main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Eragon" Film Composer Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by RogueBoga1138, Aug 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RogueBoga1138

RogueBoga1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2005
    Who do you think will score the movie "Eragon", based on the book by Paolini? Or who do you hope?

Personally, I THINK one of the two James's ( Newton Howard or Horner), will be hired. I am tired of James Horner, and Hans Zimmer, but James Newton Howard might do ok........

I WANT one of many people to score: either Alan Silvestri ( where has he gone?), Thomas Newman, or ( BIIIIIIIGGGGG stretch), Tan Dun. Harry Gregson Williams is ok as well, and if they CAN get John Williams..... than they should!!!!!!

Whadda'ya think?

2. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Williams's schedule is pretty tight for the rest of this year... Memoirs of a Geisha right now, then Spielberg's Munich, both set for a December release. His next project will probably be the fourth Indiana Jones.

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Personally, I THINK one of the two James's ( Newton Howard or Horner), will be hired. I am tired of James Horner, and Hans Zimmer, but James Newton Howard might do ok........

Well, this is the director's debut film, so he hasn't had a chance to form a working relationship with any composers, but JNH has scored two of the last four movies he's worked on, so I guess that might maybe be in his favor, but I'm not fond of any of these choices for this project.

I WANT one of many people to score: either Alan Silvestri ( where has he gone?), Thomas Newman, or ( BIIIIIIIGGGGG stretch), Tan Dun. Harry Gregson Williams is ok as well, and if they CAN get John Williams..... than they should!!!!!

Alan Silvestri I've never cared for much. He's pretty good at creating quite good, memorable themes, but not the best, and his filler music bores the crap out of me. I almost never listen to a Silvestri's score, and none of them are among my favorites. I'm also not a great Newman fan, and, Finding Nemo and ASOUE notwithstanding, don't think his sensibilities might be the best for this particular project. Tan Dun I could take or leave a film composer. the HG-W suggestion leaves me cold here.

I wouldn't mind seeing Randy Edelman score another dragon movie. He hasn't done anything good in a while, but he's written some of the most memorable themes in Hollywood, and his good scores might even have occasionally been great given an orchestra rather than the electronic instrumentation and layering he relies on. Having said Edelman, I'd also love to see Cliff Eidelman stretch his wings again on a project of this magnitude. Certainly one of the best composers out there at creating new fantasy worlds in music is Basil Poledouris, if they could get him to come back into the biz. And, based on the strength of Steamboy alone, I'd like to see what Steve Jablonsky could do -- or another MV guy, I forget his name, his only scoring credit is D&D. Burwell Carter Smith or something. Of course, none of these guys is likely.

I'm betting with absolutely no basis, it'll be Hans Zimmer, James Newton Howard or David Newman.

4. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Oh, boy. That's what I get for posting at 2.00 in the morning without having slept for too many days.

5. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Well, it's confirmed. Patrick Doyle.

6. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid

The-Tennis-Ball-Kid Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2004
    Oooh, another Doyle score to look forward to. He's getting fairly busy....

ttbk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.