main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Errant Venture - book club discussion/info

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by ThomSolo, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Dex_Luminara

Dex_Luminara Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2004
    That is sooo awesome! Congrats on the lightsaber steal!!! We haven't even gotten to the meeting yet and the general consensus seems to be that the book has been VERY well recieved in the inner circle of geekdom. Well, I'm sure they be inviting the author to CIII then!

[note to self: Always Always Always bug the sales people about "What's in the box?!"]

2. nalan1138

nalan1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 2, 2002
    Jeez NOW i have to check borders too??? when will it end

And as far as this book is concerned, it does answer a LOT of questions. Plus, the last 1/3 of the book, i found it hard to put down.

I think it is more like an actually movie than anything

3. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    I didn't get much time to read last night...but am nearing the end 1/3 fast.....sadly...I have a bunch of meetings at night this week and am busy all the way to Saturday night...so sqeezing in read time will be difficult....but I am so anxious to finish it...and I am going to go back through it a second time...and hightlight!

btw...Jedi Geek says there is also a lightsaber behind the counter at a Borders near her.......

and Nalan....it NEVER ends....
    :D

4. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    I'm about 80 pages into the book, awesome so far.
    For all of you afraid to read the current book because of spoliers, here's my advice, don't read this book! It's an awesome book but there are already two things that I didn't want to know, in the first 80 pages. Read it end of May, cuz it is awesome.
    Yes, I am a psycho about spoliers, but those of us that are trying to be spolier free have to be. So many little things can add up.
    By no means do I want to discourage people from coming to bookclub. I enjoy them so much that I'm willing to take the spoiler hit on this book. This doesn't mean you shouldn't come to lunch with us afterward either. We generally move on to other topics by the time lunch rolls around.

5. Lt_Dak-Ferris

Lt_Dak-Ferris Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2003
    I finished on Monday. I also enjoyed it tremendously. It's another shining example of the high quality of Clone Wars novels and comics.

I definitely think Sithy made the right choice in not reading this book. [Possible Labyrinth of Evil, Clone Wars Cartoon, and ROTS spoilers below . . . highlight to read]

This book takes you right up to the exact opening moment of Episode III. It must cover the opening crawl of the film, although I haven't checked. From what I've been told, much of what occurs in the book will also be seen in the Clone Wars cartoons coming in March. Also, the "Reversal of Fortune" webstrip at Starwars.com (available to hyperspace members only), covers the same ground.

Even though I want to remain spoiler free for ROTS, I still think that this novel will ADD to my enjoyment of the film, rather than detract from it. I am more excited than ever about what is going to happpen in the film because I know what came before.

I guess that also gets at why I love the EU. By knowing more about the characters, places, and events in the film . . . I love and care about the film even more.

6. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    Loved the book bought it yesterday at 1pm during lunch started at 1:45pm yesterday then finished today at 3:50pm great book

7. DestinyFroste

DestinyFroste Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2002
    [color=660099]I started it, only about 100 pages in due to only being able to read between a double at work yesterday and then today between work and dance class. I have tomorrow off though, so the plan is to actually have this one finished for the meeting. It's good so far.[/color]

8. flippingyodacola

flippingyodacola Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 27, 2003
    I haven't been able to get a copy of it, and by the looks of things, it doesn't look like Ill be able to.
    See everyone at skating!

9. JediGeek

JediGeek Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 7, 2003
    Hey Destiny, If you don't get to finish the book by the time you come to my house, we can LISTEN to it in the car on the way. I also have the book on CD.

10. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    I REALLY wish I could join you guys for the discussion on this book....I finished it....loved it...

I will be at Northeastern University all day today ...and I mean ALL day...

I also think that reading this book before ROTS will really help enjoy the movie...

one of the things that I wasn't 100% sure on was why Grevious kidnapped Palpatine in the first place...was it to throw off the Jedi who were zeroing in on him....was Grevious kept in the dark about Palpatine's identity just to further the delusion....

And soooo wierd that Obi-Wan was actually "throwing" Anakin into Palpatine's plans by sending him Palpy for advice and counsel...

Cheryl...take notes!
    :D

11. DestinyFroste

DestinyFroste Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2002
    [color=660099]Cheryl....BRING IT!

Less than 100 pages left...thats what I get for picking up a shift for a closer. GRRRRR! But I needed the money to pay for my CIII reg, so at least I sacrificed some geekdom for the sake of a greater geekdom ;).[/color]

12. Schph_Gochi

Jun 17, 2002
    I heard you guys had a really good turn out...if there was ever a Book Club meeting I was sad to miss....it was this one.....

so....
    what was the consensus?

spoiler?
    not spoiler?

good....bad....indifferent...

key points discussed?
    c'mon....toss me a bone...lol...

