main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ESB, simply the best

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by ValinFett21, Dec 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    Lucas is a fine director. What are generally considered the best moments of RotJ? The throne room scenes. Who directed those scenes and only those scenes from that movie? Lucas.

ANH was directed well. Few would deny it. I don't care what some people say, the PT's direction is very good too. The dialogue might be stiff (the OT's was just as bad, but in different ways), but the actors live up to their parts, most definitely.

2. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Once agian I say ESB is the best Episode of the whole Star Wars Saga and then comes ANH, AOTC, ROTJ and TPM.

3. Jedi-Monkey

Jedi-Monkey Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    ESB came pretty close to being the best. The only thing stopping it from doing so is the original, and still the best, Star Wars film. (And I doubt Ep. 3 will change this - although I'm sure it will be every bit as good as the other four sequels/prequels.) So in the end we will have one really, really great film, (ANH,) and five equally, (to each other, NOT to the original,) great follow-ups.

4. Jedi_Master201

May 5, 2001
    What's so great about ANH?

5. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    it started it all. without it we wouldn't have anything else. it is...the one.

6. Ekenobi

Ekenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2002
    Well it was until AOTC came out. Now AOTC is simply the best. We will see in 2005 if that will change.

7. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    personally, i think ROTJ is the best.

8. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    But I still like ESB. As you all can see it is my icon on here because it is my favroite Star Wars flim.

9. jedi_john_33

Sep 26, 2003
    a little vain are we? ;)

And my icon displays MY love for ROTJ because of the Sebastian Shaw face, who is depicting Anakin Skywalker in his last breath.

10. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Gee, another "Which film is the best" thread [face_plain]

These should all be locked, cos we've had them all before, and no one is gonna change anyone's mind

11. Jedi_Master201

May 5, 2001
    It started it all? Sorry, but that's not enough reason to say that as a film, it's the best. I'd go so far as to say that it's really not enough reason to prefer it over the others.

I judge a movie based on a) its entertainment value, and b) its technical quality. ANH has some entertaining moments, and its at least on par in terms of quality with the PT, which is why I rank it high. But for those who refuse to lower it on their list simply because it was the original, I ask, what are you smoking? :p

12. Jedi-Monkey

Dec 4, 2002
    Great attitude. Nice to know we all still respect the opinions of others.

What's so great about ANH?

What's so great about ANY of them? All five are pretty much the same, and I will go out on a limb and assume that Ep. 3 will be more of the same. They are all riddled with mediocre acting, plotholes, changing characterizations and are more about special effects more than anything else. None of them are in any real way any different from the others.

Personally, I rate the original higher than all the rest because of the feeling I get when I watch it, or when I think about it or whatever. It's the film that turned me into a movie buff and started my love of sci-fi. I don't really care about arguing which one has the best acting, or writing or whatever, since that's all subjective anyway. All I care about is the reaction that it produces in me. That is how I judge a movie to be good. The reason for the feeling is unimportant. That's why I think Judge Dredd is a better movie than Citzen Kane, or Planet of the Apes, (yes, the new one,) is far superior to Casablanca, and Starship Troopers is about 1,000 times a better movie than Titanic. And it's why Star Wars is better than any of its sequels.

Wow. I managed to explain all that without insinuating anyone who diagrees with me has to be on drugs. Will wonders never cease?

13. jabba_the_nut

jabba_the_nut Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 17, 2003
    One thing that's good about ANH is that it's better than ESB. :D

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=1208546&page=1

Sigh... now there's a classic thead...

14. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    JediMaster201: Lucas is a fine director. What are generally considered the best moments of RotJ? The throne room scenes. Who directed those scenes and only those scenes from that movie? Lucas.

Where does it say that? I heard Lucas just helped with the scene where Vader takes off the mask and dies. I agree those throne room scenes are wonderful.

ESB, ANH... you're simply the best. Better than all the rest.

15. IncomT65

IncomT65 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    These should all be locked, cos we've had them all before, and no one is gonna change anyone's mind

I disagree. In ten years from now, your point of view could have changed.

16. Jedi_Master201

May 5, 2001
    "What's so great about ANY of them? All five are pretty much the same, and I will go out on a limb and assume that Ep. 3 will be more of the same. They are all riddled with mediocre acting, plotholes, changing characterizations and are more about special effects more than anything else. None of them are in any real way any different from the others."

