main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena ESPN Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Aug 2, 2007.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I basically only read Simmons and Grantland. The homerism by the Boston writer re: Wells report recently has been... yeah...

2. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    he did say on twitter he was going 'Full Homer'. But at least coming from him i get a laugh out of it

3. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Wait I think I'm excited now. If this gets him away from doing stuff like filling up ESPN radio with podcasts and back to his bread-and-butter-- while being extra-motivated that he wasn't "wanted" anymore-- we could get some dope new Simmons content. Interesting where he goes from here.

EDIT: Yeah the homerism for the Pats all year up to that too...yeahhhh. At least he's open about it.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    No, I don't mean Simmons' homerism -- he's up-front about it and usually funny -- but the actual ESPN Boston beat writer they have... Weiss, maybe? Yeah, it's been bad.

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Simmons to Turner, please. Imagine him with the current TNT crew?

Also, don't know the last time I actually visited espn.com. just click through links from Grantland writers I follow on Twitter.

Darth Tunes likes this.
  6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    @DarthTunes - Are you okay since the annoucement of Simmons exiting ESPN?

7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I'm fine. :p

This blows in the short term (I was looking forward to today's NBA playoff mailbag/the subsequent mailbags during these playoffs), but in the long term? It's no big deal, mostly... Simmons will land somewhere, The B.S. Report will continue on (I'd imagine/hope), and perhaps we'll get some nice ESPN inside information/gossip from all of this. I worry what will happen to Grantland after this, if the site can survive without his input & stewardship. Concerning ESPN? Despite all of their asshattery, I'll still be watching the following: Around the Horn, PTI, Olbermann, their baseball coverage (until the SNLA blackout is resolved, some of the Dodger games they air are literally the only times in which I can see the Bums on TV) and their NBA coverage, of course (SportsNation can be good from time-to-time). There's enough good to balance out the asshattery... even with the Simmons firing, that's not going to change.

Juliet316 likes this.
  8. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    I could see him doing something like Adam Carolla does. Have his own podcast, do a lot of writing without being tied to a corporate entity

9. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Yeah he really built Grantland into a quality publication, I could see him doing that again.

Yo Tunes the PTI guys are def asshats supreme doe

10. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    They can be from time-to-time, sure, but I still find 'em funny. Plus I've been watching since '03... it's a habit I don't want to give up. :p

11. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    i wish he could just take grantland with him and do that full time

12. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Simmons won't appear on any ESPN platform again for the rest of his contract which ends in Sept.

13. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Great. Because we don't already have to wait long enough between mail bags.

14. LloydChristmas

Sep 3, 2012
    Part bummed-- we've already had back-to-back Bulls/Cavs buzzer-beaters, a Paul Pierce buzzer-beater, another Pierce 3 with **** talk that didn't end so well, an absolutely epic Clippers collapse leading to another Game 7, the Outback Jesus spurring the Cavs forward, and the inevitability of crowning a champ that hasn't seen the trophy in (at least) 17 years. That's right in the Sim's sweet spot.

Part relieved-- he writes about himself a lot too, so spared wading through veiled pissed-off-ness at ESPN to get to good stuff. To say nothing of his rampant homerism and "pompous, insufferable schmuck-itude" re: Deflategate.

INTY TIME TO BOOT UP FAKE BILL

Darth Tunes likes this.
  15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Well, presumably ESPN can't suspened Simmons from Twitter anymore yeah?

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    ESPN, a division of the NFL.

More or less

LloydChristmas likes this.
  18. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    How does Chris Broussard maintain employment? He apparently tweeted out some made-up story about Mark Cuban racing around downtown Houston looking to DeAndre Jordan's address, to which Cuban called him out from his hotel (where he spent all day). This isn't close to the first time that his inadequacy as a reporter has been exposed, and he's essentially a joke/skid mark on ESPN at this point.

Sports reporters should be held to the same standard as other journalists, a la Brian Williams, Lara Logan, Dan Rather, etc.

Darth Tunes likes this.
  19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Like Shefter who tweeted out JPP's Medical Chart?

20. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    because current reporting , especially on ESPN, has degenerated to what someone said on twitter or what a reporter heard from someone's entrourage.

LloydChristmas likes this.
  21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Are there any ESPN personalities you'd prefer over Olberman or Simmons?

22. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Though I greatly enjoyed his return to ESPN, I wouldn't mind an Olbermann return to politics, or some sort of mixed show (ie: sports + politics) on a network like msnbc.

23. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Cowherd is out at ESPN, due to his remarks about baseball players originating from the Dominican Republic.

Was supposed to be heading to FOX, wonder if this jeopardizes that move.

24. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Well I suppose that's reasonable... if the guy has to have a show, it may as well be on a cable station no one watches....
    It might, but I lean no. I think if he didn't have 1 and a half feet out the door at ESPN, they would have given him a suspension but not actually fired him for his remark.

25. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    heels1785

What an egghead. Colin Cowherd, not Larry David. :p

heels1785 likes this.