main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena ESPN Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthIntegral, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Can we use this thread to point out the (occasional) stupidity of other sports-news organizations?

lol @ Y! Sports for having this on their "Headlines" section: Crosby return on hold for Pens. :oops: Tell me something that I don't know...

2. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I don't know if this counts as stupidity but I tried to watch the Pitt game tonight on ESPNu and the damn channel wouldn't stay on for more than 10 seconds at a time.

3. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
  4. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I love Herbie's reaction to it.

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    That was beautiful.

6. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I saw that clip on TMZ.com (yes, I like to visit that site :p ) earlier today. ******* fantastic. Of course, it should be a world in which Corso could say that on air without having to apologize for it later.

Laker games cancelled (so far) due to the current NBA lockout: 22[face_frustrated]

7. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

I discovered today that I apparently have a higher success rate in guessing winning teams in the NFL this year than any of the panel of experts at CNN. I'm at 70% so far on the year, they don't have anyone higher than 66%. One guy, Mortensen, is at 57.5%. And here's the thing: since I work all day on Sunday and Monday, not only am I picking better than them, I'm picking better even though I haven't watched a football game this season.

8. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Herbie's reaction was great, but so was Fowler's.

9. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    In light of the Pats beat down of the lousy Chiefs, ESPN's brilliant question of the morning is 'Are the Patriots the best team in the AFC?'

As much as I can't stand the Steelers, I recall them beating the Pat's pretty soundly a couple of weeks ago and there isn't anything to indicate that they can't do it again.

So the answer would be 'No' to that stupid question.

10. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    ESPN loves being in the New England area are always on the Pat's jocks. Tom Brady can do no wrong at ESPN. The defense (even at how bad it is) is always a playoff caliber defense. /end rant

11. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    It's not a stupid question IMO. It's one where the answer is "no, probably not," but it's not a stupid question. They lost 25-17 to the Steelers. It's a loss, but it's not as if they were blown out. Another game could go the other way. Last season, the Patriots blew out the Jets and then got beat by those same Jets less than two months later.

The Patriots have the same record as the Steelers. Steelers lost to teams that are a combined 21-9. Steelers beat teams that are a combined 28-42. Patriots lost to teams that are a combined 18-12. Patriots beat teams that are a combined 31-37. The Steelers have lost to teams that are a bit better than the Patriots have lost to; the Patriots have beaten teams that are a bit better than the Steelers have beaten. Given past history, given the margin between the two teams, I don't think that it's unfair to say that the Steelers are definitively going to beat the Patriots if they meet again.

12. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    I really need to stop posting before I eat breakfast or from my phone. Half of what I posted there wasn't even in English.

13. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    How about this hot story from Sports Illustrated?

[image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2011/writers/andy_staples/11/22/thanksgiving-power-rankings/t1_cfpr_thanksgiving3.jpg]

Yes, that says 'Comparing Top 25 Teams to Thanksgiving Food and Traditions'.

14. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Yeah - he's been theming his top 25 all year. We've had bands, movies, Muppets. Why not Thanksgiving food and traditions? And, besides that, most of them make sense.

15. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    I put on ESPN's First Take this morning, naively hoping I would see some fairly intelligent sports discussion and instead ended up with Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith trying to out-yell each other with their usually idiotic opinions.

16. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    I've noticed that recently First Take has stopped being a morning talk show and just become a all Skip Bayliss yelling at people.

17. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    It's like a train wreck. When I watch it, its to see how big of a fool Bayless be.

18. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Matthew Barnaby got a D-Dub it looks like. Going with his domestic assault problems, that should take care of his ESPN career.

Have fun in non-ESPN sports entertainment with Sean Salisbury, Trev Alberts, and Jay Mariotti.

19. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    They put Screamin' A in with Bayless? Oh yikes...

20. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Lol at vinegar and water, because that's how well the two of them mix. :p

21. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    ...and ESPN's regional breakdown of the Heisman race has South Carolina (and North Carolina) classified as "Mid-Atlantic". Uh, what? Go back to school.

22. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    ESPN will be bound and determined to cover every square inch of the Sandusky case and then talk about it in a segment for way too long.

This story is no longer about sports, if it ever really was in the first place outside of Paterno's role in it.

It's better served on CNN, or whatever, that way ESPN can get back to talking about sports.

23. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    This is something that's be better for Outside the Lines than SportsCenter, if ESPN is determined to cover it so closely.

24. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I don't even know why I bother to turn on First Take at all these days. All Tebow, all the time. :rolleyes:

25. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    It really has gotten pretty ridiculous. Like they needed a new Favre, but they're taking it even further.