main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Epistles to a Master (JA, AU, Qui/Xanatos/Obi) - *Complete, 03/01/08*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ithesock, Jun 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    this is hysterical [face_laugh]

2. River_Stone

River_Stone Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2005
    Normally I would quote the parts of the story I particularly enjoyed but if i did that here I would just be copying the entirety of both postings, so I'll refrain...with difficulty. ;)

The characterisations you have here are simply delicious. I love Xanatos' cocky but warm-hearted attitude, Qui-Gon's serene but humourous returns, and how cute are Obi-Wan's letters! I particularly like the Xanatos/ Obi-Wan relationship you have given hint to, portaying them as brotherly figures with a tiny element of jealous reluctancy on Xanatos' part until he realises, I think, that he quite enjoys playing the mentor (although, naturally, his pride will not allow him to admit to such a thing).

What a wonderful and brilliantly crafted idea.

You have really brightened up my day with this. Thank you [:D]

3. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    [face_laugh] This is hilarious sockie! Love the letters between Xan and Qui and Obi-Wan is WONDERFUL! Love the spulling and the 'copy' 'paste' part.

Xan's reaction to little Obi-Wan is just precious [face_laugh] Love the questions. What a great way to start the day :)

4. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    This one is a gem! Awesomely funny! :D What a stroke of genius to make Obi-Wan 6 years old and to send him off with Xanatos! Love it! More soon please! :D

5. corellian-jedi

corellian-jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2005
    If I still retain much of my grace, poise and style, it is a mercy of the Telosian Goddess of Beauty and the super-excellent Crion genes?nothing to do with that one?s disciplining methods.

[face_laugh] Xan would say that!

5. Impossible to live with, in general.

I disgress. It's is never impossible to live with Xanatos. :*

8. Is commonly referred to by his master, as ?that brat?.

Awwwww Qui-Gon.

There was brief confusion for a while, in which it was suspected that the tube-full of poison was not, in fact, poison?but one of Master Yoda?s swamp stews. This was corrected soon?as Healer Alcar agrees with me that Master Yoda?s stew would have killed me at once, rather than leave me room for recovery.

[face_laugh] Too true.

Why iz it hard to speel wen I rite?

Cute Obi!

But he waz luking at a tal lady wit red hair. Mastter, du yu no why?

Ratting on Xani! And just like an innocent child...

Anyways, it was beautiful - a delight! I love how Obi-Wan can't spell yet. His affection for Qui-Gon is so sweet, and of course Xanatos feeling disgruntled about the six-year-old Padawan (his 'Padawan brother' tehee) is just priceless.

6. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    LOL, this is soo cute!

7. Fluff-Slayer

Fluff-Slayer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2005
    I agree with my fellow readers, Sockie-pie. This ficcy has been most enjoyable.

Just curious, though--was Obi-Wan really a Padawan at age six? I thought he wasn't selected until much later. [face_chicken] Then again, I rarely have my facts straight. And even if I do, you have literary liscense to do whatever you please. Little Obi does add an unmistakable 'adorable factor' lilt to any fic. And I must say, you write Xani's playful condescension perfectly.

=D= Applause! And more applause!

With the powers vested in me...

[face_skull] I COMMAND THIS FIC--UP! UP, I SAY! [face_skull]

(And update real soon pleaaaase!)

8. sheleigh

sheleigh Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    Oh this is classic!

Love the veiled (affectionate?) insults between Qui-Gon and Xanatos.

Obi-Wan... [face_love]

Wonderful job, eagerly awaiting more :)

9. ithesock

ithesock Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2005
    [:D] to everyone who replied - you guys are great! Will reply when I wake up tomorrow. In the meantime, a letter from Xan (the rest will follow):

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Message No: 985622225ytoyu7123
    Time: 242.49.08
    Sender: DeCrion, Xanatos [Affiliation: Knight (Jedi Order)]
    Recipient: Jinn, Qui-Gon [Affiliation: Council Member (Jedi Order)]
    Subject: Broths, Roasts, Roiling Stomachs and Sanctimonious Masters

***************BEGIN ENCRYPTED MESSAGE****************

To the Esteemed Council-Member Qui-Gon Jinn of The Pretentious Jedi Order, Coruscant, who is yet to learn the intricacies of the Force, Serenity, and Various Important Things, including Appreciation of Magnificent Padawans.

