main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Errant Venture - book club discussion/info

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by ThomSolo, Oct 3, 2004.

1. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I never expected Hard Target to be any good either. to me, a book based on a video game based on a movie HAD to be bad.

i'm rocking it too. i'm almost done. my only gripe is that i'm really wanting to read more meaty EU as the film approaches--stuff with characters from the films that will get me further into their mindsets. but that's a me problem not a book problem.

2. Lt_Dak-Ferris

Lt_Dak-Ferris Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2003
    Dartha-

You really need to read Shatterpoint and Labyrinth of Evil to get the stuff you are looking for.

Too bad you are out of time.

3. nalan1138

nalan1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 2, 2002
    "I think it was nalan's first CF event. Is that right?"

Yes it was, and a fine introduction into CF it was. If there would have been 12 people there, i probably would have bolted. But as it turns out, it was anawesome time, and it just keeps getting better.

Unfortunatly i wont make this months book club, got the family coming down that weekend, plus i got to move that weekend also.

And I really wanted to discuss this book too, even though I have not read it yet. (yeah i dig spoilers, but couldnt read the book, i just didnt want the finallity of know the entire movie yet)

4. DarthAstuart

Nov 28, 2000
    ah, but shatterpoint is next on my list, lt. dan.

and i think i may continue this damned fool crusade after the film.

yes, i tremble in terror to think it, but I now believe the EU doesn't suck nearly as much a** as i had previously thought. i don't know how i'll feel as I get into the OT-era stuff--i still feel like the films are so perfect that i don't need to or want to add to their mythology--but we'll see.

5. nalan1138

Mar 2, 2002
    DarthA

You have read Shadows of the Empire right?

If not, it is another good read, i usually cannot stand and of the books used to bridge any of the original trilogy, but that one I read in one sitting.

and I am in total agreement with Dan, Labyrinth of Evil and Shatterpoint are 2 of the best books I have read in a while. (Shadow Hunter being one of my all time faves)

Dan, what was your opinion on Visionairies? That graphic novel that came out about a month ago?

6. Lt_Dak-Ferris

Lt_Dak-Ferris Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2003
    I started to read it . . . but it just seemed too spoiler-ish

7. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Yeah, unlike Labyrinth of Evil, right? :p

8. ThomSolo

ThomSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    Okay, now that the movie has come, everyone who was spoiler-free (except Sithy, judging by his signature) has just over a week to read the ROTS novel. We'll see you out in Schaumburg on the 28th!

Next month, if memory serves, we kick off the NJO!

9. DrJawa

DrJawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    Ah, to be able to discuss the NJO with fellow fans, I can't wait. And if the conversation is anywhere nearly as good as the impromptu book conversation was at the BBQ, well even better! I really look forward to attending these monthly even though I can't this Sat.

Any idea as to when the book club is going to meet in June?

10. Hawk-Bat

Hawk-Bat Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 4, 2003
    I can't attend prom that day and why are you gonna see the movie that weekend again NOOOOO!!!!

11. ThomSolo

Apr 21, 2002
    June's book club will be at the Loop location, in Borders on State St. If you're coming from the NW 'burbs, it's easy to reach via the Blue Line. Do what Destiny and I do... park at Cumberland and take the train in to the Washington stop, then go up, cross over to the Washington station on the Red line, and go up the stairs towards Randolph.

Or you could coordinate with one or both of us. :)

Note that it looks like the June date will be moved up a week, from 6/25 to 6/18, switching places with Black Sun, CF's collector club. This is due to unavoidable scheduling conflicts with the Kane County Toy Show. :D

12. DrJawa

DrJawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    June 18th, that's great as I'll definitely be able to make it and am very excited.

Now because of my general ignorance in regards to traveling downtown there's a good chance I might be contacting you about coordinating. Yes I'm a suburb kind of guy.

Time to go re-read Vector Prime.

13. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    You could always just take the Metra downtown and walk the few blocks from the station to Borders.

That's what I will be doing.

14. Hawk-Bat

Aug 4, 2003
    Bring the DATABANK I WILL.

15. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    AROUND THE SURVIVORS, A PERIMETER CREATE!

16. vaderisone

vaderisone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2002

Please help...I am a member of the South Bend Fan Force and am hoping to start a book club here. I am meeting with one other next Tuesday regarding setting up some ground rules and were to start. Since I know there has been a book club here for several years I would appreciate any info you could share about your successes and failures.

Thanks in advance and MTBWYA

vaderisone

17. DarthAstuart

Nov 28, 2000
    I like Shatterpoint well enough; the writing is terrific, the characterizations are strong, the ideas are awesome, the way this war takes its toll on Mace/the Jedi is fantastic...

but when will this book freaking end???? it's like 5000 pages long!

(sorry I can't be more help with the book club start-up bit, but I think it's just as simple as picking a day/time to meet regularly, then coming up with a book schedule, which is usually just sorta decided peaceably amongst the group as things go forward. phil and/or thom can tell you more...they're the book club gods around here.)

18. ThomSolo

Apr 21, 2002
    Yea, verily do the gods speak unto mortal ears!

DarthA got it pretty much right. Things to do when starting up a Star Wars book group include:

- gauging interest within the club as a whole, so you can estimate how big your book group will be on average

- setting a date/time, based on when the majority of likely attendees would be available... frequency is also a point worth noting, CF runs Errant Venture on a monthly basis, but you might find bimonthly works better if your members need more time between meetings

- finding a location... bookstores are the obvious choice, especially if they have a cafe or designated "events" area, but you could also check at comic shops or the local library

- selecting the first few books... this is especially important if you're holding meetings as a bookstore, so that they can be sure to have a few extra copies on the shelves

19. vaderisone

vaderisone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2002

Thank you for your info

20. DarthAstuart

Nov 28, 2000
    just finished shatterpoint...I think this is one I may re-read someday.

i loved it in concept, but in execution, it kinda failed me. the idea of mace doing the apocalypse now thing in a way that explores the jedi's role in the war, and how it's changing them, etc, is awesome. but way too much stuff happened--i felt like whole sections could have been taken out and the rest of the book could have stitched together around them.

i'm taking a little break from the EU for now...cestus deception is next and it's another 400 pager. i need like 300 page SW novels, tops. tight focused storytelling. i wish shatterpoint had had more focus--that to me was the only thing it lacked.

21. nalan1138

Mar 2, 2002
    "i felt like whole sections could have been taken out and the rest of the book could have stitched together around them."

You sound like a lot of my friends who read the books. I do tend to agree that in some of the EU books it seems like they have a 400 page mark to hit, so the fill it with throw away material that doesnt advance the story, or brings it to a grinding halt.

Of course DarthA's comment could be applied to any number of movies I have watched in the last 5 years including the prequels.

22. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    Just want to double ultral check that the next book is Vector Prime at Borders downtown on June 18. Correct?

23. Hawk-Bat

Aug 4, 2003
    I think it is but it would be nice if they update the events calendar.

24. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    ref

I think it is but it would be nice if they update the events calendar

Hi Hawk-bat, I join you in this request,
    after all

today is June?

right?

Ed

25. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Yes, it is June 18. I just confirmed this yesterday with the new manager at the Borders on State.

Phil