main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ESB skewed towards light side?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: TCG' started by Loyal-Guard, Feb 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loyal-Guard

Loyal-Guard Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2002
    Hello. Haven't posted a message in quite a while. Good to be back. I've kept playing the TCG, although new cards have dried up here for almost a year now, so that's slowed my intrest a bit.

But one store near me has a box of ESB boosters (and when those are gone, im sure they'll tell me the same thing about getting more: "We just put out whatever they tell us to put out.") and I'm pleased at the selection of the set so far.

Now while I might be jumping the gun with this question, since so far I've only got an ESB starter set and a handfull of boosters, I've noticed the new cards play out best for the light side. Espically in the ground arena, with the 50 speed snowspeeders and and Trench Defenders. Now I know that there are plenty of cards that can rectify such things from other sets, but just looking at what I'm pulling, I can't help but see that after playing a few games with the ESB cards, it looks like the light side comes out the best. I could be wrong though. Does anyone else think so?

2. RedneckJedi

RedneckJedi Historian, JediOKC Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 20, 2002
    Actually, I think ESB balanced out the sets more.

Character
    Major improvements for the Dark Side were gained with the new Vaders and the Dark Side Locations.

Ground
    Sure, the Light Side still has the speed advantage in Ground, but it also got few additional heavy hitters. The Dark Side got LOTS of Ground units, and many of them with Armor and lots of power. The Snowtrooper Elite Squad, paired with Vader, makes for a lot of trouble as support units.

Space
    More heavy hitters for the Dark Side, along with some TIEs to frustrate the Light Side and the means to get them out quickly. The Light Side got powerful versions of the Falcon, and a decent add-on in Luke's X-wing (C), and a few other notable exceptions, but not much else.

Battle/Mission
    The Dark Side got a number of nasty little items here, too that just makes the Light Side player roll their eyes. The use of Imperial Misdirection is a great boon for the Dark Side when used on a tank unit and small unit.

3. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    I thought this at first too, but after a while I realized it is more balanced. However I still think it is much easier to build any number af LS decks and the DS ones are harder for me.

What kinda ticks me off is that it is soooo hard to get ESB and a new set is already coming out. If they would just make enough, this game would take off much more. ESB has been soo hard to find though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.