I am still unconcerned about your health, as Healer Alcar has seen fit to inform me about your rapid progress from light-green broth to dewback steaks drenched in sauce?in three standard days. I am thankful that the Force saw fit to stop me from sending you bursts of healing energy from across a great many planets (an endeavour that would have caused only a slight dent in my remarkable armoury, I assure you), since it is manifestly obvious that such an excess of food is sure to send you into oblivion again. What could not be done by a tube of poison would have been accomplished by dewback roasts.

You would therefore, be the first Council member to actually die?by means of indigestion. No mean feat, I think, since I have reason to believe that not even a Hutt has accomplished this. Henceforth, your name will be branded forever in Jedi history as The Gluttonous One. Your epitaph will read: May the Force Burp with You.

My master, I salute you.

Regarding your latest whim?er?padawan: Perhaps you share this strange ?bond? with the unquiet Kenobi?in my opinion, the whelp ought to be spending hours gazing wide-eyed at Knights such as me, engaged in various monumental tasks, instead of being sent on missions when they are six years old. And what was the other reason for your choosing him? Was he to be a dull contrast to my flaming prowess?

I write this, since the imp wished to know what I would do if ?he was bad?. Not unnaturally befuddled by this question, I asked him to elaborate, upon which he said that you had told him to behave well, while with me. Very kindly, he informed me that it was his intention to do so when he could remember it (how very thoughtful of him!)?but here lay an unexpected rub: What was he to do if he were to ?axadestically? be bad?? Would I axe him?

Those were his exact words.

After having mulled over what this strange and hitherto unknown word could possibly mean, I?due to my superior intellectual prowess?detected its true meaning. And was properly horrified.

If you have been threatening the boy to ?axe? him at the slightest hint of bad behaviour, then I shall have to respectfully file a petition with the Council regarding padawan abuse.

Speaking of abuse, the brat has been taking notes, he says, of my various friendships with the ?angles? here?another mistake I sought to rectify, since I was forming valuable connections with Royal Houses and not ?fluerting??especially with that red-haired snippet of a girl who has no business calling me her ?swain?. Do not believe your apprentice. He is but a child, and anyone who misspells ?flirting? doesn?t know what diplomacy means. Not to mention informing you of my every move?

Reconsidering, I take back my threat of filing a petition for padawan abuse.

Received your message regarding various Council issue ? and I must say that I?m very, very impressed. At the remarkable ability displayed by several Council members to argue, re-argue and counter-argue every ridiculous aspect of the Senate Laws, especially about the viability of allowing the Commerce Routers dig tunnels in Hoth. I fail to understand:

A: What the Commerce Routers are doing on Hoth.
    B. Why Hoth would require Jedi permission to let th

10. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    These just get better and better! :D

11. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    [face_laugh]

I loved Obi-Wan's take over of the message, and Xanatos' superior attitude. It's all just so great. [face_laugh]

12. Seven

Seven Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2000
    Wonderful as always Master!

Keep it up!

Your Devoted Little Padawan,
    Seven

13. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    ::sniff:: Oh, this is so beautiful, I think I shed a tear.

[face_laugh]

I loved the wewe wuwu arfarf. That was adorable and hilarious. And Xan's postscript stating sternly that he most definitely did NOT hold a six-year-old on his lap. Because that would be totally undignified.

I love this. So much.

14. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I really love your take on Xan. He is so hilarious, sarcastic and endearing all at the same time. Plus he keeps protesting about Obi-Wan and then puts him on his lap! Love the mush. Great job!

15. corellian-jedi

corellian-jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2005
    Excellent and hilarious as usual! Hmmm, more soon please.

And may the Force burp with you. :D

16. Shadowolf

Shadowolf Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2005
    I adore this! I've never read the Xanatos character before but here I can see and hear him so well! And little Obi is just about the cutest thing in short pants! Excellent work, I can't wait for the next update.

17. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    You need to post a warning that reading this fic can be dangerous to your health (laughed so hard I almost fell on the floor arfffarfff [face_laugh]

18. jediGrace

jediGrace Jedi Youngling

Jul 5, 2005
    You would therefore, be the first Council member to actually die?by means of indigestion. No mean feat, I think, since I have reason to believe that not even a Hutt has accomplished this.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Love this! I don't know the Xanatos character well but in this he is very amusing and I can see why Qui-Gon would like him.

19. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    [face_laugh] These are hilarious! I love Xan's superior attitude, and his putting up with little Obi. :) Really liked the 'speeling' in the 'massage' accounts, that's so cute! Xan's banter with Qui is just great. :D

20. ithesock

Mar 12, 2005
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I spend an hour typing replies...and it vanishes into thin air. :_| How am I ever going get it all done again???

