main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Escape is not his plan."

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Grand_Moff_Jawa, Sep 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998

It's all sort of a Bondesque double/triple/quadruple crossing. There are multiple levels to it all.

First things first. Obi-Wan was trying to escape but had a huge sense that he may not make it this time. (His "Destiny on a different path" line was in response to Luke wanting to go on this near suicide mission with him into the depths of the DS to deactivate the Tractor Beam.) He feels old and you can see that he is sensing something is going to happen (His drawing his sabre in the "They are on level 5 and 6 delta" scene) but he is very surprised when he sees Vader at the end of the corridor.

The "You can't win Darth. If my blade finds its mark then you will cease to exist and If you strike me down, I will become more powerful then you can possibly imagine." Was filmed as it's on the DVD extras IIRC. And I bet you he means it.

But as everyone as said - as soon as he starts fighting he realises pretty quick he cannot win the physical battle.

NOW onto Vader.

Remember Vader is a self centred egotist (and worshipping a "hate and anger" cult. A cult based around selfish behaviour.) Of COURSE he thinks Obi-Wan is their for him. He thinks the Universe revolves around him.

But he wasn't.

He also thinks he's being ultra clever by letting the Princess escape - All whilst not realising that the plans have escaped with her!

This is where Obi-Wan wins. He smiles because (at the time of filming) The Princess and more importantly LUKE AND THE PLANS have. (After ESB it's retroactively realised Luke is his son - but even in ANH he's been seen as the "Great White Hope". after ROTJ we roll Leia in as the sister as well.)

Obi-Wan has won. Vader doesn't realise it. The only thing left is to get Luke on that ship. Ben can't escape past Vader and the guards (As it says in the script - they are blocking the way), so he lets himself be destroyed. Knowing he will be far more help to Luke in the Netherworld.

Vader fails because he has no concept about Luke. He's still fighting the battles of the PT not realising we have a new player in town!

Obi-Wan wins because he did what was best for his friends. He didn't have all prepared in some big manipulative plan - he just did one simple thing. He sacrificed himself for their well being.

He wasn't out for revenge.

UKS

2. DarthJuggalo

DarthJuggalo Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2005
    I totally agree with this post.

Obi Wan had every intention on escaping the Death Star on the Falcon. He was on his way back to the landing bay when he was confronted by Vader. He wasn't on some kamikazee mission to face Vader. He was sneaking around the DS trying his best to go undetected and was genuinely suprised at the sight of Vader.

3. AnakinSucks

AnakinSucks Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2005
    Simply this.

Obi-wan knows that he can not possibly lose to Vader, unless it is his will.

He is so much stronger than him in the force, and a better lightsaber master.

Vader thought that he was toast, but old ben fooled him.

4. DarthJuggalo

DarthJuggalo Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 10, 2005

Apparently not.

Deffinately not. Or he wouldn't have died.

He was toast, but old Ben did fool him.

5. princesleiaorgana7

princesleiaorgana7 Jedi Knight

Feb 20, 2007
    Well if you consider on Star Wars three Revenge of the Sith Obi-Wan told Anakin that he had loved him like a brother. I think that they still had a slight force attacment after all those years and that is how Darth Vader sensed that he wasn't going to escape.

6. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    Nopeity nope nope.
    I think that he knew what was coming - here's why...

1. Obi Wan knew that he was a goner when he said goodbye to Luke. It was more than "okay, see you in a few minutes". It was pretty ominous; "your desinty lies on a different path".

2. Obi Wan, in EPIV, was an old man whose use of the force, like the light side Jedi before him, like Mace could tell way back in the Clone Wars (even said this onscreen), was diminshing.

"Your powers are weak, old man."

Vader is saying this in surprise... as if not expected.
    Obi knew that Luke needed to discover and rescue Leia and escape. He had help now, so he let him do it. While not powerful enough anymore to defeat Vader - he commited self-sacrifice (in a way) as a distraction, knowing that Luke MUST succeed and escape.

3. "Escape is not his plan, I must face him alone"

Now if this Vader line isnt a dead giveaway... come ON! Obi Wan's "death" was planned from the moment they set down in the docking bay hangar.

7. princesleiaorgana7

princesleiaorgana7 Jedi Knight

Feb 20, 2007
    I think that Vader was trying to cause Obi-wan to start fearing when he said your powers are weak old man. I don't think that he could sense it. Obi-wan could have won if he wanted to or at least gotten off of the Death Star alive. He could have cut off Darth Vader's hand and ran and joined the others on the ship. Instead he ALLOWED Darth Vader to kill him. It was wasn't because he was weak but because he was wise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.