main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episodic endings in a 9 part saga

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by StoneRiver, Aug 21, 2013.

?

The mood of the ending of EPVII will be.....

1. Happy

44 vote(s)
    45.4%
  2. Sad

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  3. Foreboding

49 vote(s)
    50.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    I'm going with foreboding.

this is gonna be more serious this time around I think but in a good way.

edit: I think this is what people kind of want and it will still be a crowd pleaser.

like on this site a common opinion seems to be that the 'public' just wants a nostalgia fest with a happy ending but I think in reality the 'public' would see that as corny and pointless.

2. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Avengers was still a happy ending. I think this comes down to semantics and people's definition of a happy ending. Even Episode IV had Darth Vader surviving.

3. RC-2473

Mar 14, 2015
    ANH had a happy ending 'cause star wars wasn't the star wars saga yet if that makes sense. but it also legitimately works.
    ROTJ had a proper happy ending that happened as it should have.
    TPM had a 'happy' ending 'cause that movie makes no sense lol.

TFA is probably going to have a foreboding ending and given what we know of the plot and the overall tone the film is going in this is the best way to go imo. like I can't see any scenario where we have a ANH style ending that would feel right. straight up happy endings are usually (notable exceptions) corny af, and while I love a good tragedy cause I'm a #sadboy those aren't always believable either. 'mixed endings' are usually the best, most realistic, and 'deepest' (not to say you can't have cliches with this). given the episodic nature of star wars, the events at the end of the film (based on what we may or may not know lol) and what this is building into over three films foreboding is the best way to go.

4. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015
    I think to make a foreboding ending for ANH all they would have had to do is have a scene with Vader speaking to the Emperor at the end. Saying something like "I will strike at the heart of this Rebellion and crush it" this would be cast against the celebrations on Yavin, and show that this was just the beginning.

They could have had a mirror scene on Coruscant with a hall full of Storm Troopers. It would have not detracted at all from then ending, and in fact it would have been a more exciting and meaningful ending. In retrospect it seems silly they were having this award ceremony while a counter-attack imminent from the Empire.

That is what I think will happing in TFA. The good guys are going to win round 1. Gleeson gets killed all other baddies survive. We will get the happy meeting of Rey and Luke, then we will catch a glimpse of The 1st Order's retaliation plan.

5. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    The Immediate Baddie defeated, the Big Baddie hinted at, which is sort of how TPM ended.

Episode 9? Depends on the big plan. If Episode 10 comes along 2 years later, then a little hint of evil still out there. Ming the Merciless' hand picks up his power ring. If they decide to put it all to sleep for a while, then Dancing Ewoks and fireworks.

6. RC-2473

Mar 14, 2015
    just so you all know this thread is the perfect argument for why Luke showing up at the end is the perfect ending for TFA it's foreboding and hopeful. different layers to it and gets you talking. in ANH the ending didn't really do that. in fact the ending is the least memorable part of the entire movie (not saying they shouldn't have had a happy ending I think ROTJ for example is a good ending).

I think Episode VIII will have a "woah" cliffhanger ending (not a literal cliffhanger 'cause there will be a couple of years in between the films I think) and IX will have a happy ending but not an ewoks and fireworks type of happy ending more of a "profound" one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.