main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena ESPN Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I'm not a Cowboys fan, and my girlfriend is a Redskins fan - I would have liked to see Dallas way overpay to get him.

2. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Hey, I've seen Yes play college ball, and he's certainly a good pick. No was slightly inconsistent.

3. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    No has tremendous upside potential. They should have taken the chance on him.

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Bumping this on account of one of today's Top Ten Plays being a commercial for the horrible ABC television show "Whipeout".

We get it. You want us to watch the show. Your target audience would rather watch MXC. So don't use the Top 10 on SportsCenter to air a commercial for the show. Just cancel it, we know it's coming.

5. Lane_Winree

Lane_Winree Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2006
    ESPN is awful. Yesterday two of their personalities were going on about how the Tampa Bay Rays success is absolutely terrible and a nightmare scenario for Major League Baseball because they're "eating into the Red Sox and Yankees marketing revenue."

6. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    It won't necessarily hurt the Red Sox or Yankees (I believe all 30 teams split it evenly) but it will hurt the MLBs ad revenue in the playoffs if TB makes it to the WS and 'big market' teams like NY, Boston and even Chicago don't.

It's definitely not a 'nightmare scenario' but it is definitely not a preferred scenario for MLB.

Not that I give 2 cr*ps what MLB thinks or wants. As long as the 2 best teams are there (and one of them is the Red Sox ;) ) I'm fine with it.

7. JediANGELA

JediANGELA Jedi Master star 6

Sep 28, 2002

Fixed[face_plain]

8. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    That's what Wormie really meant. Or at least, my interpretation of Wormie's intention. ;)

But back to the topic at hand...I watched yesterday's late night edition of SportsCenter. I was completely astounded by Steve Levy's lack of knowledge regarding the guy the NBA hired to oversee the officials. Apparently he didn't know that Ron Johnson was from the Army Corps of Engineers, not the regular army. I can understand the confusion - a lot of people on the ESPN board didn't know what was going on. But I would hope that a SportsCenter anchor could figure out the differences by 1am. [face_plain]

9. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Stop putting words in my mouth (or fingers in this case). Especially the "Y" word. [face_sick]

;)

10. JediANGELA

JediANGELA Jedi Master star 6

Sep 28, 2002

Who got swept by the Rays today?

And which team put up an 18 spot?

*waits for the answer*

*And is almost sure that thats going to be the highlight on Sportscenter tomorrow*

11. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Congratulations! You must be so excited that your team is 5 games over .500 and 7.5 games back. BTW, the Yankees have fared no better against TB this year than Boston has.

12. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    I must say that ESPN's coverage of Wimbledon is much better than NBC's

13. SaberJedi2

SaberJedi2 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2007
    I can't watch ESPN for that long anymore. It used to be the first thing I'd turn on and it would stay on until I was up to date with all of the previous day's games. But now it seems as though there's constant filler with sappy montages for some no-name athlete who died that no one has ever heard of. I agree that it's becoming more and more like MTV.

The only thing I can really watch is Baseball Tonight. It's a well done show.

14. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I still watch ESPN a lot, though there are plenty of shows and stuff they do thats more irritating than anything else. But Baseball Tonight is definitely one of the few things in the summer I watch with any regularity (though, tonight, the Braves game takes precedence).

15. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Oh, yeah, it's not that I don't watch ESPN, or frequently visit espn.com or read ESPN the Magazine. I do all of those. A lot. It's just that there's quite a bit about ESPN any more that makes you want to slam your head into a wall.

16. SaberJedi2

SaberJedi2 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2007
    Well pretty much after the Jemele Hill article about the Celtics I had just enough of ESPN. She was a large proponent of having Don Imus fired for what he said, but goes and says the statement about the Celtics and ESPN does just about nothing. Baseball Tonight is just all I can enjoy watching.

17. JediCouncilMember

JediCouncilMember Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2003
    I've been meaning to complain about this for a while, but the "Titletown" thing is soooo irritating.
    I haven't been this annoyed since the "Who's Now" disaster.

18. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I quit paying attention to any "Titletown" segment on ESPN weeks ago. Why, ESPN, why?

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I have no idea why they ran it. They have two outcomes, and both of them suck for ESPN:

1) They give Green Bay the title, as they should, as it's, you know, actually the city's nickname. Then, everyone calls it completely pointless, completely predictable, and a complete waste of time.

2) They give it to someone else, and 90% of the people who care are upset that they would try to steal a nickname away from a small town like Green Bay.

20. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    Yeah, this is ridiculous to try and take a nickname away from a city. Green Bay didn't get the title of Titletown through a cable channel tournament. So how can the nickname be taken away through one?

21. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    The link for voting is up. So we can all go there and vote the hell out of Green Bay.

And really, is that not the stupidest thing of all of this? Not only are doing this, but they're leaving the final vote up to a fan poll on the internet? How stupid is that.

22. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    some fo the selections are stupid. Like Knoxville and Pittsburg

23. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    I hope someone else has a vote to give a city the title "Armpit of America". I'd vote Bristol, Connecticut.

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Of all the choices, you knock Pittsburgh? Seriously?

Five Super Bowl Titles.
    Five World Series Titles.
    Two Stanley Cups
    Birthplace of Arnold Palmer, as well as the hometown of five former Boxing World Champions.
    The Pitt Panthers have 9 claimed football national titles, including two recognized by the AP, plus another two (way long ago) in Men's Basketball.

Really? You want to knock Pittsburgh?

(And, keep in mind, this is coming from a native Clevelander)

25. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    I would vote for Braithwaite, Louisiana but that has nothing to do with sports,