main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ESB Novel/Film

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by JeddleMaster, Sep 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeddleMaster

JeddleMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 16, 2002
    I have a question about the Donald F. Glut novelization of ESB. During the attack on Hoth, right at the end Hobbie slams his snowspeeder into General Veers' AT-AT, killing all on board. Does anyone know if that was in the original script or in a deleted scene? It was an interesting addition.

Thanks!

2. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I don't think it was in the original script, nor was it a deleted screen.

I can say that Hobbie and Veers both survived. . .somehow in the EU.

3. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    That would have been a cool scene to have seen.

4. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    The incident still happened, but Hobbie and Veers both survived, albeit badly injured. Hobbie got stuck into a bacta tank when other Rebels found him. Veers lost his legs and lived the rest of his life in a hoverchair.

5. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003

Ever wonder why the head of the AT-AT explodes after Luke throws a grenade into it's belly?
    The shot of the head exploding was done for the scene where Hobbie crashes into it.
    Somewhere along the line they decided to delete Hobbie's Kamikaze dive but used the shot anyway in conjunction with the one Luke brings down.

Originally the one that Luke gets was supposed to just shake from the explosion and then stop, paralysed still standing.

I heard that the Hobbie scene was changed for 2 reasons - 1. bringing down 3 Walkers was a bit much considering the rebels were meant to be getting thrashed.
    2. the Kamikaze thing didn't seem right.

g

6. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    I read an interview once with the actor who played Hobbie. He mentioned filming a death scene where he flew his Snowspeeder into the head of one of the Walkers, then as he was leaving the set, was told they were short on actors and was asked if he'd like to play one of the pilots in the same Walker. He said, "Okay" and commented (in the interview), "So basically I'm flying into myself." He also mentions that his death was later cut from the film.

7. Salacious_B_Crumb

Salacious_B_Crumb Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 12, 2002
    Hobbie crashes into a SD in ROTJ as well. I find it extremly hard to believe that he would of had survived that one.

8. Zethlin_Maximus

Zethlin_Maximus Jedi Youngling star 4

May 31, 2003
    Yes, the shot was even put into story boards. Try "StarWarsCutScenes.com".

9. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    IIRC, Hobbie was hit by a SD's ion cannon which disabled him from the remainder of the battle. Or at least until he could get his systems back up and running.

10. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Both Hobbie and Veers survived the Battle of Hoth but suffered injuries. Their injuries happend "off screen". Veers died in Dark Empire. Veers son defected to the Rebels.

11. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    Excuse me, but that's all EU drivel written by an independent novelist who never heard about Veers' death at the Battle of Hoth.

The original plan was to have Veers die when the Snowspeeder hit his cockpit. How the hell is someone supposed to of survived such a direct impact at such a high speed and at such a hight I ask you?!

No, the novel and the Lucas storyboards firmly have Veers biting the dust (snow?) in the Battle of Hoth, so I'm sticking by what GL had in mind.

12. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    Excuse me, but that's all EU drivel written by an independent novelist who never heard about Veers' death at the Battle of Hoth

Zethlin: The writers dont randomly write books. They have continuty checkers. If Veers didnt die onscreen it didnt happen until it was writen in the EU.

13. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    That site is really good, too bad none of the videos work though :(

14. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    How the hell is someone supposed to of survived such a direct impact at such a high speed and at such a hight I ask you?!

If the cockpit were more heavily armored than the snowspeeder, it wouldn't be out of the question. Remember that the walker is huge and the snowspeeder relatively small, so conservation of momentum says the walker wouldn't recoil very hard.

15. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    The novelists don't randomly write books? No, they just fantasise about "the further adventures of my favourite characters", to put it in their words, and then put their imaginations for what "could have happened" to their favourite character down into a story. But this all has nothing to do with what GL originally had in mind for that character.

