main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Errant Venture - book club discussion/info

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by ThomSolo, Oct 3, 2004.

1. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    Well, that was an interesting discussion today! Opinions of the first Darth Bane book ranged from "great" to "eh, it was okay" to "horrible"... personally, I fell in the middle category. It wasn't entirely wretched, but it wasn't a superb effort by any means. *shrug* Hopefully--for DrJawa's sake, since he reads all Star Wars books regardless of expected quality--the follow-up will benefit from constructive criticism, a more on-top-of-things editor, and (as suggested by DrJ) a few classes in novel-writing at the local community college.

One of the advantages of a book set in previously-unexplored continuity, with all-new characters, is that we get a freer hand in "casting" it. Here's the list for this book:

Darth Bane - Vin Diesel (I pretty much vetoed any other suggestion...)
    Lord Kaan - Gerard Butler (proven capable as a charismatic leader of devoted followers in 300)
    Lord Kopecz - Michael Clarke Duncan (I got the impression that Kopecz was a large, tough man... MCD fills the bill admirably)
    Lord Qordis - Alan Rickman (from Snape to Sith...)
    Blademaster Kas'im - Chow Yun Fat (Maggie and Laura suggested him, and who could say no?)
    Githany - Elisha Dushku (as Faith on Buffy, she showed that she could be tough and sexy all together)
    Sirak - Djimon Hounsou (recalling his fighting performance in Gladiator)

Lord Hoth - Kenneth Branagh (recalling his titular performance in Henry V, plus he can play obsessed fairly well)
    Valenthyne Farfallah - Hugh Grant (the fop!)
    Pernicar - Jeremy Irons (the voice of reason)

Rain/Zannah - either Dakota Fanning or her sister, whichever is closer to the right age
    Bane's dad - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson

2. Rogue4809

Rogue4809 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 2, 2003
    At Saturday's meeting we discussed changing books for August. However, I discovered that the release date for Republic Commando: True Colors has been pushed back to October 30, 2007.

So we will stick with Exhile, the first Legacy novel, for August.

See you all there - and sorry for the confusion!

3. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    pushed back! Boooo!

Nonetheless, either book will be a great discussion.

4. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Actually, Betrayal is the first book of Legacy of the Force. Exile is the fourth book.

Phil

5. kosure

kosure Jedi Master star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    Even though I didn't read Darth Bane I was sorry to miss Book Club this month. I swear, on everything holy, I'll be at the next one. It'll be nice to finally get into the Legacy Era.

6. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    hopefully I will be able to get a schedule that will allow me to do book club again soon.

7. Rogue4809

Aug 2, 2003
    Absolutely right Phil! My bad.

8. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    Yeah, I was wondering about that when I checked the system on Sunday night and saw the 10/30/07 pub date. [face_frustrated]

9. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Nov 26, 2000
    Due to some family business, I won't be able to attend tomorrow's meeting. I may be able to join you guys for lunch.

Phil

10. DrJawa

DrJawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    I'm out this month too. But I'll be there next month and since it's September there's always the possibility of cupcakes.....

11. kosure

Mar 5, 2004
    Oh dear. I wonder who showed up.

12. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Nov 26, 2000
    I was able to make Book Club after all. Dan, Laura, Maggie, Gabriel, Thom, and I had a lively discussion (although I did not get a chance to finish rereading the book). The rest of us minus Dan had lunch at Bennigans, then took a walk to Gotham City. True story. Gabriel took a snapshot.

Phil

13. Angelus_Kalen

Angelus_Kalen Jedi Youngling

Jan 30, 2007
    If anyone is interested in seeing said photo(s), you will just have to come to the next book club. I'm sure there if I were to post the pictures, the Gotham PD will come after me. Sure they said no photos allowed, but you have to be a bit sneakier. Thanks to Maggie for providing some cover.

-Gabriel

14. Rogue4809

Aug 2, 2003
    What happens at book club almost always stays at book club

15. doc4converse

doc4converse Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    Phil, you left me out, but then again my name isn't spelled anywhere in my profile.

Anyway, when I started looking on-line about reviews concerning Betrayal, I got spoiled on who gets killed in the later books :(

Marlyn

16. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Nov 26, 2000
    Sorry, Marlyn, my mind blanked. I think Jacen game me a Force noogie.

Phil

17. doc4converse

doc4converse Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    It's alright :), but Jacen is very very bad...

18. kosure

Mar 5, 2004
    The Wookiepedia has started a new and infuriating thing of putting the little literary cross thing next to people's names who've died in the EU, (in some lists). As a result I know everyone who's alive or dead. I guess I'll just have to be surprised by the how. Man, I hate the how.

19. DrJawa

Apr 22, 2005
    Inferno came out this week and I have to say that I'm loving this series. I haven't finished Inferno yet but it's already had a number of classic scenes with one that finally made Luke tough as nails which was nice. There was also the one with Leia and the Ewok and no, I'm not kidding.....

20. DrJawa

Apr 22, 2005
    Still not finished with Inferno but am absolutely shocked by the events so far.....I can't wait to talk about it.......shocked......

21. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    Star Wars Vault,

another book to buy?

http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/ref/news20070314.html

[image=http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/ref/img/20070314_1_bg.jpg]

22. kosure

Mar 5, 2004
    Even though I bought the book today (and already got through a significant portion of it) I won't be able to come to book club this month because my Mother's going to be in town, and the 22nd is her Birthday. If it weren't I'd be coming anyway... Oh book club, I'll see you again, sometime.

23. Fett402

Fett402 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 3, 2005
    Inferno...all I got to say is...WOW!!!!!!! I have not read a book that fast EVER! I couldn't put the thing down! If I still lived up north and you discussed this book or any in this series I'd be there, but I can't with no job right now....

For those of you who have not read this series....GET ON IT!! I can not wait to see how all this ends!

24. DrJawa

Apr 22, 2005
    Yeah, that book was incredible and I'm still shocked and in disbelief at some of the events that took place. The wait for the next book is going to be waaaaay too long.

25. JodoKast74

JodoKast74 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    Looks like I will actually be able to attend book club this Saturday!!!