main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ESB shall reign forever as the greatest Star Wars film of all time.

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by The Mentos® Strikes Back, Jul 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Mentos® Strikes Back

The Mentos® Strikes Back Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2000
    Episode II was a fine, even great Star Wars flick, but after seeing it and TPM, I have come to the conclusion that Episode III will not be as good as ESB and that ESB shall reign forever as the greatest Star Wars film of all time.

2. Fingorfin

Fingorfin Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2001
    I suspect that you may be right, but I would not be sad to see it replaced by Episode III.

3. merlin

merlin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 1999
    [color=663300]now you know this should stay in the Classic Trilogy board. :)

but in anycase, I will agree. ESB is prolly always going to be the best. :D[/color]

4. Jabachile

Jabachile Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    See the CT board.

I agree, though...ESB does rock quite a bit, but I have a feeling that Ep III will come close.

5. The Mentos® Strikes Back

Apr 4, 2000
    Either or, I chose this board. :D

6. WishboneKenobi

WishboneKenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2002
    I think it is an apropiate issue for this forum because we are asking will Episode III beat ESB, the greatest Star Wars film Ever!!!
    I think that would be hard but I am hopefull.

7. Boba_Phat

Boba_Phat Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2000
    Even though a lot of Star Wars fans may think its the best it's not my favorite.

8. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    ESB is the best made, but AOTC is my favourite. Ep 3 could very well be the best, with all the events that will take place, the emotion, mixed with the effects, it has all the ingredients. As long as some people give it a chance and dont determain its fate before its even released...

9. son-of-skywalker13

son-of-skywalker13 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 27, 2002
    empire is probably my favorite but after i watch attack of the clones 10 more times we will see what i think.

i am trying not to get my hopes up too much for Ep.3

10. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    ESB isn't even the best OT movie, let alone best SW movie.

IMO, AOTC, ANH, and to an extent, ROTJ are better films, though ESB is still great, and TPM is good, but not great. Basically I love all of them but I'm sick of people saying ESB is the best.

11. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    I don't think many movies could beat ESB. I can only hope that Ep3 will come close. AOTC was great but nowhere near as great as ESB.

12. ami-padme

ami-padme Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 19, 1999
    ESB shall reign forever as the greatest Star Wars film of all time.

Sure it will...to those particular fans who like it the best.

For those of us to whom it's never been considered the greatest (I love all 5 films, but TESB is not my favorite of the saga, or the OT), I don't think the "forever" thing applies.

This is just a matter of personal opinion...and personally, I definitely think Ep. III could top Empire. :)

13. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    IMO, TPM was better than ROTJ. AOTC was almost as good as ANH. So I think Episode III can easily match or even surpass ESB.

We shall see . . .

14. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    In 2005, the order will be.

1) Episode 3
    2) AOTC
    3) ESB
    4) ANH
    5) ROJ
    6) TPM

Honestly, we can't really compare ESB to AOTC, until the film hits video stores. Then only can we truly test its staying power.

15. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    I hate ranking the films because then the ones at the bottom (for me: TPM and ESB) are seen as "bad", when merely the others have slightly (only slightly) rewatchability or familiarness.

I mean, with only six movies, they're all pretty close with me, but one of em has to bring in the bottom, you know?

Unless you rank them as follows:

1. Star Wars

16. HotsForTahiri78

HotsForTahiri78 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    We shall see i hear episode three is designed after ESB with the a big battle in the beginning and large times to expand on the exposition. Of course there are the duelzzz..........:)

17. The Mentos® Strikes Back

Apr 4, 2000
  18. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    ESB is my favorite as well, however, Ep3 could replace it-Heck, AOTC so far as come close and may, in fact, replace it once I watch it a few more times. I think ep3 will be very, very, very depressing, though.

There will never be such a thing as the "greatest" SW movie though, everyone has different opinions.

19. WellKnownCharacter

WellKnownCharacter Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2002
    I bet my testicles that Episode III will be the best overall.
    It has the most potential and after Episode 2 I feel very confident that Lucas is gonna deliver the goods.

20. Darth_Jaxon

Darth_Jaxon Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 19, 2001
    I can't imagine EPIII being better than TESB. However, it may move into the number 2 spot. I honestly can't imagine how anyone doesn't find TESB to be the greatest of all Star Wars movies. I know everyone has their own opinion and their own taste. TESB just have everything you could possibly want though.

21. -TheOne-

-TheOne- Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2002
    I agree, ESB is one of the best Star Wars films. It's hard to compare them all because they all kick ass.But I have a feeling Ep III will be very good. The story is one that some of us have been waiting for for over 20 years. Anikan turning to the dark side, the end of the jedi order. This next Episode will be very exiting. We'll just have to wait and see.

22. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    Here's where I stand on this issue. First and foremost, I see SW as one big HEXOLOGY-- one that is not yet completed. Having said that, AOTC is my favorite episode of the hexology. GL said in the latest Insider, that Ep3 would be the best of the prequels because it will have "the climax". Quite frankly, I believe him. I'm not going to let my expectations get out of control so that Ep3 is a disappointment no matter what, but I am thinking that Ep3 will push ESB into my 3rd favorite episode in the SW Hexology.

23. Vonn

Vonn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Hate to break it to you, Mentos, but ANH shall reign forever as the greatest Star Wars film of all time (unlike ESB, ANH has the box office receipts, the AFI listing at #15, and the Academy award nominations for Best Picture, Director, and Screenplay to back it up that claim. ESB has NONE of those).

24. OutlawYoda

OutlawYoda Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2002
    ANH is the first star wars movie.. it set everything up.. without it.. there wouldn't be any other star wars movies. everything else is just a continuation and a back story.. think about that. :D

25. Icebreaker

Icebreaker Jedi Master star 4

Aug 20, 2001
    If there ever WAS a Star Wars movie to contend with TESB as the best it would be EP3...though I will reserve my judegement until 2005 when I can see all 6 movies together

~ICeBReaKeR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.