Hmm, How big is a Snowspeeder? Answer: About the same size as an AT-AT cockpit/head. How fast does a Snowspeeder travel? My guess is about the same speed as something like an F-16 or F-5. So, no matter how much armour an AT-AT has, if it were to be hit by something so large that was traveling as fast as a missile, I'd guess that the crew of the walker would be dead meat. And if you remember the only part of the scene to have survived, that of the walker head exploding and the walker then falling over, you'll notice that the cockpit/head totally disintegrates under the force of the collision.

16. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Veers lived because he leaped back into the AT-AT's body, away from the crashing snowspeeder. Hobbie ejected (or was flung from his speeder) and ended up on the ground, where other Rebels found him and got him into bacta.

17. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003

Maybe Hobie's speeder had air-bags. :p
    Luke could do with them in his Speeder and his X-Wing, he's rather prone to crashing both of them in ESB!

As for Veers - he's toast.

g

18. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Yep, Governor Beltane's SD-10's vaporized Veers pretty effectively. ;)

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Also note that, in the novel, Hobbie's crash into Veer's walker occured before the generators were destroyed, so you can't take the novelization's portrayal of events precisely as written.

An AT-AT's head is somewhat larger than a T-47. A T-47 is roughly the same size as an AT-AT's foot, and the head is larger than the foot.

Also, it was NOT Hobbie that crashed into the SSD in ROTJ. That was a different pilot- Green Leader, Arvel Crynyd (sp?).

Anyways, the kamakazi was scripted, storyboarded and filmed, but was deleted (perhaps after they decided to actually let the Imperials blow the generators...which might explain the shoddy FX work of the initial explosion, if it was a last minute addition). The exploding walker head was likely meant to be the result of Hobbie's effort, as the one Luke uses a grenade on, in the script, starts smoking but remains standing and immobilized. They likely merged the two after the crash scene was cut.

To rectify the events of the novel with that of the movie, Hobbie's crash had to have taken place after the generators were blown.

To factor in the EU, "Bacta Boy" managed to eject or survive the crash somehow. Meanwhile, Veers lost his legs but must have managed to have gotten into the neck or body of the walker in time.

20. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Hehe, I was just reading Starfighters of Adumar, and I remembered this scene:

Hobbie: I ought to do promotions for bacta. Bacta is a type of medicine.
    Cheriss: You are not a well man?
    Hobbie: Oh, I'm well enough. It's just that sometimes the ground and I get along a little too vigorously.

21. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    Yes, I've figured it out now thanks to The2ndQuest! The clip where we see Veers look out from behind his view finder to see the reactor explosion was originally shot for him seeing the Snowspeeder approaching the walker's cockpit! The pilots would then be seen yelling and pointing at the speeder moments before the collision. We'd then see the head explode and the walker fall over.

22. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Yep, the shot of Veers looking around the targeting computer after the explosion was meant to be used in Hobbie's crash scene.

23. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    You know, I'm sure I saw that scene completed for the first release of the movie in 1980. And no, it isn't false memories, because as a kid I remembered that scene and felt soooo disappointed that it wasn't included on the vhs copy when it came out on video. ?[face_plain]

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    There have been similar claims mentioned on the various Cut Scene websites, but they've all been attributed to false memories (ie: you read or saw some ESB adaptation or spinoff that had the scene and your memory merged the two).

I recall reading that there is a remote chance that an early screening of ESB somewhere did have the scene in it, but it was just that one screening and it wasn't part of the regular release.

25. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    It might have been a trailer on TV. It couldn't have been the Marvel Comics adaption, because they didn't feature the scene. It couldn't have been the novel, 'cause I didn't read novels in those days (too young). The only times I ever saw anything to do with the film itself, was at the cinema and maybe on a trailer on TV.

I know for a fact that GL tends to like having several versions of his films, all slightly different from one another. Maybe GL does have a master copy somewhere with all the missing scenes in it. If so, maybe it slipped out for a short time into cinemas, especially foreign cinemas? I live in England (where the originals were made), and if I remember right, there was a lot of trouble at the time about copies of ESB being stolen and pirated. Maybe, just maybe, one of these stolen copies was one of the masters with all the cut scenes on it, and somehow it found its way into the local cinemas over here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.