13. kosure

kosure Jedi Master star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    Well, some of the spoilers people said there was a bit of a big one near the begining if I remember. But none of us non-spoilers wanted to hear what it was. All-in-all, not terribly spoiler written.

And whether we like it or not, I don't think anyone gave it a thumbs down. Someones usually at least a hlaf way. But this one was superb. (or at least thats the consensus)

14. kosure

kosure Jedi Master star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    I WONT BE THERE AGAIN!!!. Man, I really have too much to do in my life. I can't believe that I'm going to be missing book club again even though I waded through the three feet of crap that was this book. Man.

15. nalan1138

nalan1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 2, 2002
    Is there going to be a meeting this here weekend still? I just checked the schedule and it certainly looks that way, so i figured i would """BUMP""" the thread as a reminder. I will be there, but a bit later, since i am a going apartment shopping. Here is to hoping that the next ones are not right next to trains and/or flight paths

16. Lt_Dak-Ferris

May 26, 2003
    I'm looking forward to discussin' this one. In addition to reading the book, I'm going to watch the film again and read the comics.

Cos I am that big a nerd.

17. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    HI,

tried to attend March book club
    based on CF-web site info

http://www.chicagoforce.org/events_view.asp?id=163

and so had a nice trip downtown.

sorry to miss out and to miss seeing the
    correct info in the email entitled,

"Chicago Force Meetup April News Letter"

wish me better luck next time.

18. Lt_Dak-Ferris

May 26, 2003
    Oh man.

I am so sorry. That really stinks. We certainly missed you.

For future reference, we always rotate the location city to suburbs. Even months = city. Odd months = burbs.

Also, the schedule on the boards is the most reliable as it is the easiest for most people to access . . . usually the upcoming events are right at the top of the page.

Not that any of this helps you now. Again, my apologies.

19. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    Hi Dan,

thanks for the thoughts:)

I knew I had made an error when I
    asked the Borders downtown staff
    where there was a Fuddruckers nearby,
    (someplace I have never heard of but was
    noted on the CF web page)
    I learned that there do not seem
    to be any of these downtown. Research led me
    to learn that there are 9 such locations
    in the area, and since I now had time
    I thought...
    What the heck. Let's try some at random,
    trying to guess where things might be....
    just for fun.
    At the very least I might learn more that
    I can use for future events. I found
    two on the way home at 3:15 and 4:15,
    based on what little I know about the timing
    from my past experience ice skating day.

Next opportunity to see everyone, will probly
    be at CIII...

because between now and then,
    I will rarely be at my home (or on my own computer)
    as I will be mostly out of town depending on others,
    local libraries, Kinkos, and Univeristies
    for internet access starting the 31 of March

Thanks for the advice on where to look on
    the boards. I feel very new
    to the boards; How they work and are used,
    is still a mystery to me. Will take your advice
    that the CF site (which I thought would be
    the more accurate one), is not a realiable as
    the overall community site at theforce.net

wishing you the best always,

Ed

20. JodoKast74

JodoKast74 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    I apologize to everyone for leaving so abrubtly on Saturday. I didn't want to come off as being rude(I'm wierd, but not rude)but let's say that if I didn't get home, Charlie would have better sleeping quarters than me that evening.

21. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Ed,

Total apologies. I blame myself, I was maintaining both the schedules you see here at Fan Force and also at CF.org and let the one at CF.org kinda slip and someone else was filling in for me makeshift. It was an easy mixup, as the club meeting both Feb & Mar fell on Saturday the 26th. We'll make sure that all of our schedules (FF, CF & the newsletter) all mesh from now on.

Bosh

22. MusicTrooper

Feb 22, 2005
    Dave,

very much appreciate your post above.

Now, onto INDY

23. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    I'd like to suggest eating at Buca di Beppo (521 N. Rush St.) after this month's book club. It's great Southern Italian fare served family style. We should have enough people for that, yet not as many people as the C3 dinner where we'd have to order from a restricted menu. Check out their website for more info.

Phil

24. labyrinth

labyrinth Jedi Youngling

Apr 3, 2005
    I just noticed "Revenge of the Sith" is at my local library on audio cd, so don't forget to check your library for the books!

25. flippingyodacola

flippingyodacola Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 27, 2003
    I dont think I can make book club because a) I didn't read the book and B) I'd have to ride my bike, which wouldn't be too much of a problem, but it wouldn't be fun.
    I would like to go to lunch though, so I think Ill call Gina's cell phone(its the only CF # I have...) at 3 PM to see whats up, and hopefully meet you guys at Buca di Beppo for lunch.