Exactly! So those who try to claim ANH is somehow better made than the others is simply wrong. YOU are entertained by it, so that means you're going to rank it high. Good. But some people rank it hight just for the heck of it, while attacking the others with things that could be said of ANH. Yet they refuse to acknowledge these things because it was the original. See my point? At least you acknowledge that ANH isn't better made than the others, and you don't turn a blind eye to its faults while endlessly attacking the sequels/prequels.

"Where does it say that? I heard Lucas just helped with the scene where Vader takes off the mask and dies. I agree those throne room scenes are wonderful."

I'm not sure he did all the work, but I'm pretty sure he had a hand in most of those scenes.

17. JohnWilliams00

Jan 29, 2002
    Wow, I strongly disagree about them all being the same. I feel the editing in ANH, for example, is just plain better (especially the Death Star trench run and the trash compactor scene -- those scenes will have any first-time viewer sweating) and in terms of scripts, characters such as Yoda and C3PO are much better developed in the OT than the PT imo, because of better writing. If you had only known C3PO from what you've seen in the TPM/AOTC, he would not have nearly the depth he has in the classic trilogy. His lines in the PT are only a tenth, if even that, of what he was given in just ANH alone. But what I don't like is that for the first two films he is so shallowly portrayed, that it makes it inconsistent with what he is all about in ANH. Do I dare say, he is cheapened rather than enriched.

Oh and I think the Han and Leia romance will always be better than Anakin/Padme -- I hesitate to even call that a romance. ;)

The music. Better in the OT.

The ROTJ speeder bike scene -- better than the Coruscant chase scene. ;) The podrace was pretty good though. There's so much more I could give as a technical breakdown (it'd be my opinion of course), but I just hope you don't think it's a proven fact that they are "all the same".

18. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I've never understood people's complaints about Threepio in the PT.

He's comic relief, just as he was in the OT.

He did help a little more with the plot in the OT -- more specifically in ANH, he helps Artoo get bought, and in ROTJ, he helps influence the Ewoks to not eat our heroes.

Threepio never really got to be fleshed out, and he didn't need to be. He's comic relief, and he tells the audience what Artoo is saying.

Artoo was always the one who made things happen between the two anyway. Threepio just kinda talked. It's his lot in life.

I'm not sure what people expected of Threepio in the PT. I think he's been just fine, though I would have liked more screen time for him. I think his arena misadventures are his finest moments in the saga.

Droid abuse... instant comedy gold for five movies running. :D

Rick McCallum loves you!

19. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    "Oh and I think the Han and Leia romance will always be better than Anakin/Padme -- I hesitate to even call that a romance."

For that matter, the relationship between R2 and 3PO in the OT is far less droidlike than the relationship between Anakin and Padme in AOTC.

20. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    I came across an interesting tidbit today. Int he Annotated Screenplay book, Lucas had this comment about ESB:

"The film got attacked for everything."

Sounds familiar, huh?

21. jabba_the_nut

jabba_the_nut Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 17, 2003
    Threepio just ain't funny in the PT. In fact, he's frequently the opposite of funny - he's like a metal Carrot Top, except I never thought Carrot Top was quite as annoying as people make him out to be. Threepio's finest moment was ANH. In ESB it was as if they just tried to make him as annoying as possible. He makes out better in ROTJ.

The droids have never really been all that important to the plot but their placement in the PT seems a little random. In the OT they had a place as the companions of the main characters, but the PT has no stable group of central characters, so they're just sort of there for the heck of it.

22. Jedi-Monkey

Dec 4, 2002
    but I just hope you don't think it's a proven fact that they are "all the same".

Well, there are some people here who think it's a "proven fact" that Empire is the best of the series, because that is what THEY think, and anyone who disagrees is obviously a cretin who knows less than nothing about movies. Or that only the first two are any good at all, and everything produced after Empire is pure crap because those are the only ones THEY like. Or the prequels suck because it isn't what THEY wanted to see. All this in spite of the fact that none of this is based on anything other than OPINION, so it's impossible to be a "proven fact."

By the way, when did anyone here say anything about it being a "proven fact?" Other than you, I mean. I thought everyone here was just giving their opinions.

23. JohnWilliams00

Jan 29, 2002
    By the way, when did anyone here say anything about it being a "proven fact?" Other than you, I mean. I thought everyone here was just giving their opinions.

I thought so too, but I did see someone say "I wish everyone will just admit that all these Star Wars films are the same." That statement sounds about five levels stronger than an innocent opinion. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.