**goes back to work valiantly, as she [face_love] her readers.**

dianethx: What can I say but 'thank you'? :) Your comment was so very spot on. Loved that you loved it.

>>>You put that in a single sentence - usually that means it's important????>>>

That puffed me up in my own consequence no end, knowing you notice these things. <bows humbly> Perhaps there's a little something... [face_batting]

>>>Plus he keeps protesting about Obi-Wan and then puts him on his lap! Love the mush.>>>

Thanks, m'lady.

lindemacil: Glad you liked Lightside Xani so much. I hadn?t read Xan either when i began this - but I figured this what he might have been like, had he been redeemed, so to speak. :D Thank you!

kateydidnt: Li'l Obi is precious, isn?t he? Loved writing him. thank you!

maychorian: I knew you?d like the Boga touch. :D Thanks! (We?s, and wu?s tore you up, eh? Goody. :D)

Lady_Snow_Kaguya: Thank you, My Lady. More soon, hopefully. :D

Padawan Mine: Thank you, little one. Yes, you're free to worship at li'l Obi's shrine. No, you may not keep him. Just...look at him from afar, or something. Heh. (Yes, I'm cruel.). You could have a bit of baby Obi, perhaps (who appears in my next fic. Gods!).

obi_ew: Whee! thanks! :D

LuvEwan: >>Ah! So incredibly cute, I can barely stand it!>> Like ice, then. So cool you want it, yet you can't stand it. Ouch. So true that the best relationships are the ones where they tease each other witless. Thanks, LE.

salem-aubrey: Thank you. :)

astraevirgo: Thanks!

PadawanKitara: Yaaah <jigs about in glee> I made her fall of her chair!!!. It merits a warning, eh? Thanks, m'dear. :D

River_Stone: I ought to thank you, for the lovely reviews you?ve been posting. You have a great eye for detail, and instantly pick up on what I'm trying to say (and there?s nothing more that an author wishes.) Thanks so much. [face_love]

tangled_sphere: You here! I'm honoured. :). Glad you loved it. Thank you, T-S. (hands her a bushel of tomatoes, and hopes she remembers :D)

forever_jedi: LOL, thanks. More coming up soon, hopefully. :)

corellian-jedi: Imagine having a six year old for a padawan-brother - and to be told that your erstwhile master shares a Force-willed bond with him to boot. Poor, poor Xani, indeed. :D Thanks!. You think its possible to live with that brat. Do so, then. I give you Light Xani to do with him what you will. (after you've chased away the red-headed snippet, ie.) [face_laugh] Urp.

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi: Thank you. :)

Fluff-Slayer: <Accepts applause and 'up' gratefully, and bows> Oh, thank you. As per JA, Obi became Qui's padawan only at 13 (or 12 - I think he was four weeks shy of his thirteenth birthday). I?ve heard it said, however, that GL visualized his own JA in which Obi actually was chosen when he was around 7 or 8 (Heard it in the Obi thread).. That idea intrigued me - and fit in with a lot of the movie stuff. So I made Obi around 6. Fanfic licence, as you said. And threw in a condescending Xan too. :D Voila!

sheleigh: Thank you. :)

VaderLVR64: [:D] Thanks!

Shadowolf: LOL. Thanks!

jediGrace: Qui-Gon would have loved this Xani, I think. Oh, that poor man. :D. Thanks!

Jedi_Tigris: Thanks so much. :)

**goes to work on more letters**

Hopefully, there's a plot to this fic. Or maybe not.

You wouldn't mind, would you? [face_batting]

21. Musing

Musing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2003
    Oh gosh, how did I miss this? :oops: <smacks forehead repeatedly> My bad!

But now that I've found it, I'm not letting go. Wonderful work!

22. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    Loved update # 3! I can imagine Xanatos frantically trying to fix his "massage" account after the big Obi-Wan-induced crash. And Qui-Gon must have been a little worried to send so many messages! Cute Obi-Wan - wanting to share with his Master little tidbits of his mission - Xan's flirting, night sounds of the native animals. And Xan letting Obi sit on his lap and share the "massage" account - awww! I can't help but feel that Xan would also have been a great master for Obi-Wan in this AU! Since Qui-Gon is on the Council, perhaps Xan will help out with the mission-type training?

Is it my imagination or has Obi's "speeling" become worse since Xan decided to help him after his first message to Qui-Gon? ;)

Off-topic (or may be not!): in the JA series, Obi-Wan became Qui-Gon's apprentice at age 13. In the TPM novel, when they are having their little tiff, the author mentions that it's hard for Obi-Wan to sweep away 20 years of friendship with Qui-Gon. If Obi-Wan is 25 in TPM (which seems to be pretty canon), then he and Qui-Gon must have started together when he was around 5, according to the TPM novel. Which is more "canon" or correct? TPM novel? Or the JA series?

