main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Escape From New York reboot

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Mar 24, 2013.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Joel Silver to create a trilogy

You know Joel Silver; 48 Hours, Predator, Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, oh well go HERE and look at his filmography. Some bad things in there, but lots of great things too.

Escape From NY is a cult classic and one great movie. Escape From L.A......um...well...it has a slight fun factor and I love the basketball scene, but this was basically a bad parody. Had it been good, had it lived up to EFNY then right behind that could have been Escape From Earth.

From Earth? Yes. The ispiration from what I understand was to borrow from Neromancer that there was a large space habitat to go to. Neuromancer is a cyberpunk heist film and Snake Plissken being a all around anti hero would fill the nitch nicely.

It says there, the 1st would be a prequel of sorts, then what? Escape from NY? Then perhaps Escape From Earth?

No one is going to make it all look like EFNY again, so perhaps as the various comments in the link suggest that the recent Dredd film would be a decent look for these films.

[​IMG]

2. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    This is easily one of the worst ideas in the history of Hollywood and Joel Silver, whatever his past success, should be lined up against the wall for this transgression.

tom likes this.
  3. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    A worse idea than Escape From L.A.?

4. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    One thing that a Escape From New York remake would have going for it would be that the film makers could more effectively lampshade why Manhattan Island was evacuated of the civilian population and turned into a penal institution. IIRC I read that one draft of a remake screenplay explained that by having had it that some terrorists detonated a nuclear bomb in NYC, and the U.S government decided to put prisoners there after a short time.

I also read that John Carpenter sold the remake rights on the condition that Snake Plisskin stayed a bad-***, i.e. the amoral anti-hero who didn't care for no one but himself, but Hollywood and movie goers don't seem to like such protagonists in their movies. Hollywood always feels like they have to dull the sharp ends of such characters, and I don't see that going away anytime soon.

5. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    Yes. That movie was at least WTF-worthy. This one will likely show us how Snake Plissken lost his eye in a totally extreme skateboarding race, and explain how he became a mercenary because of his absent father whose approval he's been seeking for his entire life.

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I don't know, movie goers liked Captain Jack Sparrow enough for four POTC movies.

7. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    It seems that everyday we hear something that proves that, in one way, Hollywood follows a Biblical principle: The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun. (Ecclesiastes 1:9 KJV)

Juliet316 likes this.
  8. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    Yeah, Snake Plissken and Captain Jack Sparrow are totally the same thing.

9. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I've never seen Escape from New York, but naturally I've seen Escape from L.A.. All I've read is that it's a basic carbon copy of the original film, so I've never felt compelled to see it.

10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Drop this thought and go rent it. Escape From NY is awesome.

11. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Yeah.

EFNY and EFLA do the same things, but EFNY does it ten times better.

12. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    stop rebooting things!!!1!!!!!

tom and Juliet316 like this.
  13. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    you forgot to comment on "snakes lisskin"

14. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I think I'll just stay home and watch Doomsday.