main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit ESB: Original Topps Trading Cards book & SW Galaxy: Original Topps Trading cards book

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Blur, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    I figured both forthcoming the ESB SW Topps Trading Card book (forthcoming in April 2016) and the SW Galaxy Topps card book (already out) deserved their own thread - since they're coming out so close together, I figured I'd create one thread for both.

SW Topps Galaxy book - released recently:

I clearly remember the first series of Star Wars Galaxy cards that came out in '93. I had recently got back into comic collecting at the time (primarily because of Dark Horse's superb Dark Empire comic series) and it was great to see a collection of original SW art cards by well-known (and some not-so well known) comic book artists.

When I got the Galaxy book last week, it temporarily transported me back to 1993/1994 when I was in college & bought the first two sets of thesecards. Very nostalgic! All of the original Galaxy art cards from the first three series are presented in the original size. Very nice. I understand why they didn't include the production art/McQuarrie art in these books, since that's already included in other places.

It's especially nice to see the third series, since I didn't collect these - I just had the first two.

Also enjoyed the history of the Galaxy cards (in the beginning), the ads for the cards (in the back), etc. Very nicely put together book. The foil cover & the extra cards on the back were a great touch as well!

My only gripe is that I wish the book had included more series - it would have been nice if it had included the first five, instead of just the first three. Hopefully there will be more books in the series so they can finish off all of them. I don't have much familiarity with the rest of the series after two, so it will be nice to see the rest of them.

Here's a review of this book: https://blowoutbuzz.wordpress.com/2...-art-collected-in-new-book-from-topps-abrams/

ESB Topps cards book (Vintage) - will be released this April:

I'm looking forward to the ESB card book, since I had fond memories of buying these as a kid. I remember the red & blue bordered cards were the easiest to find; IIRC there was a later yellow border series that was more difficult to find. In any case, it will be very nice to see these all pictured in one book - I was probably a bigger fan of the ESB cards (and the film) than I was the ANH cards...I do like the fact that these cards have production stills from the film.