main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena ESPN Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Aug 2, 2007.

1. JediCouncilMember

JediCouncilMember Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2003
    Valdosta for titletown???
    I've never even heard of that place.

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    At least it wasn't Boston or New York.

And, at least it's over.

And, with such a forgettable ending, it'll just fade away, like Who's Now?

3. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    So this isn't as much ESPN as the antics of two of its talking heads, namely Screamin' A Smith and Skip Bayless (need a good nickname for him...).

First and 10 this morning, they're talking about who will eventually make the better NFL QB of Tebow, Bradford, and McCoy (all of whom are coming back...) and Bayless claims Tebow will be the next Brett Favre. Brett Favre? Screamin' A absolutely lost it and couldn't stop laughing, even when they tried to move on. It was hilarious to watch, though, I have to say that.

lol @ Skip Bayless. [face_laugh] I still want to know how he (and Screamin' A, and some others) manage to get paid for this stuff.

4. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Didn't Smith even have his own show? Just wow.

5. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Yeah, he did. I'm pretty sure it didn't last very long, or at least I quit hearing anything about it shortly after it started.

6. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    Quite Frankly lasted a couple of years, but I thought it sucked.

And yes, the exchange this morning was hilarious. If you missed it try and catch the First & 10 replay a little later on.

7. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    I don't think it lasted that long. I thought it was for about 6 months with the last few weeks it being pulled out of prime viewing time and moved to late-night.

8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    According to the Wikipedia article, it ran from August 05 to January 07. But, I seem to recall it having a lot longer run, mainly because every show seemed to last about 7 years.

9. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Try ESPN on a sport they don't know anything about, like hockey. :p

10. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    I can't judge them there, because I don't know anything about hockey, either.

Well, I know a little, like the goal is to put the puck in the net. But that pretty much covers it. :p

11. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    No, non, nyet. The only part of the goalie that isn't protected (generally) is his neck. The goal is to hit the goalie with the puck in the neck.

12. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I'm sort of surprised that no one has mentioned this whole Mount Rushmore of sports idea. Why should my home state (PA) have to duke it out between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia sports legends, and Wyoming gets their own Mount Rushmore? It seems like ESPN will do anything for a controversy. :oops:

13. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    The idea has merit, just state-by-state it kind of fails. And it wasn't well defined. Do you get native sons? Do you get pros who had their careers there for a while? Some odd combination thereof? Poor execution on what could have been a good idea.

14. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    Because the only thing left would be cow pies, and that would make one pathetic argument. ;)

//ducks and runs from DMC

15. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Poor execution on what could have been a good idea.

This. But then, a lot of ESPN stuff could be described like that. Then the rest is just a bad idea from the start :p

16. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    The idea does have some merit, but like you said, it was poorly defined. It would be different if it was the Mount Rushmore of people born in your state/grew up in your state, but even then, there would still be controversy. Where does Ken Griffey, Jr., go? He was born in PA, but grew up in OH, where his dad played for the Reds. There is no perfect way to something like this. I think that it'd be better of city-wise. It would show what fans of a specific city's sports teams view as the most important athletes, and avoid (more) Pittsburgh-Philadelphia (or Dallas-Houston, etc) banter.

Edit - Oh, Trika...you and your cow patties. :p

17. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    lol @ Wilbon and talking about going to Congress over teams getting snubbed from the NCAA tournament.

Seriously? [face_laugh]

18. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Today's ATH show should fall under this category. But at least it was hilarious [face_laugh]

19. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Congress? Over college sport selections?

20. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Let's be glad they don't. They do more than enough in sports as it is :rolleyes:

21. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Well, finally something good is happening at ESPN. As of May 1, Stephen A. Smith is leaving the network. This is good, now if they can just get rid of Skip Bayless, things will be much better there.

22. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    And the average quality of ESPN's personnel takes a big jump!

No idea what he'll do next, but I'm sure it'll be something that involves me seeing/hearing less of him :)

23. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    So ESPN just lied to me on SportsCenter. I'm not sure what (which) the lie was, but two reported pieces of information were rather mutually opposed.

Concerning A-Rod's playing in a intrasquad game today as part of his rehab... first they were on the phone with somebody apparently at the game watching, and he said A-Rod was in the middle of his 5th at bat and then that he struck out, making him 0-5 with 3 Ks and 2 flyouts today. Then maybe 15 minutes later or so, ESPN was again talking about A-Rod, and reported that he had struck out and flied out in his first to at bats, but had just homered in his third at bat. Um, can't have it both ways. :oops:

24. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    You can't trust ESPN, ever.

25. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    This is old news but they were stupid to confirm Erin Andrews was the naked chick in the hotel room video that was supposedly filmed through the peephole.

That video was around for months before they bothered to notice and it was them who confirmed it.