main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Equestrian Olympian Arrested

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by s65horsey, Jan 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Story from ESPN

Official Police Report

Chiacchia accused of hiding STD
    Associated Press

OCALA, Fla. -- A former Olympic equestrian rider has been arrested in central Florida, accused of failing to tell his former partner that he carried a sexually transmitted disease.

According to a Marion County Sheriff's Office affidavit, Darren Chiacchia was arrested Wednesday. He has been released on $2,000 bond.

Chiacchia's former partner told investigators that he discovered Chiacchia's medical paperwork while vacationing in New York with the 2004 U.S. Olympic equestrian team member.

Chiacchia tells The Associated Press the allegations are shocking and upsetting and "in the end the truth will prevail." A message was left Thursday night seeking comment from his attorney.

Darren Chiacchia has represented the USA internationally multiple times, winning Olympic and Pan American medals in 2003 and 2004, and is one of US eventing's most public figures.

Basically, had sexual relations with his partner (another male) and despite being asked if he had HIV, he told the guy no multiple times. Even when the partner supposedly found a positive HIV test, Darren told him that it was a false positive. I'm going to liken this story to the Tiger Woods story, while this news has nothing to do with the sport itself, this man was propped up as the face of Eventing for years and a role model for all eventers. Something from the Chronicle of the Horse Forum that exploded with this information, Darren had a bad injury and severe brain trauma and there was discussion on if this would impact his ability to tell someone. But he did compete and ride at a high level after the fact and that part hasn't been mentioned in what I see of the police report.

2. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Dude is play'n with other people's lives. Not good.

3. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Huh, I wasn't aware that that was an arrestable offense but I guess it makes sense.

4. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Yeah, I didn't know that was a crime on the books either... but it does make sense.

5. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    It's basically a death sentence, so the transmitter is charged with manslaughter--or assault.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.