main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Equestrian/Horse Racing Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Skywalker8921, Jun 8, 2014.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    ^ holy crap! you may be able to retire on that stub one day.

i added in the equestrian component in the title so we can all learn from 'sey. i love watching the big races, but know so little in general about the sport. i know the names bob baffert (because it's a funny, memorable name) and d. wayne lukas, because his horses always win. that's about it. :p

2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Funny thing was, the year before I got autographs from the three previous Triple Crown winning jockeys.

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Hey there, I don't know if you know but I'm also a decent horseracing enthusiast. Used to go to Santa Anita when it was nearby. I've been to the Breeder's Cup there a few years ago, which was phenomenal. I've been to Churchill downs but never on Derby day, which is certainly the dream.

I'm so jealous of anyone who's been to any Triple Crown race (and not just the US ones).

Ahsoka's Tano and Juliet316 like this.
  4. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    The Triple Crown races are great to watch. Certainly going to the Derby is on the sports bucket list. I went to the Preakness twice when I was in college. It was in the infield though which is about the definition of mayhem. They actually had to ban BYOB for a few years but that caused the attendance to plummet. I'd say of all the three, the Preakness would be third in terms of going to. Pimlico isn't in exactly the greatest part outside of Baltimore.

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Ironically enough, this past Saturday was the first Derby I didn't watch live in at least a decade or so. Funny thing was that I was driving home to NY from Baltimore while it was going on. I'll be in Florida when the Preakness is on; but as in previous years I'll most likely watch it during the cocktail hour at the hotel I'm staying at.

6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    The one Belmont I haven't been able to watch live was when American Pharoah won [face_plain]. I just knew the Triple Crown win would happen the one time I was way out of the country. I mean, I was camping overnight in Botswana. Doesn't get much more remote than that.

I did remain unspoiled and my mom spoiled herself to bring up a clip of the whole race for us to watch when we were back at the hotel in Zambia. Definitely a memorable way to have watched it.

7. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    Absolutely people should be talking about this. The curse of Apollo stood for 136 years which is quite impressive. Not sure why it makes such a difference racing as a 2 year old, experience sure, and technically they don’t turn 3 until January 1st so all of Justify’s races occurred between January and May. Not a lot of time to make any changes if something had gone awry.

There’s some issue going on right now with a video where he was led out to have the media take pics of him and he didn’t want to put weight on his back left leg. They’re saying it’s scratches, which is a bacterial infection. We have that issue with our horses and the thoroughbreds especially can act as if they are three legged lame when they have it. Some horses, just like people, are quite touchy to any pain. So while it seems rare and a lot of comments are saying scratches can’t make a horse that lame, I’ve seen it.

That said, I think the mud really helped Justify win and I think on a dry track he would’ve been caught at the end of the race. So I’m not expecting a Triple Crown winner this year unless the other two races are also run in the rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Juliet316 and DarthIntegral like this.
  8. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Every year, even more than cheering for a Triple Crown winner, I hope that all the horses come out ok by the end of the race. I know it's relatively rare these days; but it has happened in the past where the horse suffered such a debilitating injury during a big race that the trainers were forced to euthanize it on the track. The most infamous of course was Ruffian. My father actually attended the final match race between the filly and Foolish Pleasure. ESPN made a made-for-tv movie about the story several years ago; kind of sandwiched between Seabuscuit and Secretariat.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  9. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    The debate over here in Australia is should connections take Winx overseas to royal ascot and try and do a black caviar they decided against it but still 25 wins in a row as well as having 18 group ones she’s some animal

10. ma_petite

Nov 26, 2006
    Triple Crown hopes are still alive! That race was intense! The fog, the battle with Good Magic through most of the race and then still holding off a late charge! Exciting!

Almost hoping for rain for Belmont too...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2018
    solojones and Juliet316 like this.
  11. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Justify won the Preakness.

LOL and naturally ninja'd by @ma_petite

12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    It was a nice "match race" towards the finish. Of course it's fun that there's the potential for a new Triple Crown winner, but on a personal level I don't have the same level of enthusiasm that I had all those years before American Pharaoh won it (and since Seattle Slew won it in '77). I went to the Belmont for about four or five times over the past decade or so whenever a horse one the first two legs of the big three. After having seen Pharaoh win it, it's just so crazy there, I doubt I'll be going again anytime soon.

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    My daughter asked why the guys were hitting the horses. I explained that they are awful people and we will never be friends with people who beat animals. We then proceeded to eat chicken nuggets.

Point Given likes this.
  14. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    A SkywalkerNumbers thread.

Thunder and lightning.

15. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I get more angry over how they must juice up these horses than just the brief whipping during the races. If you look closely at some of the favorites (like Justify), you can see the veins exploding through the skin.

16. ma_petite

Nov 26, 2006
    That just happens with exertion. These horses are heavily drug tested. They aren’t juiced up. We have TBs on our farm that get nervous or exited and their veins stick out like that. Or when they get hot. We aren’t juicing any of our horses.

Juliet316 and heels1785 like this.
  17. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    It looked like the veins were popping out of their skin before the race. What exertion is involved up until the gates open on the track?

18. ma_petite

Nov 26, 2006
    I also said nervous or excited as well. These horses love what they do. They get excited before the race. They have to contain their energy while parading in front of people and stand still in a box to get tack on. Trust me. These horses are not drugged. They’d be disqualified if they were.

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000

I said that at this race, the Belmont is going to take place in a full-blown hurricane.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    Juliet316 likes this.
  20. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    Add another one to the Triple Crown Trophy. I guess some of the wind is taken out of it since it happened just three years ago after such a long drought. Pretty impressive nonetheless. I could be wrong but I think Justify led wire-to-wire each race.

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. ma_petite

Nov 26, 2006
    Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!! He did it! So amazing! When I was a kid I actually thought I might never see a Triple Crown winner. So happy to have 2 within a few years!

Class act speech from Mike Smith too. Wire to wire victory I was so scared and then he kicked it in gear at the end. That’s the closing speed we didn’t see in the other two races that I didn’t know was in there. So amazing. I adore Winstar Farm too so I’m so happy for them to have a Triple Crown winner.

Edit: no wind is taken out for me or any fan who has been watching racing for a long time. It’s still so special for a horse to do this. Only 13 in over 100 years.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  22. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    TRIPLE CROWN!!!!

Ninja'd.

23. Guidman

Dec 29, 2016
    And now the life of earning enormous stud fees commences.

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I was in Botswana the last time it happened, and wasn't sure I'd ever see it actually live. Wow.

25. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    It happened in the 1970s as well. Multiple TC winners in a short period of time, then none for almost 40 years.

Juliet316 and ShaneP like this.