decide to do. But, this is what I'm hoping comes to pass. I'd rather they not risk diminishing the Saga with endless numbered episodic sequels. That makes it feel less like a genuine story and more like a soap opera. Post-IX, sticking with one-off Anthology films and even new trilogies that are narratively unrelated to the saga allows them to have their cake and eat it, too. Obviously they're going to make more films, but diversified output that doesn't feel redundant or repetitive lets us have more Star Wars without it feeling less special.

2. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

You know that there would be fans demanding that they shoehorn in a Skywalker or Solo descendant or they'd be disrespecting Luke somehow.

3. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    Why would anyone believe the saga would stop at IX? This is franchise hollywood, people.

As for a TOR saga, that would be cool as long as it followed it's own thing. Leave out any characters or situations created by Bioware or Obsidian (Yes, that includes Bastila and Revan) and do their own thing.

There will be Star Wars movies until doomsday.

TheBBP likes this.
  4. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    On one hand, I very much agree with you. On the other hand, I REALLY dig Revan as a character and do hope to see him in canon someday.

5. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014

The problem is that Bioware created him, and thus the character has a lot of baggage. They could use him, but they'd have to give a 'based on character created by...' credit and probably have to pay Drew Karpyshyn since he created the character in the original game. The storyline would have to be different, as well. The whole thing is spelled out, the whole story would be common knowledge even with the ESB style reveal once you get all the star maps (And, once again, a "story by..." credit and more money going out.

Just leave those characters in Legends, is what i say. Ulic Qel-Droma, Nomi Sunrider, and Exar Kun... The lot of them.

ElectroBC likes this.
  6. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008

I expect it really doesn't matter who created him at this stage. Lucasfilm owns all the characters and stories. Think of all the characters created in the old EU by various artists and writers. Did all those writers get credited or paid when their characters were used in other work? For example did Zahn get paid or credited every time Mara Jade got used in something he did't write? Did Jan Duursema and John Ostrander get paid or credited on ATOC and ROTS because they featured their creation Aayla Secura? did Lucasfilm have to ask Dark Horse if they minded? Doubt it.

7. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014

I think Kathleen said that because IX was the last officially announced episode. I honestly believe Disney will make every effort to give us another episodic trilogy sometime afterwards.

Why do a brand new trilogy as opposed to X-XII when you can do both? They're not going to feature the episode numbers in the marketing, so that's not going to matter as much, especially if the films are good.

MillenniumFalcon2015 likes this.
  8. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014
    That doesn't matter. There's still the Writer's guild and they aren't going to piss them off.

Publishing is a little different than the film industry. If someones STORY gets filmed you can damned well bet the Guild will start harping on Disney about it if they give no credit and no pay. You do not want to piss off the Guild. Disney may be powerful, but they are not God.

Not sure about characters, but story is a lot different. If they shoot KOTOR as is (in truncated form, obviously, because it would fill six movies) Drew would have to have a Story by credit and most likely pay. Not even Disney/Lucasfilm sets the rules that Hollywood runs by. There are several unions at work and if even one of them strike on you, you're dead in the water. Sheesh, Lucas had to wrestle with the Screen Actor's Guild to keep the opening crawl in ESB rather than the more traditional listing off everyone in the film at the beginning. The Director's guild prevented Spielberg from doing Jedi. The wheels gotta have grease or none of this stuff happens, and it takes more than some studio or production company holding their ears and pouting to get their way.

Plus, even though KOTOR is 12 years old, the second they announce it every spoiler from the game will be blasted all over the internet. Not everyone played it, some were too young, some didn't have the console, some didn't care, some don't like video games. They would need to make a movie for a broad market, not just fans of a 12 year old video game on a grandaddy console. Mark my words, this will not happen. Fans can cross their fingers, but i think anyone who does is living on fantasy island.

9. MillenniumFalcon2015

MillenniumFalcon2015 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 18, 2013
    I think that the new Star Wars movies with Disney will have phases as well as the Marvel/Avengers movies.

Here's how I see it:

Phase I:Episodes VII(TFA) 2015
    Rogue One 2016
    Episode VIII 2017
    Han Solo spinoff 2018
    Episode IX 2019
    Kenobi(First in a trilogy) 2020

Phase II:Episode X 2021 (Featuring Rey,Finn and Poe as Full Fledged Jedi Knights against new emeny(extragalactic invasion/UR invasion)
    Kenobi II with Darth Vader 2022
    Episode XI 2023
    Kenobi III with Darth Vader 2024
    Episode XII 2025

Phase III:Anthology spinoff Tarkin?? Based on the novel Tarkin
    OT3 trilogy set between ROTJ and TFA Episode I 2027
    Anthology spinoff Vader??? Based on the book Lords of the Sith 2028
    OT3 trilogy set between ROTJ and TFA Episode II 2029
    Anthology spinoff Lando??? 2030
    OT3 trilogy set between ROTJ and TFA Episode III 2031

Phase IV:Anthology spin off Thrawn vs.Nuso Esva?? 2032
    KOTOR trilogy Episode I 2033
    Anthology spinoff Tales of the Millennium Falcon 2034??
    KOTOR trilogy Episode II 2035
    Anthology spinoff The Stark Hyperspace War 2036??
    KOTOR trilogy Episode III 2037

