main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Equestrian/Horse Racing Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Skywalker8921, Jun 8, 2014.

1. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    idk. Like, I just got done playing a pick up game of basketball. basketball is a sport, and me and a bunch of other fat white guys in short shorts were playing that sport. Not for money, but because it's fun. we like the game. and we like playing it together. no money involved. this is how most people in the world interact with sports (other than watching them obviously).

unless you're gonna argue that we weren't playing sports and were actually doing something else, it's dumb to say that sporting is basically about money. which is what vivec said. i'm not arguing that there isn't money involved in sports or that every pro athlete is playing "for the love of the game" or anything. that'd be dumb too.

tom likes this.
  2. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    DarthIntegral, I don't see what your complaint is. Even if the fields for all three races were made up of the same horses every time, it would STILL be hard for one horse to win the Triple Crown. You're making it sound like the same horses for all three races would automatically lead to a Triple Crown winner every time, and that wouldn't be the case. And FYI, Chrome's co owners Coburn and Perry Martin are NOT billionaires. While I agree Coburn's remarks were ill timed, you do not have to right to tell him to shut up.

CT-867-5309, I'm fully aware Big Brown DNF at Belmont in 2008, but he did START the race, thus my comment

I'll Have Another didn't race, but his TC bid still counts in a way.

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Would pick up mini-golf be considered a sport?

4. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    horse racing is counter-revolutionary and must be smashed. rich dudes who turn purple with anger while wearing cowboy hats and complaining about how unfair "for the horses" something is will be among the first against the wall when the revolution arrives

EmpireForever likes this.
  5. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    They're not.

6. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    they're not against the wall? well, yes, the revolution has not yet arrived

7. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    Rogue_Ten likes this.
  8. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    okay you are right. steve coburn is not rich. i take back calling him rich, and he will quite possibly be allowed to survive the revolution. most racing horse owners, however, will not be

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  10. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Now he should apologize for being a part of a fundamentally corrupt, abusive system in the first place.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

So Obama should apologize too then?

DarthTunick likes this.
  12. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Obama races horses?

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Oh, sorry, I thought we were asking for blanket apologies issued for being a part of a fundamentally corrupt, abusive system in the first place.

14. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Horse-racing is more on par with the 2009 Afghan Presidential election in terms of corruption, sorry.

15. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    You're not suggesting Afghan elections are corrupt are you?

16. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Rules should definitely be changed. Racing horses should be illegal.

17. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    NIAWYC

Who else has the courage to flee from such evil?

18. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    1935 to 1937
    1939 to 1941
    1946 to 1951
    1955 & 1956
    1963 to 1967
    1969 & 1970
    1972 to 1978
    1987 & 1988
    1994 & 1995

All years where the Belmont Stakes winner ran all three races. Up until 2006 the longest gap between Belmont winners running all three races was 5 years. The current gap has been 9 years.

Also, the last time a Triple Crown upset winner ran in all three was 1998, so that's sixteen years.

There's been 80 Belmont races from 1935 to now. Just over half of the winners so far have competed in all three, but if fresh horses keep coming in and dominating the Belmont after skipping the Derby and/or Preakness, the numbers will skew to the other end.

19. dragonsith13

dragonsith13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 3, 2005
    Should we change the rules for what is considered a goal? Considered a touchdown? While we are at it lets change the length of running a marathon... I can sympathize with wanting to see exciting accomplishments in sports. There are reason why in the history of certain sports only few records or accomplishments are ever done.

Watering down the rule will only diminish the significance of the accomplishment. Will be ever see another Triple Crown winner? Who knows? Should we change the rules in baseball so that someone can break Roger Maris' record of 61 (keeping in mind that many look at steroid era as not valid)...point being that changing the rules destroys the significance of the accomplishment.

As far as the horses and owner not competing in all three races... let them be. They will never achieve recognition, of course the owner will make money. When a true Triple Crown winner comes around it will be a significant and lasting achievement.

There will be another Triple Crown winner.... it will happen. I am sorry that every year people are disappointed. When it does happen the Horse, team, jockey ect will all go down in history as legends...
    1919 Sir Barton
    1930 Gallant Fox
    1935 Omaha
    1937 War Admiral
    1941 Whirlaway
    1943 Count Fleet
    1946 Assault
    1948 Citation
    1973 Secretariat
    1977 Seattle Slew
    1978 Affirmed

Look at the timeline... it is not something easily accomplished in close to one hundred years only 11 Champions.... so don't expect a Triple Crown Winner every other year.... be patient and when it does happen, recognize that you witnessed history in sports of the highest level.

20. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    I see your point, but looking at the statistics, it's obvious how lopsided things have become.

Factoring the years 1930 to 1934 into the list I made last night, Gallant's Fox's Triple Crown win in '30 and Twenty Grand's win at Belmont the following year nearly even things at 43/42 when comparing Belmont winners who ran all three races with those who did not run the Derby and/or Preakness, with the former just having the edge (for now). However, that doesn't bother me as much as the failed Triple Crown statistics.

22 failed Triple Crown attempts since 1932. 3 of those - Burgoo King in 1932, Bold Venture in 1936, and I'll Have Another in 2012 - did not start. However, the 1936 Belmont winner, Granville, did run in all three races. Of the seven failures from 1944 to 1971, four were beaten at Belmont by horses that ran all three.

When it comes to the 12 attempts since 1978 (minus I'll Have Another), only TWO upsets were pulled off by three-runners. The other ten either came in just for the Belmont or only ran in the Derby or the Preakness prior.

21. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    Could third time be the charm for Victor Espinoza after two failed attempts?

I seriously doubt it. TBH, I didn't even want American Pharoah to win because I was afraid of precisely last year's scenario playing out again. Oh, well.

22. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i miss you. love me

23. Jedi with a TARDIS

Jedi with a TARDIS Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 4, 2013
    If you change the rules then it's not the Triple Crown and your horse's name does not deserve to be up there with War Admiral or Seattle Slew. They did it with those rules and you should to. If your horse isn't up to the challenge then go cry into your mint julep in the corner.

I do wonder how many horses were injured in those past races. Seriously, it seems like a horse dies in at least one of those three races every year. Maybe they should suck it up and start mix breeding those Thoroughbreds with something sturdier?

24. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I think the welfare of the horses trumps their owners desire for money and fame. Increased resting between races.

25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    So, 6:50 pm EST tonight....