23. River_Stone

River_Stone Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2005
    Oh thank goodness! There you are! I was beginning to have withdrawal symptoms! Poor Seven has had to drag me around half-delirious trying to hunt you down (since when have you been able to pick locks? Or by-pass laser fields and shark infested waters? The LOCKDOWNGREATAUTHORS company assured me you would not escape the PC.)

Once again this was beautiful. Obi-Wan is so cute! And the relationships between the three characters are just adorable. This is a really enjoyable read.

I must leave you now, though not in any way to purchase tranquiliser darts to sedate you should you escape again. You can go along your business. Nothing to worry about here.

(River_Stone runs off to go find Seven.)

24. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    LOL!!!! Message errors, and Obi wreaking havoc. *giggles* More soon!!

25. ithesock

Mar 12, 2005
    Musing: Thank you! :)

forever_jedi : LOL about the spelling having gotten worse. Thanks a bunch. I'm glad you enjoyed it all so much. Xan is a bunch of contradictions, isn't he? :D. 20 years of friendship!!!:eek: Yaah...my fic is canon..well, almost. :D.

River_Stone: <tries in vain to eavesdrop on R_S and self's padawan> Argh, argh. argh. That dratted company makes it locks too well. I managed to pick one, but it clamped another onto me. So here's another update. <gnashes teeth>

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi : Hee. Havoc, indeed. thanks. :)

And the next...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Message No: 2145kjghkj12245542
    Time: 243.50.08
    Sender: Jinn, Qui-Gon [Affiliation: Council-Member (Jedi Order)]
    Recipient: DeCrion, Xanatos [Affiliation: Knight (Jedi Order)]
    Subject: To Obi-Wan - 2

***************BEGIN ENCRYPTED MESSAGE****************

My Padawan?

I hope this message find you very well, little one.

While I am very glad that you?re taking pains to learn so many new things, you must take care not to disturb Knight Xanatos too much. You may ask him any questions you please?but make sure that you don?t interrupt his messages to me. Ask him to open a new message for you. This is so that I may read your messages to me easily.

I am also sending a dictiono-gram file for you ? that you may be able to write longer, easier letters. Make good use of it, padawan mine.

Aside from a slight fever, I am all right, so do not worry. I am glad that you are in good health and that you meditate often. Do not mind the red ladies and other angels who speak to Knight Xanatos. Observe, learn, and keep in mind the customs observed in P?abar ? but never forget your surroundings either.

The animal sounds of P?abar are truly wonderful. Thank you for informing me, little One.

Learn well any new kata that Knight Xanatos may choose to teach you?I know that you remember the ?First Step? kata, which I taught you a month ago. Demonstrate it to him, when he asks you to. Remember always that he is your elder, your padawan brother, and deserves your respect. I know that I need not worry much about this.

I look forward to seeing you soon, my padawan. In the meantime, write more.

Your Master,
    Qui-Gon.

**************END ENCRYPTED MESSAGE***************

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Message No: 333033ytitoiuhyIVVVVV65
    Time: 243.50.08 -2.2
    Sender: Jinn, Qui-Gon [Affiliation: Council-Member (Jedi Order)]
    Recipient: DeCrion, Xanatos [Affiliation: Knight (Jedi Order)]
    Subject: Growing Padawans ? Past and Present

**********BEGIN ENCRYPTED MESSAGE***********

Xanatos,

Your snide remarks about my condition could not leave the slightest dent in my armour of self-assurance, for I have reason to believe that Healer Alcar received two transmissions from you?both hurried, and couched so secretively that his manner was certain to arouse my curiosity at once?regarding the current state of my health. While I will not go to the extent of saying that I was touched, I will say that I?m glad you?re finally showing some sign of affection to the one that raised and trained you for so many years. I have not nourished a Tatooine sand-viper in my heart, and for that, I shall be eternally grateful to the Force.

What did touch me, however, is your obvious affection and solicitude for your young padawan brother. I must confess that I had my doubts when it was first suggested that you take him with you, but I entertain no more such questions. Your love for him, and the way you?ve undertaken to educate him in these few days have convinced me that the milk of human kindness flows richly, in your heart. I have never been a proponent of the ?emotionless Jedi? theory (which is ridiculous, as emotions are to be conquered, not to be pretended as though they did not exist), as you well know?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.