Phase V:Anthology spinoff Outbound Flight 2038???
    Episode XIII (featuring older Rey,Finn as Jedi Masters with new Jedi army/armada vs. Sith army/Armada 2039
    Anthology spinoff Formation of the Old Republic The Unification Wars 2040???
    Episode XIV 2041
    Anthology spinoff The Alsakan Conflicts 2042??
    Episode XV 2043

Phase VI:Anthology spinoff Palpatine/Darth Plagieus 2044??
    KOTOR Trilogy II Episode I 2045
    Anthology spinoff Darth Bane 2046??
    KOTOR Trilogy II Episode II 2047
    Anthology spinoff Yoda's early adventures 800 years before ANH 2048
    KOTOR Trilogy II Episode III 2049

Phase VII:Anthology spinoff The Unknown Regions set 30 years before ANH 2050
    Episode XVI Set 150 years after ROTJ featuring Cade Skywalker 2052
    Episode XVII 2053
    Episode XVIII 2054

10. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014

If they wanna do Vader, it'll have to be well before 2028. How long do you think James Earl Jones will live?

11. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    Vader is being done in novels and comics right now.

nightangel and starocean90 like this.
  12. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    and in Rebels too.;)
    but seeing him in that decade+ post III could be interesting, after he lost everything and everybody his emotional state of mind....

nightangel and TheBBP like this.
  13. MillenniumFalcon2015

Aug 18, 2013
    The First KOTOR trilogy would be about the Jedi Civil War and the second KOTOR trilogy will be about the Great Galactic War.
    I definitely think Episodes X-XII will be Phase 2 of the Disney SW movies and they might come out in 2021/2023/2025. I hope Episodes X-XII will be announced at D23 this weekend. No matter how long they will eventually be made.

14. CoruscantDweller

CoruscantDweller Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 28, 2015

Or they you know just make a KOTOR/Old Republic movie that has no story elements from the games but keeps its style. I think thats more likely.

15. Count Zero

Jul 20, 2014

If they do, then yes. But don't expect Revan or Malak. It'll most likely be original characters.

16. CoruscantDweller

CoruscantDweller Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 28, 2015

Thats kinda what I am expecting. If they do a story line on the Old Republic one way I could see them getting fans that would be wary of SW movies without previous characters by giving them some sort of major reveal. For example, a movie detailing the beginning of the Jedi Order. Still while Revan may not be a character by name they could always make a character like him but not the exact plot. Also since Bane is now canon thanks to CW they might use his personality but change his entire backstory. So they still could adapt Revan as a character just change a lot of the story and maybe his name as well.

17. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    So I'm going to have to wait over 30 years for my PT-era spinoffs? [face_talk_hand]:p

18. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Sounds good to me. As long as the quality is good, of course.

I don't want to be like a Michael Bay movie; where it's just put out to make money.

19. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001
    good lord with that many you could miss like ten of them and not care.

carlcockatoo likes this.
  20. MillenniumFalcon2015

Aug 18, 2013
    There are some PT era spinoffs I put in my hypothetical list like a Vader spinoff and a Tarkin spinoff. But perhaps you like to see a young Qui-Con Jinn spinoff or a Mace Windu spinoff.

21. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I know it's good to be mindful of the future to an extent, but what is it Qui-Gon told Obi-Wan?

How about we just enjoy the present while it's here and take the future as it comes. We've got a new movie out in four months. I know it's easy to become fixated on the great unknown of potential future releases, but I think we should all focus on the here and now. New movie. Four months. Cool stuff.

22. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    Since it's what Star Wars seems to be about, I'd be cool with a trilogy every generation, where the new heroes deal with the ramifications of the previous generation and emerge with a new and different point of view or solution to the GFFA's problems. But that would require Lucasfilm/Disney waiting a few decades, until the actors were old enough to portray aged versions of their characters to pass their knowledge on to the younger heroes. Would they have the patience for that?

23. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    No.. that's not true.. that's impossible! JK, I actually hope this is true. Can't get enough Star Wars in my opinion, as long as John Williams is making the soundtrack. :p if not, then it's a no go

24. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    I can see IX being the end of the Saga as a whole, with anything beyond that starting anew. It wouldn't seem right to jump into a X proper unless something like 20 years have passed and ST characters can return older.

They should look to the prequels era for some future spin offs, and definitely post-ROTS, pre-ANH.

PymParticles likes this.
  25. MillenniumFalcon2015

Aug 18, 2013
    They can make younger actors look older. So maybe Episodes X-XII could still come out in 2021/2023/2025. I think Episodes X-XII should take place at least 10 years after the ST with Rey,Finn and Poe Dameron could be a bit older and wiser with Poe Dameron becoming an Admiral leading the Republic/Resistance Fleet against the new enemy of the SST while Rey and Finn are Jedi Masters training and leading the New Jedi Order and having their own fleet of starfighters and warships against the new enemy.

By the way I had mentioned one of the potential anthology spinoffs about Outbound Flight. Since the EU is rebooted perhaps a new Outbound Flight adventure to explore the Unknown Regions and beyond to a neighbouring galaxy and it would be set between Episodes IX and X. Paving the way for the new threat perhaps extragalactic to appear in Episodes X-XII. Personally I think it would be fun if Episode IX would end with not only the victory for the Jedi Order and Republic but to end with an Outbound Flight mission lead by many new Jedi that will be trained by Luke Skywalker heading to the UR and neighbouring galaxies again setting the stage for Episodes X-XII.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.